• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Christmas Cards from TDs/Senators

Marcos the black

Apparently we (the Taxpayers) foot the bill for €150,000 worth of cards/stamps sent each year by TD'd and senators.

It was suggested yesterday by John Phelan Labour senator that this practice should either be curtailed or cut, or else TD's/Senators should pay for this out of their own pocket. However Fianna Fails Terry Leyden defended this practice and called Phelan a "Scrooge" and accused him of trying to intimidate the rest of the Senators!! (Sorry, heard this on Newstalk this morning, and can't find a link.. maybe someone can provide)

1) Of course TD's/Senators should pay their own Christmas Cards... And who wants them anyway? Would you hang up a card from your local TD?
and
2) What is Leyden doing defending this? Has he learned nothing from the past 5 years??

What do you think? Should cards be paid for by the Taxpayer and was Phelan a "scrooge" by raising the issue?

D

Dylan2010

unless like the one I get from my aunt there is a cheque for $100 in it. Otherwise they need to cop on.

daveL

So sick and tired of these stories...

the fact that they have this allowance is one thing; but most galling aspect is the fact that there are those who still see fit to defend such an allowance...

Bren Boru

This is a no brainer but it again raises issues about the relevance of the Seanad.

We are paying the wages of the likes of Terry Leyden on and off since about 1974. He is a GE electoral reject who plants his ass on a seat in the upper chamber and spouts out self serving rubbish term after term. Ony 2 years ago he interrupted a budget debate in the Seanad to complain about his car being clamped the previous day and how he was now out to get the company responsible.

He represents everything that is archaic, pathetic, selfish, egotistical and shocking about elements of Irish political life.

Of course TD's should pay for their own Christmas cards. But is this really something that merits debate in the upper house of the Oireachtas?

Barrycelona

unless like the one I get from my aunt there is a cheque for $100 in it. Otherwise they need to cop on.
As a member of the Labour party, I get at least 4 letters pm in Govt envelopes. Multiply this out by the number of members in each Political party and you would get enough to pay for a couple of ministerial pensions. What a disgraceful waste. Ask them to stop and they ignore you.

daveL

This is a no brainer but it again raises issues about the relevance of the Seanad.

We are paying the wages of the likes of Terry Leyden on and off since about 1974. He is a GE electoral reject who plants his ass on a seat in the upper chamber and spouts out self serving rubbish term after term. Ony 2 years ago he interrupted a budget debate in the Seanad to complain about his car being clamped the previous day and how he was now out to get the company responsible.

He represents everything that is archaic, pathetic, selfish, egotistical and shocking about elements of Irish political life.

Of course TD's should pay for their own Christmas cards. But is this really something that merits debate in the upper house of the Oireachtas?
well seemingly yes; given it costs 150k a year and the general sentiment is that it should be retained

Rural

We get one every year from one particular politician, dunno what he's thinking as we have never, ever voted for him. Total waste of money, €150,000 is a year's wage for three speech therapists (at least).

meriwether

Just don't send the cards.

FFS.

Politicians don't help themselves sometimes.

Leyden seems like a grade A halfwit, based on this and other issues, it has to be said.

drummed

Total lack of Christmas spirit on display here.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
In this age of mobile phones, presumably a text to supporters would be fine. In fact, a clever politician should text and point out that they are not sending a card to save money.

MacCoise2

Surely there's not a christmas card allowance?

Some TDs choose to use their part of their allowance on christmas cards. i would think thats a complete waste of money designed to be used for politics

B

Boggle

This reminds me of the first thread I ever started about a TD using public money to donate to a local gaa club. They use our money to give themselves an unfair advantage over alternative candidates and think there is nothing wrong with it.

Just another example of something which has been going on for so long that people no onger question it but which betrays the fundamental flaws to our system.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
As a member of the Labour party, I get at least 4 letters pm in Govt envelopes. Multiply this out by the number of members in each Political party and you would get enough to pay for a couple of ministerial pensions. What a disgraceful waste. Ask them to stop and they ignore you.
I get fewer. About once a month. Probably because I'm in foreign parts.

I wish they'd confine themselves to e-mails.

Rural

I wish that family and friends would confine themselves to e-mails too, cards... gimmee a break!

ruserious

Remember getting one from Noel O'Flynn at Christmas 2010. Straight into the fire.