• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Citizens' Assembly

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
website up Welcome to the Citizens' Assembly - pTools starts tmw
Citizens’ Assembly to consider the following matters and to make such recommendations as it sees fit and report to the Houses of the Oireachtas:
(i) the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution;

(ii) how we best respond to the challenges and opportunities of an ageing population;

(iii) fixed term parliaments; and

(iv) the manner in which referenda are held; and

(v) how the State can make Ireland a leader in tackling climate change; and​
notes that:
- membership of the Assembly will consist of 100 persons as follows:

- a Chairperson to be appointed by the Government; and

- 99 citizens entitled to vote at a referendum, randomly selected so as to be broadly representative of Irish society;
Seanad Éireann - 15/Jul/2016 Prelude

Agenda for first meeting http://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/Meetings/Agenda-for-Inaugural-Meeting.pdf which is just an introduction/planning for further work

Submissions are now invited on the first topic the Assembly will consider, the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution. http://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/Submissions/

FAQ http://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/Resource-Area/FAQ/ more documents and answer to follow after first meetings

The Assembly will meet again on November 25[SUP]th[/SUP] in the Grand Hotel in Malahide, at which time it will commence its consideration of the first item referred to it by the Dáil Resolution; the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution.
The Assembly will be calling for submissions from representative groups, citizen organisations and members of the public outlining their views in advance of Assembly meetings and these submissions will help to form the work programme for the debate. The Chairperson of the Assembly will put in place an Expert Panel on each of these topics. The Panel will reflect different views on the issues to be considered by the Assembly in a balanced way. The membership of the Expert Panel is likely to change depending on the topic and will be approved by the Steering Group, comprised of Assembly members. The Assembly members will deliberate on the each of the topics as outlined and any other matters that may be referred to it. Their conclusions on each topic will form the basis of individual reports and recommendations that will be submitted to the Houses of the Oireachtas.
It is expected that the Assembly will consider the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution over a series of meetings and that the subsequent report on the Eighth Amendment would be submitted to the Houses of the Oireachtas in the first half of 2017.
http://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/News/Media-Notice.html
How were the citizen members selected?

Following a public tendering process, Red C Research and Marketing Ltd were engaged to select the 99 citizen members of the Assembly.
The members were recruited in September and October 2016. The members were chosen at random and are broadly representative of demographic variables as reflected in the Census. The quotas each interviewer had to reach in the district electoral division (DED) they were allocated to were based on the following demographic variables: gender, age and social class.
Interviewers recruited participants by cold calling door-to-door to households. Interviewers selected a start address at random within the area allocated to them. They then tried to complete interviews at every nth house within that specific location. Within each household a random selection process was used to identify the person to try and recruit if more than one person was available.
Direct applications from members of the public to take part in the Assembly were not accepted. Similarly, interviewers were not allowed to recruit friends or family together.
Further details on the methodology used to identify the members is available here.
A booklet was prepared for potential members to provide further advice on what is involved in being a Member, which is available to view here.
Who are the Members - pTools RED C selection methodology https://t.co/WGOaLXo312

Last edited:

ger12

Finbar10

What have items ii and v got to do with the constitution?

What's likely to come out of iv?
It's a bit hard to know what a citizens' assembly would do with items ii and v alright. They are definitely important worthy topics. Experts will called to give testimony for a weekend or two on each. I guess the assembly will draft some kind of resolution, and that will be that. I'm not sure how useful it will really be.

Item iii seems a reasonable enough topic. Not exactly earth-shattering. Semi-fixed terms might have their advantages.

On item iv, most of our establishment and some (but not all) of our political scientists don't seem hugely enamoured with the body of jurisprudence that has grown up around the holding of referenda (Coughlan and McKenna etc.). Some have proposed a system where much of the funding is allocated in proportion to Dáil party strengths. IMO 50/50 allocation is a rather blunt instrument, but nonetheless is an important democratic protection. It's not inconceivable that a Victor Orban like figure could come to power in Ireland at some future time. Having a government then able to throw unlimited financial resources behind a referendum proposal might not then seem such a great idea. This strand, though, has the potential to be interesting. For example, I rather like the idea of preferendums (where voters get to choose between a range of options and the status quo in a referendum, perhaps using PR-STV). An abortion referendum might be a less divisive vote in such an environment. A range of proposals could be put to the people, from no change, to limited cases like fatal fetal abnormalities, rape and incest, to term limits to full repeal.

damus

It would be interesting to pop along and sit in the foyer of the Grand Hotel tomorrow to see how representative the 99 citizens really are :lol:.

ger12

artfoley56

Agenda for first meeting http://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/Meetings/Agenda-for-Inaugural-Meeting.pdf which is just an introduction/planning for further work

Submissions are now invited on the first topic the Assembly will consider, the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution. http://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/Submissions/
Citizens convention should write their own matters for consideration and tell govt to eff off

ger12

The two questions that I'd have is what method will the polling company be using to discern the age or the social class of the 198 citizens. What sort of info are they being provided with access to?
Wondered that too. They rand me once but I can't remember what info they'd asked.

damus

Wondered that too. They rand me once but I can't remember what info they'd asked.
Do you know if the first point of contact is by phone or letter - cos how would a polling company get your phone number? Can you discern people's ages from the electoral roll?

D

Deleted member 17573

The two questions that I'd have is what method will the polling company be using to discern the age or the social class of the 198 citizens. What sort of info are they being provided with access to?
There is a possible innocent explanation - they may simply call random numbers, ask for these details, and keep calling until they get the required mix.

ger12

Do you know if the first point of contact is by phone or letter - cos how would a polling company get your phone number? Can you discern people's ages from the electoral roll?
Call to my mobile. Judging by recent elections/referenda it's in no way an exact science. No clue how they got my mobile, wasn't sharp enough to ask.

GDPR

FAQ FAQ - pTools more documents and answer to follow after first meetings

So 100 régime selected stooges are the citizens of Ireland?

Half Nelson

What does it say about us as a nation when the first item on the agenda is decided by a wealthy foreigner who has chosen Ireland as a useful tool?

freewillie

What does it say about us as a nation when the first item on the agenda is decided by a wealthy foreigner who has chosen Ireland as a useful tool?
On this day in 1920 two Irish patriots, Sean Treacy of Tipperary and Liam O Connell of Cork lost their lives on the streets of Dublin fighting for an Irish Republic with the Dublin Brigade.
We are now being dictated to by the remnants of the East German Communist Party and Irish tax exiles

im axeled

It would be interesting to pop along and sit in the foyer of the Grand Hotel tomorrow to see how representative the 99 citizens really are :lol:.
was this gone into in deatail somewhere, i remember commenting on it, i think

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies