Civil Partnerships: The Long Term Consequences

Roll_On

Attempting to circumvent democracy only weakens the legitimacy your case. Why try to prevent a referendum ? Are all the polls we've been shown wrong ?
a referendum is not required, so i dont see the need to have one, they cost money you know

Luigi Vampa

a referendum is not required, so i dont see the need to have one, they cost money you know
Hardly, we gave six billion to Anglo to bail out FF friends one day last year, and your trying to prevent a simple referendum on cost grounds ? Please. Now your argument really is getting desperate.

Why hold any election if cost is more important ?

It could easily be held on the same day as an election.

Attempting to circumvent democracy only weakens the legitimacy your case. Why try to prevent a referendum ? Are all the polls we've been shown time and time again wrong ?

Lets put the issue to bed, hold the referendum, the sooner its held and passed the sooner gay people can get married.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Hardly, we gave six billion to Anglo to bail out FF friends one day last year, and your trying to prevent a simple referendum on cost grounds ? Please. Now your argument really is getting desperate.

Attempting to circumvent democracy only weakens the legitimacy your case. Why try to prevent a referendum ? Are all the polls we've been shown time and time again wrong ?

Lets put the issue to bed, hold the referendum, the sooner its held and passed the sooner gay people can get married.
Apart from the cost factor and the fact that civil rights should not be up for popular vote, on what basis do you think that a referendum should be held on the issue?

Luigi Vampa

Apart from the cost factor and the fact that civil rights should not be up for popular vote, on what basis do you think that a referendum should be held on the issue?
Attempting to circumvent democracy only weakens the legitimacy of your case. Why try to prevent a referendum ? Are all the polls we've been shown time and time again wrong ?

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Attempting to circumvent democracy only weakens the legitimacy of your case. Why try to prevent a referendum ? Are all the polls we've been shown time and time again wrong ?

Repeating the same line won't win you the argument.

How would the legislator introducing law regarding the issue be circumventing democracy? Nothing would be added or altered with regard to the Constitution.

Unless of course you feel that all areas of civil laws regarding the rights of citizens should be put forward for referendum?

Luigi Vampa

Repeating the same line won't win you the argument.

How would the legislator introducing law regarding the issue be circumventing democracy? Nothing would be added or altered with regard to the Constitution.

Unless of course you feel that all areas of civil laws regarding the rights of citizens should be put forward for referendum?
Ignoring the questions looses you the argument.

You think a technicality excuses you from democracy and that your cause will gain respect for such a side step ? If you want full equality and respect, then put it to the vote.

Are all the polls we've been shown time and time again wrong ?

Let’s put the issue to bed, hold the referendum.

The sooner its held and passed the sooner gay people can get married, why do you wish to delay this ?

If Gay marriage is obtained though a bureaucratic political stroke it will never have any respect. If it is obtained by vote of the people, no one can argue with such a vote.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Ignoring the questions looses you the argument.
:roll: Ok I'll bite.

You think a technicality excuses you from democracy and that your cause will gain respect for such a side step ? If you want full equality and respect, then put it to the vote.
No but you have yet to explain how not holding a referendum on the issue circumvents our particular style of 'democracy'.

Are all the polls we've been shown time and time again wrong ?
Who knows? Only one poll counts.

Let’s put the issue to bed, hold the referendum.
The sooner its held and passed the sooner gay people can get married, why do you wish to delay this ?[/QUOTE]

I don't but I suspect you do. You see, a referendum on this matter would allow people/posters such as yourself to repeat, ad nauseum, the same old tried and tested lines that were trotted out during the divorce referendum, not to mention the Lisbon Treaty referendum.

I personally have no problems with a referendum on the issue but I'm cautious of the precedent it would set and it has yet to be argued successfully the necessity of holding one...

Now on what grounds, apart from those you've already posted numerous times, do you feel a referendum should be held and under what article of the constitution?

btw, I've reported your posts for spamming.

Luigi Vampa

No but you have yet to explain how not holding a referendum on the issue circumvents our particular style of 'democracy'.
So explain how doing everything you possibly can to avoid a referendum is legitimises your cause ? Surely you would like equal status, not some sort of underhand sop ? If no political party has the ball to state its position clearly on the matter then how else can a democratic decision be reached ?

I don't but I suspect you do. You see, a referendum on this matter would allow people/posters such as yourself to repeat, ad nauseum, the same old tried and tested lines that were trotted out during the divorce referendum, not to mention the Lisbon Treaty referendum.
So what was "my" position on the divorce referendum, and the Lisbon Treaty referendum ? I will be most intrested to find that out.

I personally have no problems with a referendum on the issue but I'm cautious of the precedent it would set and it has yet to be argued successfully the necessity of holding one...

Now on what grounds, apart from those you've already posted numerous times, do you feel a referendum should be held and under what article of the constitution?/QUOTE]

Professional opinion is divided on the current constitutionality of gay marriage, would you not like that issue sorted ?

btw, I've reported your posts for spamming.
Good. Trying to get me banned for asking the difficult questions you don’t want asked is a poor substitute for debate, but I will be delighted if you succeed, it only highlights my point.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

So explain how doing everything you possibly can to avoid a referendum is legitimises your cause ? Surely you would like equal status, not some sort of underhand sop ? If no political party has the ball to state its position clearly on the matter then how else can a democratic decision be reached ?
Who said it did? (I just said I have no problem with a referendum, personally :rolleyes:). You think that the legislator, acting on behalf of the constitution and relevant case law, would de-legitimise "my cause" if it enacted laws in the area. Would it then follow on that the same applies for all laws regarding the rights of citizens (already within the constitution) when the legislator acts without the input of the people?

Is it right that civil rights be put to popular vote?

What article of the constitution should be amended if a referendum were to happen?

So what was "my" position on the divorce referendum, and the Lisbon Treaty referendum ? I will be most intrested to find that out.
Annoying and repetitive (to the extreme). You have yet to make your case, effectively, regarding the issues that you have raised here. I refer you to my earlier questions. I await answers.

It's pretty clear that your against gay marriage, which is fine. However I thought since you started this thread you would have at least learned to expand on your point and answer those questions put to you?

Good. Trying to get me banned for asking the difficult questions you don’t want asked is a poor substitute for debate, but I will be delighted if you succeed, it only highlights my point.
Christ on a bike. Do you need it spelled out for you. I am trying to debate with you on the topic. I asked questions and you have obfuscated using the same answer repeatedly. That's spamming. If you get banned (which I doubt) then you only have you to blame.

Roll_On

maybe you dont understand:

1) a referendum is not required because constitutional change is not required.

2)We do not need a referendum on every single issue

3)it costs money

4)in a true democratic republic, the results wouldn't matter.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies