Clare County Council boycotting The Clare Champion over the asbestos story?

CptSternn

I was reading an interesting thread on boards about this which is linked to this article here:

SUBSCRIBE TO PHOENIX[/url]

It would appear that apparently the CCC are boycotting The Clare Champion for not letting the illegal asbestos dumping story go.

A bit of background, dangerous asbestos dump sites were found in Clare. The council has claimed it will cost millions to remove. Some sources say it may be linked to old work the council commissioned meaning they may know who is responsible, per the reports in various articles like these...

Someone has been illegally dumping asbestos around Clare · TheJournal.ie

Clare County Council investigates asbestos waste | BreakingNews.ie

Asbestos dumping under investigation | The Clare Champion

It would, according to the reports in the media, appear the CCC want this to go away and thanks to The Clare Champion newspaper continuing to investigate the story the CCC has decided to boycott them, stop all postings, ads, etc.

Doesn't really seem like the kinda thing innocent people would do. Then again I am just posting what has already been said by a list of other media outlets.

So how much will it cost? Who is going to get the contract? How much has been spent already? Has the CCC found out who is responsible? What company was paid to remove the asbestos originally? Surely they have a name somewhere?

These questions and more are currently the ones not being answered.

A majority of the newly elected CCC would not have been around when this started, but they sure are in the drivers seat now and their actions now will greatly influence public opinion. If they continue to try and block the media over something their predecessors did, it makes them just as guilty and just as wrong.

GDPR

It would be nice if we as a country could look forward and plan accordingly instead of constantly looking over our shoulder and cleaning up the mess of yesteryear, then again I'm probably naive.

realistic1

It would be nice if we as a country could look forward and plan accordingly instead of constantly looking over our shoulder and cleaning up the mess of yesteryear, then again I'm probably naive.
but this is a mess from "yesteryear" that could be harmful to Citizens in the present & the future, so it is correct to look over our shoulder.

cricket

Are you suggesting we ignore the asbestos ?

im axeled

it iss very petty minded of them if so, but them mature minded politicians in ireland are a scarce comodity.

Mushroom

Looks like one for RTE Radio's Philip Boucher Hayes to investigate.

Hopefully some concerned resident of County Clare will bring this matter to his attention.

I don't have his email address, but I'm sure that a message on his Facebook page will get to him.

B

Boggle

I was reading an interesting thread on boards about this which is linked to this article here:

SUBSCRIBE TO PHOENIX[/url]

It would appear that apparently the CCC are boycotting The Clare Champion for not letting the illegal asbestos dumping story go.

A bit of background, dangerous asbestos dump sites were found in Clare. The council has claimed it will cost millions to remove. Some sources say it may be linked to old work the council commissioned meaning they may know who is responsible, per the reports in various articles like these...

Someone has been illegally dumping asbestos around Clare · TheJournal.ie

Clare County Council investigates asbestos waste | BreakingNews.ie

Asbestos dumping under investigation | The Clare Champion

It would, according to the reports in the media, appear the CCC want this to go away and thanks to The Clare Champion newspaper continuing to investigate the story the CCC has decided to boycott them, stop all postings, ads, etc.

Doesn't really seem like the kinda thing innocent people would do. Then again I am just posting what has already been said by a list of other media outlets.

So how much will it cost? Who is going to get the contract? How much has been spent already? Has the CCC found out who is responsible? What company was paid to remove the asbestos originally? Surely they have a name somewhere?

These questions and more are currently the ones not being answered.

A majority of the newly elected CCC would not have been around when this started, but they sure are in the drivers seat now and their actions now will greatly influence public opinion. If they continue to try and block the media over something their predecessors did, it makes them just as guilty and just as wrong.
Why do you think nothing of note ever gets covered by the media?
You can bet similar threats have been used to keep the national newspapers in line.

Same with RTE - or do people actually think we need expensive ads telling us not to cross a solid white line?

freewillie

it iss very petty minded of them if so, but them mature minded politicians in ireland are a scarce comodity.
It must be something in the water. Davy Fitz the Clare hurling manager want's to boycott a certain journalist also

Mushroom

It must be something in the water. Davy Fitz the Clare hurling manager want's to boycott a certain journalist also
That man is wall-to-wall comedy; County Clare's very own Rik Mayall. He really should have his own TV slot.

Red Clover

This yesteryear was less than a year ago. When a local householder saw the dumping he challenged the contractor who refused to say who instructed him. When the contractor got a solicitor's letter he immediately squealed and gave the name of an employee of Clare Co Council. The Council set up a committee to investigate (two ex-local authority officers who have not been seen or heard of since).

GDPR

This yesteryear was less than a year ago. When a local householder saw the dumping he challenged the contractor who refused to say who instructed him. When the contractor got a solicitor's letter he immediately squealed and gave the name of an employee of Clare Co Council. The Council set up a committee to investigate (two ex-local authority officers who have not been seen or heard of since).
Fair enough and this is something a lot more serious and deserving of more media attention than say gigs in Croke Park. My comment was a general one.

Mushroom

In another more accountable body heads would roll. Will they roll at CCC? Will they feck.
Promotions are a far more likely outcome. (Or, if the age profile suits, early retirement with full pension entitlements before anything can happen to them.)

CptSternn

See here is the new twist -

Since they abolished town councils and only have the CCC now, you have a mixture of former CCC members, former Town Council members from a few different areas, and some brand new blood in there.

I have contacted a few new council members who are new to the CCC and they did not even know about this but have told me they will look into it. I am awaiting their response.

savlanut

See here is the new twist -

Since they abolished town councils and only have the CCC now, you have a mixture of former CCC members, former Town Council members from a few different areas, and some brand new blood in there.

I have contacted a few new council members who are new to the CCC and they did not even know about this but have told me they will look into it. I am awaiting their response.
The new Clare Co Council members "didn't even know about this"! Says it all.

GDPR

The new Clare Co Council members "didn't even know about this"! Says it all.
Not really. Best bet to ask the new members before they turn into hacks and cronies to actually do what they said they would do, change the system and what not

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom