• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

CIE and Student fares

Aristodemus

I was just checking on their website to see the price of a single to Belfast on the Enterprise. The cost was €5 Child, €10 Adult and €20 Student! I thought this was a typo but my son told me that today he was getting a bus from Newbridge and asked for a "student fare". The driver asked him if he wanted a €2 or €3 fare. He said he wanted a €2 fare and the driver said to him "don't ask for a student fare then". I find that incredible.

biteback

Oh and to get the Student fares for certain Bus Eireann and Irish Rail routes, you used to have to buy a €15 Student Travelcard at the start of the year - despite the fact all students are issued with a student card when they start college.

The wonderful, crazy world of CIE eh?

This country sickens me.

S

SeamusNapoleon

With CIE the reason is that the €10 fare is the prebook adult price. If you turn up and buy a ticket on the day its €40+. However, if a student turns up at the last the price is €20.

With Bus Eireann, the reason is they are mad. I remember 10 years ago the bus from Limerick to Shannon was €5 for a student or €4.99 for an adult.
Yeah, a fifteen minute drive.
It costs €9 now for student return.

I hitch now. Stupid motorway expansion.