• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Civil Service leaks & the crucifixion of Ivor Calley

Maximus

The Secretary General of the Department of Transport has some serious questions to ask his officials over the malicious leaking of confidential internal correspondence to Journalists.

This mornings allegations in the Irish Independent are outrageous, that personal correspondence from Niall Phelan to high level individuals in that department could appear in a news paper clearly indicates a serious lack of discipline within in the Department.

It seems clear certain individuals in the Department of Transport have a vendetta against Minister Calley, one can only speculate as to the source, however a contributor to this mornings Newstalk’s the Breakfast Show may have hit the nail on the head when he said “of course civil servants don’t like Ivor, he expects them to actually work”.

bobbysands81

Leaks from Departments are common place for various reasons at all grades.

Is this an attempt to stand up for Callely?

jdwex

Maximus said:

This mornings allegations in the Irish Independent are outrageous, that personal correspondence from Niall Phelan to high level individuals in that department
It wouldn't be as outrageous as attempting to bribe a civil servant , would it?

Maximus

bobbysands81 said:
Leaks from Departments are common place for various reasons at all grades.

Is this an attempt to stand up for Callely?
I'm not here to stand up for Calley, I don't believe I ever actually even met him, him being from the northside and all that :wink:

You are right everyone knows leaks about policy issues are commonplace; however this situation is different, these malicious leaks have been designed to inflect maximum damage on an individual as opposed to just influencing a policy. Nothing Calley has done in itself is an issue, the officials know that, so now they are leaking issue after issue in an attempt to embarrass the Government in to removing him. This sustained attack on his character crosses the line, it's a disgrace and is a sad day for Democracy.

CrockerJarman

Maximus said:
The Secretary General of the Department of Transport has some serious questions to ask his officials over the malicious leaking of confidential internal correspondence to Journalists.
Well for starters it's a her. Julie O'Neill.

Callely is the poster boy for gombeen politics in this government. The nation won't mourn his loss.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Err, maximus do you think that it might be one of the two people involved in the correspondence that allow the content out into the wild?

"I refer to our meeting at 09.10 hrs this morning at Javaholics Coffee Shop, when you requested me to reconsider my decision of yesterday afternoon to resign my position as your Personal Assistant.

"As I stated to you during our meeting this morning your offer today to personally gift me a new car to encourage me to remain on in my role is wholly inappropriate. In my view you should not have made such an offer and I reject it utterly.

"My decision to resign from my role is, as already stated, irrevocable and I have no wish to receive further representations or offers from you in an attempt to dissuade me from this course. The reasons for my resignation were clearly set out in my conversation with you yesterday afternoon and in my e-mail to you transmitted at 15.07 hrs."

My understanding is that Mr. Phelan is not a member of the permanent civil servive per se but is employed by Ivor Callely himself, though the funding for this comes as part of a TD/minister's entitlements.

My own take on it is that Ivor is so busy that he can't handle the usual constituency activities and has farmed them out to his local staff, who must be wondering if though would not be better off doind the local political work for themselves. I also wonder how Ivor's comments to Clly Heney at the Clontarf convention look now in the light of her success in the locals in '04. Heney is Noel Ahern's PA if I recall correctly, maybe the PAs are sticking together. Perhaps, the boat has sailed for Ivor and Heney might be added again to DNC to shore up the 2 FF seats.

Maximus

jdwex said:
Maximus said:

This mornings allegations in the Irish Independent are outrageous, that personal correspondence from Niall Phelan to high level individuals in that department
It wouldn't be as outrageous as attempting to bribe a civil servant , would it?
A. Niall Phelan was not a Civil Servant
B. Callely had every right to offer his political staff better terms

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
So maximus, when you know that Mr. Phelan is not a civil servant why are you claiming the leak came from the civil service?

And it doesn't say much for the minister's management skills that after receiving a resignation letter he tries to buy the person off. Surely, you head off the problem that caused the resignation before it happens, or failing that address those issues that caused it?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
I don't want a repeat of yesterday, where people went extreme party political and became libellous and defamatory, it's unacceptable, petty and childish.

I ask people ensure their contributions are genuine, valid, and free from any which will get you (or P.ie) into legal complications.

Thanks guys.

Maximus

KingKane said:
So maximus, when you know that Mr. Phelan is not a civil servant why are you claiming the leak came from the civil service?

And it doesn't say much for the minister's management skills that after receiving a resignation letter he tries to buy the person off. Surely, you head off the problem that caused the resignation before it happens, or failing that address those issues that caused it?
I don’t believe the leak came from Phelan, he has nothing to gain from it, in fact if it was discovered he was behind the leak he’d be finished in Fianna Fáil. Phelan was by all accounts a very capable hard working individual; we don’t know the reasons he decided to move on, but no doubt Callely felt he would be better served if Phelan stayed on, hence the offer to improve his conditions with the offer of a car.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Leaks of what would be internal emails is harder than you might think. You are let us be clear here suggesting that someone with access to the minister's email account copyed the content of this message and that they have circulated it to outside parties.

I very much doubt that Mr. Phelan would be finished in FF if he had leaked this mail to the press as it showed him to be someone of upfront character in contrast to the minister. I can understand if Mr. Phelan felt he had to give his side of the story in order to ensure that people did not brief against him.

An Gilladaker

This mornings allegations in the Irish Independent are outrageous, that personal correspondence from Niall Phelan to high level individuals in that department could appear in a news paper clearly indicates a serious lack of discipline within in the Department.

It seems clear certain individuals in the Department of Transport have a vendetta against Minister Calley, one can only speculate as to the source, however a contributor to this mornings Newstalk’s the Breakfast Show may have hit the nail on the head when he said “of course civil servants don’t like Ivor, he expects them to actually work”.
Was this ever sorted out:confused:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies