Church tomorrow as normal? Will / should anything be said from the pulpits? Or more?

Nedz Newt

I'll miss it, there's a match on in Thurles, but I'll check in here after for all the news.

robut

I'll miss it, there's a match on in Thurles, but I'll check in here after for all the news.
Well Nedz, at least you are being honest to yourself and everyone else .. I would much prefer if many others were the same across this country.

stopdoingstuff

I think they should restate the same message- life is sacred, abortion is wrong and so on. The last thing they should do is try to fit in with public opinion and look for pats on the head from people who seriously want religion to be wiped out or from apathetic people who have no balls either way. If two thirds of the voters are cool with killing human beings, that just means that two thirds of the voters have made a grave error. The role of the Church should be to preach against that error. If some Catholics do not like that, then they should join the Jaffas or start sucking dicks in the Phoenix park ( though they might actually meet more and not fewer priests of they chose the latter option).

robut

I think they should restate the same message- life is sacred, abortion is wrong and so on. The last thing they should do is try to fit in with public opinion and look for pats on the head from people who seriously want religion to be wiped out or from apathetic people who have no balls either way. If two thirds of the voters are cool with killing human beings, that just means that two thirds of the voters have made a grave error. The role of the church should be to preach against that error. If some Catholics do not like that, then they should join the Jaffas or start sucking dicks in the Phoenix park (though they might actually meet more and not fewer priests of they chose the latter option).
Up to the bold point you were doing well ..

As with any organization of this churches size you have the good and the bad .. because a church is made up of humans I cannot see it as any different from any other organization or population group on this planet - the offending priests were not the majority, far from it, many many good priests and people of faith far out weigh the offending priests. We could go on all night about this aspect but wrong thread.

Again .. in my OP I mean the Church as a larger entity, a faith, beyond the people running it or serving it. And then those who purport to be part of it but decide to disobey its rules and continue to carry on as normal without consequence. Q being should there be consequence?

Last edited:

Half Nelson

toconn

I think they should restate the same message- life is sacred, abortion is wrong and so on. The last thing they should do is try to fit in with public opinion and look for pats on the head from people who seriously want religion to be wiped out or from apathetic people who have no balls either way. If two thirds of the voters are cool with killing human beings, that just means that two thirds of the voters have made a grave error. The role of the Church should be to preach against that error. If some Catholics do not like that, then they should join the Jaffas or start sucking dicks in the Phoenix park ( though they might actually meet more and not fewer priests of they chose the latter option).
Keeping it classy eh

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Numerous reports coming in tonight of various Dioceses having withdrawn altarboy blowjob perks from priests tomorrow due to the abortion result

Cyp

robut

Numerous reports coming in tonight of various Dioceses having withdrawn altarboy blowjob perks from priests tomorrow due to the abortion result

Cyp
And this is an example of a quality "meaningful" contribution you can make here? Why bother?

Last edited:

Bill

How long can the RC church keep that silence up? If the congregation are making up there own rules and disrespecting the Church/belief they pro-port to be a part of then the RC church has lost the room so to speak? When will they stand up to this?
Ports are very important for international trade, I would consider myself very pro-port.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You could have put in an extra exclamation mark there. There's room for it.

To return to the subject no witchdoctor of any tribe anywhere ever set himself up against the mores of the tribe he was witchdoctoring for.

The half-men of the RCC will be the same if they know what's good for them.

Sinnfein1916

Only around one third to 40% attend Church regularly and there is evidence from Skydata polling earlier in the weak that at least 59% of self-described "Catholics" were no voters.
The RTE Exit poll showed that only 30% of voters attend a religious service either weekly or more than once a week, 16% of Yes voters fell into that category.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Going to be interesting for the lads and lasses at the census next time out when they are staring at a figure around 70-75% claiming to be 'catholic' on the form returns.

Mick Mac

I understand they will kneel before God and beg forgiveness and then kneel before the people and begin forgiveness saying we failed God, we failed you and we are the ones who have deadened religion into a bureaucratic hypocrisy divided from you...and we did it all so we could hold onto money.

Catalpast

But as I said in the OP I could also argue with an opposite. The Church doesnt take a hard line .. are they doing a dis-service to there own faith? Every body pretending? Both the Church and the faux believers?
Say what you like but at least John Charles McQuaid

- would have been Rolling Thunder over this one!:evil:

Martin is a Milksop :oops:

derryman

So 65% approx of people voted YES to repeal the 8th / allow abortion. 65% approx turnout. Many of them Roman Catholics, regular church goers and ala carte variety also.

This from what I hear goes against the teachings and beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church?

SO - why would people, politicians who voted YES be going to church tomorrow? Hypocrisy?

For once and for all why arent people just true to themselves and stop going to church? Many want religion and church out of there daily lives any way. I dont understand it ..

In fact should the RC Church just grow a pair at this stage and lay down the laws of the club. Dont like it, then LEAVE. They probably would be doing many people a favour instead of them perpetually living this lie and pretense?

Could this start tomorrow from the pulpit? Or will everyone .. Church and People carry on with the pretense and hypocrisy?

So there .. discuss & debate :D
How about those of us who go to church, do that. And those of us who don't, do that.

Or maybe I might head for a mosque or synagogue and tell them what they should be believing.

A person's conscience is an individual's problem no one else's. Many who voted yes will have done so for the very best of Christian values. They will have been aware of the difficult tragic cases which successive governments failed to legislate for. And have placed their hopes in true and honest government going forward. It makes them no less Christian or Catholic. Indeed many of those who voted yes will be more Christian than some who would control their conscience.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies