City centre speed limit of 30km to be amended

alonso

alonso

jaysus this issue caused a riot on here when it was first discussed.. no one care anymore?

brughahaha

An utter irrelevance given how Gardai and Motorists ignore these stupid speed limits... tokenism by cllrs to try (and fail) to have some relevance

BTW wheres all these wonderful Public Transport improvements Bus Gate was supposed to give us ?? ......... absolutely no change ... still the same brutal service (oh wait haven't they issued an upside down map ...well done) with the customer last on DB's list of concerns

edor

I think they copped on long ago that it was a stupid idea. All that happened was a 1km reduction in speed. Thankfully the gardaí have also given it the attention it deserves in recent times too - none.

alonso

Bru, there has been change to pt services. They've cut back buses!!!!!

Actually they're in the process of completely reorienting the ancient network to reflect reality so stupid duplications of services such as along the N11 are being consolidated and some of the more circuitous routes have been altered.
Network Direct Phase 1 - Dublin Bus

I welcome this plan, but for the fact it's 20 years overdue at least.

As for the speed limit, it is being adhered to in the places where peopel have always driven around 30 kph. Related to the previous point, if Dublin Bus obeyed it, it would work even better

H

The 30kph was a typical idiotic result of the fools in DCC's Transport Commitee,all smoke and mirrors, doing nothing for safety and ignoring the real dangers to pedestrians on the city centre.

Pond life cyclists , I am talking about the 90% plus typical cyclists who constantly run red lights and ignore the rules of the road in the city centre.

Apologies to the few cyclists that obey the rules of the road.

What's the losers name who was most vocal about the 30kph zone? Andy Montague or something? Himself and his fellow cronies have done more damage to Dublins economy with the idiotic 30 kph zones and private car hatred expressed in their policies. They have forced shoppers out of town and made it much more difficult to do commercial business
in town by their anti car and anti business road restrictions.

They have made Dublin an unpleasant and worse place to be, God help you if you are an elderley or disabled pedestrian attempting to cross Dame St!

If they had any genuine concern for safety, instead of requesting the Gardai to target motorists that drive at a safe and correct road speed for the prevailing conditions, they would ensure the Gardai take to task the J.C Decaux cyclopaths (but of course putting manners on J C Decaux's cyclists would not be in their personal interest) and other law breaking cyclists who break the law.

Now how about a refund for any motorist that was hit in the pocket by an over enthusiastic fresh out of Templemore Garda in the early days of the 30kph zone

My Garda friends were right when they said it would be rolled back as it was such a stupid idea in the first place

F.U.B.A.R

I would just like to say to all those who gloated over the 30 limit, laughing at us keen motorists..... up your ****. :D

zzzdr

Good letter in today's IT.

Speed limit unlimited

Madam, – I see the 30km/h limit in Dublin City Centre is to go because people are ignoring it (Home News, October 5th).

Presumably the traffic lights and litter laws will be next, closely followed by any public order legislation.

If only we had some agency whose job it was to enforce the laws of the land. – Yours, etc,

zzzdr

The 30kph was a typical idiotic result of the fools in DCC's Transport Commitee,all smoke and mirrors, doing nothing for safety and ignoring the real dangers to pedestrians on the city centre.

Pond life cyclists , I am talking about the 90% plus typical cyclists who constantly run red lights and ignore the rules of the road in the city centre.

Apologies to the few cyclists that obey the rules of the road.

What's the losers name who was most vocal about the 30kph zone? Andy Montague or something? Himself and his fellow cronies have done more damage to Dublins economy with the idiotic 30 kph zones and private car hatred expressed in their policies. They have forced shoppers out of town and made it much more difficult to do commercial business
in town by their anti car and anti business road restrictions.

They have made Dublin an unpleasant and worse place to be, God help you if you are an elderley or disabled pedestrian attempting to cross Dame St!

If they had any genuine concern for safety, instead of requesting the Gardai to target motorists that drive at a safe and correct road speed for the prevailing conditions, they would ensure the Gardai take to task the J.C Decaux cyclopaths (but of course putting manners on J C Decaux's cyclists would not be in their personal interest) and other law breaking cyclists who break the law.

Now how about a refund for any motorist that was hit in the pocket by an over enthusiastic fresh out of Templemore Garda in the early days of the 30kph zone

My Garda friends were right when they said it would be rolled back as it was such a stupid idea in the first place
30 kph is not a stupid speed for a city centre.

Virtually the danger to pedestrians and cyclists comes from motorised traffic.

All you want is the right to race as fast as you please from one set of traffic lights to the next.

You have a peculiar fixation on cyclists who break the law. The vast majority of law breaking is done by motorists.

Last edited:

zzzdr

I would just like to say to all those who gloated over the 30 limit, laughing at us keen motorists..... up your ****. :D
In response to your cretinous post.

The 30kph limit is still in existence and will remain in force in the majority of the city centre.

Up yours.

McDave

Madam, – I see the 30km/h limit in Dublin City Centre is to go because people are ignoring it (Home News, October 5th).

Presumably the traffic lights and litter laws will be next, closely followed by any public order legislation.

If only we had some agency whose job it was to enforce the laws of the land. – Yours, etc,
+1

Alonso makes some good points on this issue. I have to say though, I was in favour of the speed limits. A major problem as I see it is the trend to build major roads people feel they have a right to drive fast on which happen to cut right through communities where people actually live (e.g. Patrick St, Cork St, N. King St, Gardiner St), not to mention the quays. Regardless of the need for inner and outer rings, we have invested heavily in roads in such a way that conflict between motorists and residents has become inevitable. 30 kph is a small price to pay for local peace of mind.

H

30 kph is not a stupid speed for a city centre.

Virtually the danger to pedestrians and cyclists comes from motorised traffic.

All you want is the right to race as fast as you please from one set of traffic lights to the next.

You have a peculiar fixation on cyclists who break the law. The vast majority of law breaking is done by motorists.
Not another Troll!

Here goes...

Actually you are factually wrong... its the pond life 99% of cyclists who are in the majority in running red lights and breaking the law , you must pay a visit to Garda Headquarters in Harcourt St and have a look at the traffic camera monitors, Temple Bar cameras and a few security cameras that are distributed through the 30kph zone.

You can witness that, Compared to the cyclopaths who constantly break the law and intimidate all road users especially pedestrians, motorists are law abiding saints.

Thank you and goodnight

F.U.B.A.R

In response to your cretinous post.

The 30kph limit is still in existence and will remain in force in the majority of the city centre.

Up yours.
Next time i break a ton up the quays.. i'll think of you. ;):)

McDave

Not another Troll!

Here goes...

Actually you are factually wrong... its the pond life 99% of cyclists who are in the majority in running red lights and breaking the law , you must pay a visit to Garda Headquarters in Harcourt St and have a look at the traffic camera monitors, Temple Bar cameras and a few security cameras that are distributed through the 30kph zone.

You can witness that, Compared to the cyclopaths who constantly break the law and intimidate all road users especially pedestrians, motorists are law abiding saints.

Thank you and goodnight
Maybe you're the troll. Practically the entire traffic system in Dublin city is designed to facilitate car transport, and not to facilitate pedestrians and certainly not cyclists. Take more cars out of the core city centre and give it over to public transport, pedestrians and cyclists. Busgate is a good start.

No doubt there are many rude and inconsiderate cyclists, but that translates to people generally, including pedestrians and car drivers.

zzzdr

Not another Troll!

Here goes...

Thank you and goodnight

"...pond life....cyclopaths...constantly break the law.....motorists are law abiding saints"

And you call me a troll.

Some cyclists break the law, some motorists do etc etc.

Icemancometh

"...pond life....cyclopaths...constantly break the law.....motorists are law abiding saints"

And you call me a troll.

Some cyclists break the law, some motorists do etc etc.
Yeah but how often do you see a motorist break a red light, and how often do you see a cyclist do it?

McDave

Yeah but how often do you see a motorist break a red light, and how often do you see a cyclist do it?
Traffic lights are actually designed to control the behaviour of motorists, with serious penalties for infractions. The circumstances where pedestrians and cyclists break red lights are in the main far more benign. Which is not to say some cyclists are blatant and reckless. But there's no comparison between a cyclist hugging a pavement cycling slowly through a red light and a car doing so.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies