Civil Servants 'Shopping Leave'

drjimryan2

its that time of year again when civil servants traditionally got a half day 'shopping leave'.......

During the downturn this was all supposed to be done away with officially.........

However, my sources tell me its alive and well with managers 'adjusting' the clocks to allow shopping leave....

So as Bertie would say, a blind eye is been cast.........

would it not be better to make it official and to get away from the Bertie years altogether........

ShoutingIsLeadership

its that time of year again when civil servants traditionally got a half day 'shopping leave'.......

During the downturn this was all supposed to be done away with officially.........

However, my sources tell me its alive and well with managers 'adjusting' the clocks to allow shopping leave....

would it not be better to make it official and to get away from the Bertie years altogether........
Our place (private sector) has this unofficial half day for shopping/really long lunch

stopdoingstuff

But anyway, I don't begrudge them their half day. Happy Christmas, civil servants.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Our place (private sector) has this unofficial half day for shopping/really long lunch
Bit of a difference though between a staff lunch around Christmas and a personal day for shopping.

We get a staff lunch and not much happens that afternoon, but I have never heard of anyone in the private sector getting paid time off to go shopping. Between ordering online, later opening hours and the weekend, no reason anyone should have to get time off, especially in the civil service - surely they can use all that sick leave they take as a standard addition to their annual leave to go shopping?

Socratus O' Pericles

Your sources:

McTell

Twitter
No
OP

During the downturn this was all supposed to be done away with officially.........//.......

Next ye'll be moaning about sales of drink over crimbo, but you must see the "leave" as a chance for them to engage fully, if briefly, in the retail extravaganza side of life.

Allowing those of us who sell glitzy baubles to maxx our take.

You know it makes sense.

artfoley56

went in 2011, try to keep up dear boy

ShoutingIsLeadership

Bit of a difference though between a staff lunch around Christmas and a personal day for shopping.

We get a staff lunch and not much happens that afternoon, but I have never heard of anyone in the private sector getting paid time off to go shopping. Between ordering online, later opening hours and the weekend, no reason anyone should have to get time off, especially in the civil service - surely they can use all that sick leave they take as a standard addition to their annual leave to go shopping?
I've just told you that it happens in our place :p

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I've just told you that it happens in our place :p
Not disagreeing, just that I have never heard of it being done?

Not even agreeing with the OP, without some links its just a theory/anecdote, just remarking that it seems highly odd in this day and age?

However, having several close family members in the public service, I am fully aware of their propensity to take more than they are entitled to without any fear of sanction which does pee me off some.

Clipper

Not even agreeing with the OP, without some links its just a theory/anecdote, just remarking that it seems highly odd in this day and age?

However, having several close family members in the public service, I am fully aware of their propensity to take more than they are entitled to without any fear of sanction which does pee me off some.
Its actually quite common. Depends on the area you're in of course, some offices/factories cant facilitate it but productivity levels in general do tend to dip around this time of year regardless. Make of that what you will.

As for the Public Service, it was my understanding all these perks were done away with.

artfoley56

At my current site staff have been told to take two half days. One next Friday, the other the following Friday. They're also given the day after Xmas as a holiday despite it not being a public holiday. Additionally they are expected to take a lunch/afternoon day.

The place is private sector.

cricket

Just checked with two union reps there, one in PS the other in semi-state.
PS rep says this was cancelled years ago, much earlier than 2011.
Semi-state says they never had it, but some of their staff are allowed an extra hour at lunch-time on one day next week. They organise a lunch with a little liquid to aid digestion but they pay for it themselves. Because of operational requirements, only some staff are in a position to attend.

MsDaisyC

Shopping half day gone, no "local agreement" in my building.
Staff return to work after Christmas lunches too (paid for out of their own money).
Offices closed for Christmas & Stephen's Day only, there hasn't been a "priv day" for the 27th for years either.

Watcher2

Do we take your word for it? Any link?

Any leave should be taken from annual leave. If it is, there is no problem.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies