Civil Servants

Damien45

I went into the Department Of Agriculture at 4.30 this afternoon to collect a package, I approached the porter at the counter who was extremely annoyed with me for interrupting him as he was stuck into the history channel he was watching on the television provided for him at reception. He was not alone! his colleague,... a woman in her late 50s, was reading her book. After he put me under complement to pick up the phone to ring upstairs to get my package, I sat down.
I sat there trying not to puke as I looked at him picking his nose, and I hate to say eating it, and 10 minutes later my package was brought down. Civil servants, like these two lay-abouts that has the country on its knees!
See more

TonyBird

That will resonate with many people . Some of those fools are on a power trip . Others are decent though . Its never good to generalize . imo.

Yosser

This resonates with me alright. I have occasion to call in to govt dept. offices and this is the exact scenario I ma faced with. Usually there are at least 2 porters hanging around and also a receptionist.Reading the papers etc.

Goldencircle

Nothing will eve changed because they will hide behind the frontline till the day they leave.

LowIQ

I went into the Department Of Agriculture at 4.30 this afternoon to collect a package, I approached the porter at the counter who was extremely annoyed with me for interrupting him as he was stuck into the history channel he was watching on the television provided for him at reception. He was not alone! his colleague,... a woman in her late 50s, was reading her book. After he put me under complement to pick up the phone to ring upstairs to get my package, I sat down.
I sat there trying not to puke as I looked at him picking his nose, and I hate to say eating it, and 10 minutes later my package was brought down. Civil servants, like these two lay-abouts that has the country on its knees!
See more
I've experienced the same in the private sector. Perhaps it's a class issue?

Mister men

I'm wishing and hoping the IMF come in to this country and sort out the public service mess because we are incapable of doing so.

slumdog1971

No offence meant but what the hell has this got anything to do with an Economic forum?

Two porters on a front door are hardy symptomatic of what is wrong with our public services. I've been treated poorly when I try to ring SKY if there is a problem with my telly Sky. I don't launch into a tirade of abuse against SKY becasue some clown on the other end of the telephone is an idiot.

Don't sweat the small things. There are much bigger problems than some porter picking his nose.

Prester Jim

There are excellent PS out there, far, far more than there are bad but there a few bad apples no doubt.
Porters 50% are useless lazy sods, this from CS depts and 3rd level institutes i have used (former) and worked in as a scientist. Oh and dublin VECs i have worked in. some awful lazy sods with utterly unhelpful attitudes and other great ones that make up for it.
here is another group that are (from the horses mouth) 60%-80% of dentiists that work in 2 dublin hospitals. carry out a bare minimum of procedures and frequently don't attend for days. their bosses often the worst offenders. my friend has been in trouble for working normally and making others look bad. says competence of minority is shocking to boot.
a doctor friend in munster says things are not as bad attendance-wise but laziness and buck passing is the order of the day with a minority and nothing is done about it. He says less Irish docs hired because they are more likely to complain at lack of standards and bad treatment. met some great docs and some that are less great (2 with no bedside maner to speak of and another who caused me to have to do 4 cycles of chemo rather than 3 currently)
social workers, teachers and nurses are to my experience almost uniformly hardworking and committed to their cares (naturally there are bad apples, welcome to the human experience) and social workers overworked to the point of bad health/mental collapse, the govt. like the rest of the irish don't really give a neil prendeville (toss) for the truly vulnerable so why should they properly resource their protectors .
I have found the vast majority of CS to be efficient and polite unlike some on here and having been on the dole previously i found 90% of the SW staff to be good helpful people who are sympathetic.
perhaps the is an element of impolite, unpleasant people with a pre-prepared
atttitude reaping what they sow.
only fireman i have met was the father of a friend and he seemed nice.
garda? many are good people but their is a sizeable chunk that are village bullys, recent behaviour backs this view up. willing defenders of the rich and powerful. scares me a little how easily some would slip into a secret police role given the chance.

Prester Jim

No offence meant but what the hell has this got anything to do with an Economic forum?

Two porters on a front door are hardy symptomatic of what is wrong with our public services. I've been treated poorly when I try to ring SKY if there is a problem with my telly Sky. I don't launch into a tirade of abuse against SKY becasue some clown on the other end of the telephone is an idiot.

Don't sweat the small things. There are much bigger problems than some porter picking his nose.
Ah yeah, thats what i was gonna say;
I have also worked in various private sector companies over the years and saw scary levels af fraud, laziness, incompetence, bullying and profiteering and greed also some good hardworking people.
the only thing that I have seen the private sector do better is create an atmos of backstabbing and fear and I worked in academia.
just my limited experience of course so hardly the be all or end all, but hey I at least am aware that 1 or 2 swallows does not a summer make.;)

also the younger docs i am dealing with now are all excellent from what i can see...

Skin

Not sure what the issue is here. The OP arrived to collect a package (what was the package, I dont recall the Dept of Agriculture ever been a postal depot for the public), he waited 10 mins (my guess is that in general people exaggerate these waiting times), and he got his package. Sounds like a good service.
Ah heck, I just scratched my arse and interest rates on the bond market rose by 0.5%, sh*t!!!

Mister men

Those two porters picking their nose instead of doing a decent day's work are paid through my PAYE. The guy's in sky tv are'nt. Do you see the difference?

Tea Party Patriot

+1

There are a lot more issues worthy of discussion in regard to the PS and CS. You could meet an ignorant porter or receptionist in any sector of the economy.

While I have overall political issues with productivity, pay, and staffing numbers, I can say I have also dealt with some very helpful and friendly people in the civil service.

Macy

Would the "porter" even be civil service? A lot of front desks of office blocks are outsourced security in my experience.

slumdog1971

Those two porters picking their nose instead of doing a decent day's work are paid through my PAYE. The guy's in sky tv are'nt. Do you see the difference?
But they are paid from what you pay sky. It is your money either way.

Surely the issue here is bad service. It has nothing to do with a supposed bad work ethic in the ps as the OP would want you to believe.

I have no problem sacking someone who isn't doing their job properly but I won't use a porter in the Dept of Agriculture as a stick to beat the ps with. It's a bit over the top.

flexbrowne

More labelling........yawn........

See more
I went into a garage the other daya nd the girl behind the counter ignored me while she flicked through a copy of 'Hello' magazine. It's private sector workers like these that has the country on its knees.

Joking aside and being real, to label 28,000 Civil servants because of a personal experience with clearly two awful 'workers' who should be removed immediately imho as all lazy and imcompetent is immature and not worthy of a thread on this site. I trust you reported them and that you will follow it up no? There are
good and bad eggs everywhere. Stop labelling and buying into the consensus.....

p.s I think you'll find its imcompetent greedy politicians, developers, bankers and lack of regulation that has us on our knees....do try and keep up!

Last edited:

flexbrowne

I'm wishing and hoping the IMF come in to this country and sort out the public service mess because we are incapable of doing so.
Do explain the 'mess' in detail please and also detail how the IMF will 'deal' with the mess.
No soundbites please...details..u seem to pretend to know what you're talking about...not.

flexbrowne

p.s You clearly are not a patriot and 'wishing' for us to give away our economic sovereignty so that you can glee whilst teachers and nurses are sacked just goes to show how bitter and twisted Irish people are. Awful stuff really.....

New Threads

Most Replies