• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Citizen's Petition on Debt Deal

Ribeye

Nope, a deal is only good for the govt, no deal is better for the people, in the long term,

And there isn't going to be a deal, no matter how many people sign that silly petition,

Happytolearn

Nope, a deal is only good for the govt, no deal is better for the people, in the long term,

And there isn't going to be a deal, no matter how many people sign that silly petition,
Surely 3.8 billion extra each year would do some good? (or 3.8 billion less taken out - whichever way you look at it)

cabledude

Surely 3.8 billion extra each year would do some good? (or 3.8 billion less taken out - whichever way you look at it)
Of course it would. But you could sign your own left nut and it would do just about as much good as signing a petition. According to the Government the petition we signed was the General Election in early 2011. More populist nonsense from Tintin O Foole.

Ribeye

I dunno what deal you're hoping for, but that ain't gonna be happening,

And even if it did, the taxes and cuts would not stop,

Rocky

Fintan O Toole is suggesting we sign this petition to let our leaders and those in Europe we expect a deal on the promissory notes. Are you going to sign it? If not why?

We need a citizens' petition on debt deal - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 05, 2013
The ECB really valued their Independence and really oppose the notion that they make decisions based on political pressure, so I really doubt it will make any difference. The government also isn't exactly being quiet about the issue.

Secondly there isn't a hope of us getting a write down.

And thirdly the ECB isn't going to let countries start printing their own money (which is effectively what a write down of the Promissory Notes is), as the Euro couldn't survive if they did.

Happytolearn

Of course it would. But you could sign your own left nut and it would do just about as much good as signing a petition. According to the Government the petition we signed was the General Election in early 2011. More populist nonsense from Tintin O Foole.
I understand everyone's cynicism at this point - but the way I look on it - it can't do any harm to sign it. A petition with 250,000 signatures sent to the troika could hardly be ignored entirely.

Happytolearn

The ECB really valued their Independence and really oppose the notion that they make decisions based on political pressure, so I really doubt it will make any difference. The government also isn't exactly being quiet about the issue.

Secondly there isn't a hope of us getting a write down.

And thirdly the ECB isn't going to let countries start printing their own money (which is effectively what a write down of the Promissory Notes is), as the Euro couldn't survive if they did.
Was it not suggested that they lengthen the promissory note repayment to 40 years - thus making it more affordable?

Ribeye

I understand everyone's cynicism at this point - but the way I look on it - it can't do any harm to sign it. A petition with 250,000 signatures sent to the troika could hardly be ignored entirely.
Wanna bet?

publicrealm

I dunno what deal you're hoping for, but that ain't gonna be happening,

And even if it did, the taxes and cuts would not stop,
It's hard not to suspect that even if someone handed this Government the €3.8 bn they would manage to squander most of it in criminal waste, quangos and mileage allowances.

Sigh..

Ribeye

Was it not suggested that they lengthen the promissory note repayment to 40 years - thus making it more affordable?
I'm not willing to pay the Pro-Note,

Do ye think I'm willing to let my kids pay it?

Happytolearn

Wanna bet?
You're probably right - I think the thrust of the article is that if decisions are being made surely we should at least voice our opinion - even just to know that we at least said we feel we deserve better.

Goa Tse

It won't matter how many people sign this, the fuckin' PN will be paid.

That's not cynicism it's a fact.

Only thing I expect is that the govt and the EU Bankers' Union will continue to enrich themselves at our expense.

The more of us that either emigrate or take our own lives, the better for them. Economic cannon fodder, as I keep saying.

I know we deserve better, everyone from the town drunk to the dogs in the street know, but our opinions don't matter as long as the gamblers get their money back.

H.R. Haldeman

The citizens are represented by their elected leaders.

The subtext to any such petition is that our politicians are either wilfully acting against the national interest, or are so uniquely incompetent that they can't see what the rest of us can (that the bank debt is odious).

I don't buy either of those and this just sounds like populist whinging from FO'T.

Rocky

That's what the government is looking for, although I think they would like even longer.

However from my reading of O'Toole's article the petition is looking for a complete write down.

Ribeye

It's hard not to suspect that even if someone handed this Government the €3.8 bn they would manage to squander most of it in criminal waste, quangos and mileage allowances.

Sigh..
They could fund more studies into the danger of getting fat by living on Chinese take aways!

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
I do not think they are allowed to do that listening to the Mr. IMF + Peter Matthews on VB last nite, we may have to pay the 3.1 Billion in March and dont forget we have another 3.5 Billion to pay in June and another 3.5 Billion to be introduced in the budget later in the year. Add it up = Green shoots and great little country to do business if your ENDA 220'000kpa.

Watcher2

The ECB really valued their Independence and really oppose the notion that they make decisions based on political pressure, so I really doubt it will make any difference. The government also isn't exactly being quiet about the issue. Secondly there isn't a hope of us getting a write down.

Not publicly anyway but I do wonder what is said behind closed doors. Its a terrible cynicsism, buts its one the government (successive governments including this one) has fostered in me.

Ribeye

You're probably right - I think the thrust of the article is that if decisions are being made surely we should at least voice our opinion - even just to know that we at least said we feel we deserve better.
The problem is that that what Fintin is proposing is that we beg the ECB to give us more time to pay an illegal odious debt that has nothing to do with us,

Find me a petition that tells the ECB to go fck themselves and I'll sign it, twice,