Clare County Council Giving Away Public Land To Privately Owned Irish Water

CptSternn

Did anyone else read this?

Ryan withdraws objection to ESB land transfer - The Clare Courier

Cllr Ryan objected to Clare County Council transferring the land free of charge commenting, “This council gets nothing for nothing from the ESB. He added, “it seems strange to give away land to an outfit that can pay its CEO €200,000 a year.”
The transaction, a necessary part of improving the town’s ailing wastewater treatment infrastructure, was proposed by Cllr Gerry Flynn.

Up to €3 million will be spent on Shannon’s sewerage infrastructure under Irish Water’s Capital Investment Plan for 2014-2016. This is the first significant investment in the system since a 1997 consultant’s report highlighted the need for significant works.
Shannon needs a new treatment plant. Thanks to the new Irish Water company, which we are being forced by law to pay, they are building it to meet their own governmental requirements. For some reason though the CCC have decided to 'gift' this private company, which we all will be paying shortly, a parcel of land on which they will develop this new plant.

Why is the CCC giving away our public land for free? Irish Water have a budget and make profits. They are a private company. Why should land owned by the people of Clare be given for free of any charge to a private company who by law are going to have to build the plant anyway? We are not only being forced to pay a private company for water, we are now being asked to fund the at least part of the private companies required construction on top of the normal water charges and apparently none of the CCC seem to have a problem with this.

Anyone else bothered by this?

ManUnited

Shannon needs a new treatment plant. Thanks to the new Irish Water company, which we are being forced by law to pay, they are building it to meet their own governmental requirements. For some reason though the CCC have decided to 'gift' this private company, which we all will be paying shortly, a parcel of land on which they will develop this new plant.

Why is the CCC giving away our public land for free? Irish Water have a budget and make profits. They are a private company. Why should land owned by the people of Clare be given for free of any charge to a private company who by law are going to have to build the plant anyway? We are not only being forced to pay a private company for water, we are now being asked to fund the at least part of the private companies required construction on top of the normal water charges and apparently none of the CCC seem to have a problem with this.

Depends. Who owns the private company?

Davy Broderick

Incredible. But the people of Clare (and Ireland) will get stiffed on this either way.

Clare CC give away free land to IW. Net loss to Clare CC, and to the people of Clare.

Clare sell land to IW. IW is still publicly owned. The people of Clare (and Ireland) pay for everything IW does. So the people of Clare pay for the land anyway.

Irish Water has been a dishonest, incompetently-run enterprise from day 1.

Eire1976

The Council may of had to contribute to the scheme and maybe the grant of land release them from that?

CptSternn

The Council may of had to contribute to the scheme and maybe the grant of land release them from that?
Nope, that was never even mentioned. Per the argument against made by Cllr. PJ Ryan, why is the council giving away land to a company which pays its CEO €200,000 a year?

The answer wasn't 'because we have to contribute to the scheme' the answer given which was reported was they need the plant and as they do not want IW dragging their feet, so they are giving them a gift free land (that belongs to the people of Clare).

If they have a CEO and that CEO makes almost a quarter of a million a year they can't really say they are a 'state owned' entity. They make profits, they have a CEO, they pay six figures to board members. They can afford to pay for any land they need in Clare.

ManUnited

Nope, that was never even mentioned. Per the argument against made by Cllr. PJ Ryan, why is the council giving away land to a company which pays its CEO €200,000 a year?

The answer wasn't 'because we have to contribute to the scheme' the answer given which was reported was they need the plant and as they do not want IW dragging their feet, so they are giving them a gift free land (that belongs to the people of Clare).

If they have a CEO and that CEO makes almost a quarter of a million a year they can't really say they are a 'state owned' entity. They make profits, they have a CEO, they pay six figures to board members. They can afford to pay for any land they need in Clare.
Why not? It is a state owned entity. When the plant is built, everyone is a winner.

CptSternn

Why not? It is a state owned entity. When the plant is built, everyone is a winner.
It's a quango. It's not the government. I didn't vote for the CEO of Irish Water. The good people of Clare did not have a say in who is on the board of directors for Irish Water. Last time I checked, my taxes didn't go to Irish Water. I don't remember seeing Irish Water in the structure of the new County Council hierarchy.

They are a corporation. Just because currently they are a quango does not make them part of our government. Will any of the profits they make find their way back into the pockets of the people of Clare?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Irish Water is not privately owned, it is Semi-State founded by statute and owned by the State

cYp

Ren84

Ridiculous thread. Irish Water is a publicly owned state enterprise. Totally misleading and factually incorrect.

ManUnited

It's a quango. It's not the government. I didn't vote for the CEO of Irish Water. The good people of Clare did not have a say in who is on the board of directors for Irish Water. Last time I checked, my taxes didn't go to Irish Water. I don't remember seeing Irish Water in the structure of the new County Council hierarchy.

They are a corporation. Just because currently they are a quango does not make them part of our government. Will any of the profits they make find their way back into the pockets of the people of Clare?
You seem to have your own definition of public and private ownership.

G

Gimpanzee

OP could have had a point. But instead made a complete balls of it. The central bit about the transfer of land from public to private ownership, is obviously untrue.

However, there is an issue about the transfer of the land that the water/wastewater assets sit on - something that LA's across the country and Irish water are trying to figure out, and is compicating the handover. How this wasn't figured out beforehand as part of the original plan is beyond me though.

And any poster who makes some knowing 'Denis O'Brien' comment might as well wear a badge stating that they are simpletons. The sort that raved on in 2009 about how Anglo was saved because the bondholders were FFers.

CptSternn

Bord Gáis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bord Gais :: Annual Report and Financial Statements 2012

Ever heard of Ervia? That’s what Bord Gáis Eireann is now called

I have the same position on their parent company Bord Gais. How can a company have a parent company yet claim to be public?

The are incorporated like a company, and my favourite, they paid to have Grand Canal Theatre renamed to 'Bord Gais Theare'.

I don't remember our government paying to name a landmark 'Motor Tax Office Theatre' or 'Department Of Social Welfare Stadium'.

They are a quango, and that IMHO does not make them public.

Congalltee

If only there was a mechanism whereby one legal entity (a county council) could get a future interest or share in another legal entity (Uisce), for swapping land and utilities so that the former legal entity can get the benefit rather than the State (which doesn't own the infrastructure).

On another point, why do state owned legal entities sue each other?

Dunlin3

Bord Gáis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bord Gais :: Annual Report and Financial Statements 2012

Ever heard of Ervia? That’s what Bord Gáis Eireann is now called

I have the same position on their parent company Bord Gais. How can a company have a parent company yet claim to be public?

The are incorporated like a company, and my favourite, they paid to have Grand Canal Theatre renamed to 'Bord Gais Theare'.

I don't remember our government paying to name a landmark 'Motor Tax Office Theatre' or 'Department Of Social Welfare Stadium'.

The state owns plenty of "private companies". When the state decides to establish a commercial organisation they are restricted by company law as to the type of companies they can form. I'm not sure what your point is really.

Bord Gáis Energy was the company that was sold recently. This was the retail arm of Bord Gais. Bord Gais Networks, Irish Water etc are still wholly owned by the state.

Last edited:

mangaire2

Shannon needs a new treatment plant.

when you say "Shannon needs a new treatment plant." -
do you mean Shannon Town, or Shannon Airport ?
i know that the Airport had been pumping untreated sewage into the river - i don't know if it's still going on.

i

Dunlin3

No sure that your understanding of the word QUANGO would be quite correct either. A commercial company owned by the state would not generally be classed as one. However CER (Commission for Energy Regulation) who set gas/water prices would be.

CptSternn

No sure that your understanding of the word QUANGO would be quite correct either. A commercial company owned by the state would not generally be classed as one. However CER (Commission for Energy Regulation) who set gas/water prices would be.
I am familiar with quangos. There is a difference, but a slim difference between semi-states and quangos. I only used the term as to emphasis the fact its not an elected body nor is it fully accountable to the government, as it is a for profit organisation with stock holders.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom