Church tomorrow as normal? Will / should anything be said from the pulpits? Or more?

GDPR

Yesterday was the start of Shavuot- the festival to mark the giving of the Law on Mount Sinai in large sections of Second Temple Judaism and in Rabbinic Judaism today. There is something deeply, deeply symbolic about that. I find it hard to believe that it was coincidence.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Yesterday was the start of Shavuot- the festival to mark the giving of the Law on Mount Sinai in large sections of Second Temple Judaism and in Rabbinic Judaism today. There is something deeply, deeply symbolic about that. I find it hard to believe that it was coincidence.
It could also be the situation that you are so immersed in desert-based nonsense from thousands of years ago that you see symbols of it everywhere.

Every day of the year is claimed for some nuttery or other.

Half Nelson

How about those of us who go to church, do that. And those of us who don't, do that.

Or maybe I might head for a mosque or synagogue and tell them what they should be believing.

A person's conscience is an individual's problem no one else's. Many who voted yes will have done so for the very best of Christian values. They will have been aware of the difficult tragic cases which successive governments failed to legislate for. And have placed their hopes in true and honest government going forward. It makes them no less Christian or Catholic. Indeed many of those who voted yes will be more Christian than some who would control their conscience.
The old "Jesus would kill babies for their own good" line.

Will prochoice now stop the wriggling? It seems not.

derryman

The old "Jesus would kill babies for their own good" line.

That is not what I said. And you well know that. What Jesus dud say was "judge not ". Everyone had their own personal understanding of why they cast their vote many will have been with only the tragic cases in mind.

Half Nelson

That is not what I said. And you well know that. What Jesus dud say was "judge not ". Everyone had their own personal understanding of why they cast their vote many will have been with only the tragic cases in mind.
For some, the "tragic cases" will be DS and disabilities - unsightly scars on their perfect world.

Nobody can claim to have voted in ignorance of the intended abortion on demand or the likely far-reaching consequences of their vote.

It's a bit much for anybody to now claim that they voted Yes for Jesus.

Mitsui2

I think you'll find "prochoice" stopped wriggling in the ballot boxes on Friday.

Which part of the phrase "two to one majority" do you have difficulty with?

johnfás

I went to church this morning. We thanked God that we live in a free and democratic country. We listened to reports of poverty and corruption in Venezuela and the DRC. We considered the challenge of the Sermon on the Mount. We prayed for those in distress, poverty and bereaved.

Dr Pat

I went to church this morning. We thanked God that we live in a free and democratic country. We listened to reports of poverty in Venezuela and the DRC. We prayed for those in distress, poverty and bereaved.
You didn'tpray for the future victims of this decision?

de knowledge economy

The Church is not the Communist party. You can disagree with some of its tenets, act according to your conscience, and still be welcome to remain in the Church

gerhard dengler

This is disingenuous. I don't like calling you out on this but I have to. Voting YES was a personal declaration to consent to the removal of the protection of the right to life for the unborn.

Killing another human life through abortion cannot be justified.

derryman

For some, the "tragic cases" will be DS and disabilities - unsightly scars on their perfect world.

Nobody can claim to have voted in ignorance of the intended abortion on demand or the likely far-reaching consequences of their vote.

It's a bit much for anybody to now claim that they voted Yes for Jesus.
I would agree with you on much of what you post
But now you are being bitter and disagreeable. I as a Catholic who believes that abortion is the taking of s human life will be doing everything I can to encourage the preservation of huma life in all its stages . That will not include being judgemental or strident about my values. It is now even more important than ever to use our influence at a personal level and always accept that while we believe we are right our duty as Christians is to lead by example not diktat.

The Nal

Why didn't Jesus come back and tell us how he feels about it? Easily done surely if he really wanted to?

derryman

This is disingenuous. I don't like calling you out on this but I have to. Voting YES was a personal declaration to consent to the removal of the protection of the right to life for the unborn.

Killing another human life through abortion cannot be justified.
Unfortunately not everyone sees it as you and I do. It is now our duty to show by example and Christian love why we are right. Not that others are wrong.

GDPR

I went to church this morning. We thanked God that we live in a free and democratic country. We listened to reports of poverty and corruption in Venezuela and the DRC. We considered the challenge of the Sermon on the Mount. We prayed for those in distress, poverty and bereaved.
Why on earth thank God for a particular form of government particularly the one form that it could be argued that God isn't fond of at all (Book of Numbers Chapter 16- which includes God sending fire down from Heaven to incinerate some of the democrats and splitting the ground sending others tumbling to the earth's core)? Praying for rulers and thanking God for good government when you get it makes sense, thanking God for a particular form particularly when it is governing terribly is extremely silly.

GDPR

The Church is not the Communist party. You can disagree with some of its tenets, act according to your conscience, and still be welcome to remain in the Church
This sounds much more likely Quakerism than anything Christian. If all God wants of us is to follow our own feelings than why bother with Revelation?

Mick Mac

Sounds like a good church.

McTell

Twitter
No

...so long as you sit at the back and shut the .... up.

For most people, churches are for meeting the neighbours. Very few are that interested in dogma, and arguing about it is a complete waste of time when you are supposed to have faith and believe everything you are told.

The church was designed for a mostly illiterate population, and its opposition to free secondary education in 1968 tells you all you need to know.

Fallacy Police

So 65% approx of people voted YES to repeal the 8th / allow abortion. 65% approx turnout. Many of them Roman Catholics, regular church goers and ala carte variety also.

This from what I hear goes against the teachings and beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church?

SO - why would people, politicians who voted YES be going to church tomorrow? Hypocrisy?

For once and for all why arent people just true to themselves and stop going to church? Many want religion and church out of there daily lives any way. I dont understand it ..

In fact should the RC Church just grow a pair at this stage and lay down the laws of the club. Dont like it, then LEAVE. They probably would be doing many people a favour instead of them perpetually living this lie and pretense?

Could this start tomorrow from the pulpit? Or will everyone .. Church and People carry on with the pretense and hypocrisy?

So there .. discuss & debate :D
Pope Francis should excommunicate all the politicians who vote to legalise abortion on demand. That would send a message. They need to start laying down the law. Failing to stick to the churches teachings is what got it into the mess its in.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies