• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Christian politicians subvert EU women’s rights bill.

theObserver@hotmail.com

The original report said that conscientious objection should be limited to doctors and nurses but not to medical institutions like hospitals; that doctors and nurses with an objection to a procedure such as abortion must refer the patient to someone who does not have such an objection, and that in emergencies they must carry out the procedures themselves.

The report, previously entitled Women's access to lawful medical care: the problem of unregulated use of conscientious objection, had also suggested that States should compel health-care providers to perform euthanasia on patients under certain circumstances and that a ‘registry of conscientious objectors’ be created.
Twenty-nine amendments were tabled to the report however, transforming the report into a resolution affirming the right to conscientiously object to abortion.

The final resolution of the report read: “no person and no hospital or institution shall be coerced, held liable or discriminated against in any manner because of a refusal to perform, accommodate, assist or submit to an abortion [...].”

Ms McCafferty, the original author of the report, was forced to vote against the final resolution due to its radical transformation.
Council of Europe vote on religious freedom "momentous": Senator

Once again the whims of Christians are given unfair privilege. Patient care should be paramount.

Sync

Uh. What's the issue here? Abortion isn't legal in Ireland. How could the original version have been enforced here in any way shape or form?

The rest of the Irish delegation, Fianna Fáil TDs, Mr Frank Fahey, Ms Cecilia Keaveney and Mr Peter Kelly, Fine Gael TD Mr Patrick Breen and Labour TD Joe Costello along with Fianna Fáil Senator Terry Leyden and Fine Gael Senator Joseph O'Reilly, were not present.
Top stuff....

Last edited:

sondagefaux

The Council of Europe is not an EU institution. The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe is not an EU institution. This resolution is not a law.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Uh. What's the issue here? Abortion isn't legal in Ireland. How could the original version have been enforced here in any way shape or form?
I think the effort under way is to advance causes like abortion and euthenasia to the level where they are percieved as legally established practices in all jurisdictions, whether permitted or not. If fascilitated in common EU law, the inference is that to deny practice of either is to act illegally. The whole campaign circumvents the fact that many people who object to abortion do not do so out of religious beliefs. Yet the campiagn seems to be intent on relegating all objectors to the role of quasi-religous nuts. Inveresly the movement that seeks to ban all abortion could seek to have the ban on capitol punishment extended to abortion. Its all distortion, smoke and mirrors.

What is most objectionable about this story is not the issues of abortion of euthenasia, but the attempt to circumvent the hippocratic oath and force medical practicioners to either stop practicing or face prosecution. The issue of legality is being used to cirumvent morality. That this grubby attempt at a quick victory by the back door has been shot down is welcome news indeed.

Last edited:

Sync

What is most objectionable about this story is not the issues of abortion of euthenasia, but the attempt to circumvent the hypocratic oath and force medical practicioners to either stop practicing or face prosecution. The issue of legality is being used to cirumvent morality.
I'd certainly take that point. I'm pro-choice and very pro-Europe, but we have an agreement that abortion is within the Irish electorate's wheelhouse. Outsiders shouldn't be trying to interfere with that.

sondagefaux

I'd certainly take that point. I'm pro-choice and very pro-Europe, but we have an agreement that abortion is within the Irish electorate's wheelhouse. Outsiders shouldn't be trying to interfere with that.
We have an agreement with the EU.

Neither the Council of Europe, nor the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, which debated and voted on this report, are institutions of the EU.

This report has nothing to do with the EU.

Neither is this report a bill, which is a proposed law.

The thread title should read 'Christian politicians subvert Council of Europe women's rights report'.

Last edited:

Odyessus

I think the effort under way is to advance causes like abortion and euthenasia to the level where they are percieved as legally established practices in all jurisdictions, whether permitted or not. If fascilitated in common EU law, the inference is that to deny practice of either is to act illegally. The whole campaign circumvents the fact that many people who object to abortion do not do so out of religious beliefs. Yet the campiagn seems to be intent on relegating all objectors to the role of quasi-religous nuts. Inveresly the movement that seeks to ban all abortion could seek to have the ban on capitol punishment extended to abortion. Its all distortion, smoke and mirrors.

What is most objectionable about this story is not the issues of abortion of euthenasia, but the attempt to circumvent the hypocratic oath and force medical practicioners to either stop practicing or face prosecution. The issue of legality is being used to cirumvent morality. That this grubby attempt at a quick victory by the back door has been shot down is welcome news indeed.
That's Hippocratic oath, named for Hippocrates, an early Greek doctor; although given the hypocrisy of many who take it, perhaps your spelling is more appropriate. ;)

kerdasi amaq

All this talk about "womens rights" is designed to create a social atmosphere were compulsory abortion becomes acceptable.

"right to choose" really means no right to say NO.

Cato

All this talk about "womens rights" is designed to create a social atmosphere were compulsory abortion becomes acceptable.

"right to choose" really means no right to say NO.
"Compulsory abortion" - what are you talking about? No one is advocating that and many on the pro-choice side would be against that for the same reason that they are for pro-choice - because a women should have freedom over her own body.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
That's Hippocratic oath, named for Hippocrates, an early Greek doctor; although given the hypocrisy of many who take it, perhaps your spelling is more appropriate. ;)
Noted. Thankyou for the correction.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
"Compulsory abortion" - what are you talking about? No one is advocating that and many on the pro-choice side would be against that for the same reason that they are for pro-choice - because a women should have freedom over her own body.
That goes a little further than the subject at hand but there is a comparison. If abortion should be a womans choice, her moral decision - then surely the same courtesy should be extended to medical practicioners? If this motion had been passed I have no doubt it would be the basis for attempted legislation aimed at forcing all medical practioners to carry out procedures some may object too or even in the case of euthanasia, deem unnecessary.

We have limited abortion in Ireland. Should we compell all doctors to carry out such a procedure if requested?

The Field Marshal

theObserver@hotmail.com

Patient care is paramount

To satisfy his/her demonic blood lust,
in true horrific fascist style theObserver@hotmail.com expects nurses & doctors to murder foetus,s.

Forcing anybody against their will to participate in an abortion is the ultimate depravity.
And once my demonic blood lust is finally satiated on the crushed skulls of babies sucked from the womb by an atheist doctor, I will relax with a plate of communion Hosts washed down with a demon goblet of holy water tainted by the curses of pagan witches and feminists.

The Field Marshal

Just because abortion is optional doesnt compel a person to get one FM...
The OP wants to force nurses and doctors to perform them.
Thats the point that you have blindingly missed:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Field Marshal

And once my demonic blood lust is finally satiated on the crushed skulls of babies sucked from the womb by an atheist doctor, I will relax with a plate of communion Hosts washed down with a demon goblet of holy water tainted by the curses of pagan witches and [/B]feminists.

That sums up this vile posters murderous & subhuman hatred & contempt for all living creatures.

sondagefaux

And once my demonic blood lust is finally satiated on the crushed skulls of babies sucked from the womb by an atheist doctor, I will relax with a plate of communion Hosts washed down with a demon goblet of holy water tainted by the curses of pagan witches and feminists.
Mmmm. Can't beat a nice crushed baby skull. :D