LIMARE

Need to start this before it is too late. Vital questions

- Will FF go with a two candidate strategy
- What will FG go with
- Who will be the Lab candidate
- can James Breen rebuild his support

Any thoughts

fenian john

Fianna fail might run two cadidates and that is what i would be telling them to do but who knows? I suspect they will run killeen, dooley and a possible younger candidate a new face, i have heard gareth greene or ronan daly son of brendan daly being thrown around. Fine gael have a problem in my opinion and heres why, they are not a united party in this county, the two fg td's have let them down on a number of occasions on local radio. Firstly a few months ago on morning focus on clare fm both fg lads could not agree on what their five thousand euro per month expenses was actually for. Then during the well publicised leadership battle between kenny and bruton the two fg lads in clare took opposite sides. When the breen backed bruton failed in his bid to be leader pat breen told morning focus that he will continue to support kenny despite saying he had no confidence in him the day before. Then yesterday on morning focus both fg lads could not agree on when a general election should be called with breen saying have the budget first and then an election in the new year and carey saying have the election asap. This type of goings on shows me fg is not a united party in the county and indeed the country and it will damage one or both of their sitting td's. I think carey will keep his seat and breen to lose his in the next election. oh and how could i forget the whole pay cut fiasco with deputy carey following his leaders example and taking a pay cut anf breen refusing to do so. FG need to run i would say four candidates max with a new face taking a seat for them in the dail. Labour now here is a party in which there seems to be unease and maybe infighting. They realistically can only run one candidate so will it be man of the moment for them this year Paul O Shea or Pascal Fitzgerald or will they run one of these "CELEB" candidates. I would prefer to see Paul O Shea in the running come election time. The gilmore gael has not hit clare i dont think. In the last election Labour finished behind Sinn Fein so they have work to do yet. Sinn Fein? Well who do they have? Lets see they have a shannon town councillor who seems to do feck all except broker deals between fairgrounds and housing estates, then they have Sean Hayes in ennis who has had his fair share of headlines. They too can only run one candidate as their support is low. Mccafferty i think is froim the north and lives in shannon so she could take a few votes there but Hayes is young and not afraid to get his hands dirty. Sinn Fein are a secretive party and play their cards close to their chest. Hayes would be the better option, he is young and will be apart of politics in clare in some way in the future probably not for Sinn Fein though. The best they can hope for is who ever they run they improve their vote on last time but no seat for them this time round. Independents have now become irrelivent due to the fact the next govt will be made up of LAB/FG and will not need glorified councillors to back them up. James Breen is just that a "glorified councillor" the man is in his seventies and in my opinion we need younger people in the dail with fresh ideas not guys who will promise to get ya planning for a vote.

FG..... CAREY, BREEn, JOHNNY FLYNN AND MARTIN CONWAY

FF......KILLEEN, DOOLEY AND YOUNGER CANDIDATE GREENE OR DALY MAYBE

LAB... O SHEA OR FITZGERALD OR "CELEB" CANDIDATE

SF..... CATHY MCCAFFERTY OR SEAN HAYES

IND....... BREEN AND SOME ISSUE BASED CANDIDATE

S

SeamusNapoleon

Fianna fail might run two cadidates and that is what i would be telling them to do but who knows? I suspect they will run killeen, dooley and a possible younger candidate a new face, i have heard gareth greene or ronan daly son of brendan daly being thrown around. Fine gael have a problem in my opinion and heres why, they are not a united party in this county, the two fg td's have let them down on a number of occasions on local radio. Firstly a few months ago on morning focus on clare fm both fg lads could not agree on what their five thousand euro per month expenses was actually for. Then during the well publicised leadership battle between kenny and bruton the two fg lads in clare took opposite sides. When the breen backed bruton failed in his bid to be leader pat breen told morning focus that he will continue to support kenny despite saying he had no confidence in him the day before. Then yesterday on morning focus both fg lads could not agree on when a general election should be called with breen saying have the budget first and then an election in the new year and carey saying have the election asap. This type of goings on shows me fg is not a united party in the county and indeed the country and it will damage one or both of their sitting td's. I think carey will keep his seat and breen to lose his in the next election. oh and how could i forget the whole pay cut fiasco with deputy carey following his leaders example and taking a pay cut anf breen refusing to do so. FG need to run i would say four candidates max with a new face taking a seat for them in the dail. Labour now here is a party in which there seems to be unease and maybe infighting. They realistically can only run one candidate so will it be man of the moment for them this year Paul O Shea or Pascal Fitzgerald or will they run one of these "CELEB" candidates. I would prefer to see Paul O Shea in the running come election time. The gilmore gael has not hit clare i dont think. In the last election Labour finished behind Sinn Fein so they have work to do yet. Sinn Fein? Well who do they have? Lets see they have a shannon town councillor who seems to do feck all except broker deals between fairgrounds and housing estates, then they have Sean Hayes in ennis who has had his fair share of headlines. They too can only run one candidate as their support is low. Mccafferty i think is froim the north and lives in shannon so she could take a few votes there but Hayes is young and not afraid to get his hands dirty. Sinn Fein are a secretive party and play their cards close to their chest. Hayes would be the better option, he is young and will be apart of politics in clare in some way in the future probably not for Sinn Fein though. The best they can hope for is who ever they run they improve their vote on last time but no seat for them this time round. Independents have now become irrelivent due to the fact the next govt will be made up of LAB/FG and will not need glorified councillors to back them up. James Breen is just that a "glorified councillor" the man is in his seventies and in my opinion we need younger people in the dail with fresh ideas not guys who will promise to get ya planning for a vote.

FG..... CAREY, BREEn, JOHNNY FLYNN AND MARTIN CONWAY

FF......KILLEEN, DOOLEY AND YOUNGER CANDIDATE GREENE OR DALY MAYBE

LAB... O SHEA OR FITZGERALD OR "CELEB" CANDIDATE

SF..... CATHY MCCAFFERTY OR SEAN HAYES

IND....... BREEN AND SOME ISSUE BASED CANDIDATE
Good post.

Hayes is a hard worker, but he's not even a councillor yet.

I'd say he's in with a chance of a council seat next locals - long way away, I know - and if he kept on working hard at it, he'd be in with a shot at the Dáil in a few years.

I can see Dooley getting re-elected (the b*stard), but getting few to no votes around Shannon. His mealy-mouthing over Element 6 and the further erosion of the airport caused a lot of anger.

Pat Mc Larnon

Clare is a particularly weak area for SF with local representation thin on the grounds. Have read a few stories of Hayes and maybe this is the time to throw him in at the deep end. I believe that SF are going to get a bit of a bounce at this election and he could benefit from that. Not in terms of threatening for a Dail seat but building towards the County Council elections.

ClareGael

Situation in clare is simple enough. If FG work together then they will retain their two seats. They will run a 3 candidate strategy I believe with Cooney or Mulcahy getting in with the two sitting TDs. I heard from a Donkey Dooley loyalist that he is in huge trouble and will lose a seat for FF which James Breen will pick up so in essence an independent FF will replace a FF. Labour not in the game yet but will be interesting when they do. Other than that there will be little contest.

Jim Connolly of the Rural Resettlement organisation is the other declared independant.
Breen had a hilarious interview the other day on Clare FM saying he left FF "on account of the sleaze"!! He'll fancy his chances I'd say, he's already portraying himself as a Jackie Healy Rae type who'll get things done for the county.

I've heard rumours of Labour trying to convince local celeb type candidates to run.

I assume Brian Meaney will run for the Greens again? Likely to get a pasting if he does both for his party's performance in government and his willingness to back unpopular decisions such as the Limerick border enlargement.

Conway (FG) is a hardworking councillor and I doubt he'd run unless he was confident of getting a good vote, he has a lot of the West and North of the county to himself.

The thought of Ronan Daly in the Dail gives me the shivers.

Situation in clare is simple enough. If FG work together then they will retain their two seats. They will run a 3 candidate strategy I believe with Cooney or Mulcahy getting in with the two sitting TDs. I heard from a Donkey Dooley loyalist that he is in huge trouble and will lose a seat for FF which James Breen will pick up so in essence an independent FF will replace a FF. Labour not in the game yet but will be interesting when they do. Other than that there will be little contest.
I think Mulcahy said he wasn't running? Dooley will undoubtedly come under a lot of pressure from Breen

fenian john

Clare is a particularly weak area for SF with local representation thin on the grounds. Have read a few stories of Hayes and maybe this is the time to throw him in at the deep end. I believe that SF are going to get a bit of a bounce at this election and he could benefit from that. Not in terms of threatening for a Dail seat but building towards the County Council elections.
i cant see hayes running he is young and has no elected position could use the time over the next four years to build up a good profile for locals. if he got elected to the council in ennis town or county council he will show up alot of the useless beggers that have seats on the local auth.

fenian john

Good post.

Hayes is a hard worker, but he's not even a councillor yet.

I'd say he's in with a chance of a council seat next locals - long way away, I know - and if he kept on working hard at it, he'd be in with a shot at the Dáil in a few years.

I can see Dooley getting re-elected (the b*stard), but getting few to no votes around Shannon. His mealy-mouthing over Element 6 and the further erosion of the airport caused a lot of anger.
Ya my brother is a supporter of hayes he went to school with him in flannans. I will give him my vote in four years time in the locals. He could shake things up a bit in the council just like flynn and o shea have done in ennis town council. Dooley may get elected and i have to hand it too him he is a top man for sitting there and taking ************************ at public meetings well so i hear anyway.

fenian john

if james breen gets elected in clare im getting back on the plane and going back to oz. lets give younger candidates a chance and also lets stop these political dynasties once and for all.

fenian john

Jim Connolly of the Rural Resettlement organisation is the other declared independant.
Breen had a hilarious interview the other day on Clare FM saying he left FF "on account of the sleaze"!! He'll fancy his chances I'd say, he's already portraying himself as a Jackie Healy Rae type who'll get things done for the county.

I've heard rumours of Labour trying to convince local celeb type candidates to run.

I assume Brian Meaney will run for the Greens again? Likely to get a pasting if he does both for his party's performance in government and his willingness to back unpopular decisions such as the Limerick border enlargement.

Conway (FG) is a hardworking councillor and I doubt he'd run unless he was confident of getting a good vote, he has a lot of the West and North of the county to himself.

The thought of Ronan Daly in the Dail gives me the shivers.[

How could i have forgot the green avenger Brian Meaney? I think the fact he is a green sums it up that he wont come close to getting elected but it would be nice to see the big green horse lorry he drives going round the streets again if only for the sheer laughter.

Ronan Daly does he own the mobile phone shop. He is a son of Brendan Daly former minister i think. Well in my opinion political dynasties have to be put a stop to. running on daddies name and getting elected shows you for what you are(cough) carey (cough)

Clanrickard

Good post.

Hayes is a hard worker,
Translation: Another Parish Pump politician.

Dooley is toast. According to the Clare People FF first preferences down to the low twenties and little hope of transfers. Killeen to stay in Dooley out. 2 FGs to stay. Labour or Single Issue candidate (Jim Connolly?) to get the 4th seat

Nonsence & lies

If the standard of candidate is as bad everywhere as in clare, we really are in trouble for years to come. People in shannon say they would happily give votes to sinn feins Mccafferty as she seems genuine and and might even give a damn. Then perhaps a transfer to Pat breen, but call it a day there, as the rest are just county councillor gombeen gob************************es.

fenian john

Translation: Another Parish Pump politician.

Dooley is toast. According to the Clare People FF first preferences down to the low twenties and little hope of transfers. Killeen to stay in Dooley out. 2 FGs to stay. Labour or Single Issue candidate (Jim Connolly?) to get the 4th seat
parish pump what are ya like sure what do you want public reps to do?

John Deere 5820

Throw Madeleine Taylor-Quinn in she nearly ruined FG here last time I heard talk of Martin Conway but he is mentioned here but I'm hearing Tony Mulcahy will run so that a possible five FG candidates can’t see em doing that really well I hope not anyway.

Can't see FF being foolish enough to run a third candidate

Hope Labour run a decent candidate

James Breen Ind

Michael McNamara (not the former hurling manager) he ran in the European elections???

RTE have being doing slots on the upcoming election and predicted 2 FF and 2 FG in Clare but that was before the IMF dropped by

fenian john

If the standard of candidate is as bad everywhere as in clare, we really are in trouble for years to come. People in shannon say they would happily give votes to sinn feins Mccafferty as she seems genuine and and might even give a damn. Then perhaps a transfer to Pat breen, but call it a day there, as the rest are just county councillor gombeen gob************************es.
people would vote sinn fein then transfer to fine gael jesus some mixed up people in shannon so

fenian john

Throw Madeleine Taylor-Quinn in she nearly ruined FG here last time I heard talk of Martin Conway but he is mentioned here but I'm hearing Tony Mulcahy will run so that a possible five FG candidates can’t see em doing that really well I hope not anyway.

Can't see FF being foolish enough to run a third candidate

Hope Labour run a decent candidate

James Breen Ind

Michael McNamara (not the former hurling manager) he ran in the European elections???

RTE have being doing slots on the upcoming election and predicted 2 FF and 2 FG in Clare but that was before the IMF dropped by
Michael mcnamara isn't he a barrister sure we have enough of them in govt already. well educated does not always mean they are good for the position.

ClareGael

Dooley is in trouble as he comes across arrogant and a man that wants a brief rather than a back bench position. Good to have ambition but he is so mad for power he forgot about all the people of clare who voted him in. After watching Killeen last night on Frontline I think he will be less likely to get any swaying votes. I still think James Breen has a good crack at it given the FF disaster. Clare with its hardcore FF boys wont want to vote FG or Lab so the independent dinosour from Kilnamona could actually win a seat. Martin Conway is good locally but not Dail material. I might be proved wrong but i just cant see it happening.

fenian john

hate to say it if i had to pick it would be dooley over killeen because atleast dooley faces the music in relation to taking the public anger, killeen just hides all the time and will never face the public when it matters

John Deere 5820

I'm not saying I'd vote form him just suggesting he might run, but he was impressive on Clare Fm during the European elections and yea we have had plenty of solicitors making a balls of the country and teachers, accountants, farmers undertakers too but can't really see the relevance of a candidates profession as we will hardly get an economist to run

To be honest if the independents split the vote you could well end up with 2 FG's and 2 FF's again someone motioned a celebrity labour candidate who is motioned.

Remember when Ger Loughnane was motioned as a possible candidate for the P.D.'s

Michael mcnamara isn't he a barrister sure we have enough of them in govt already. well educated does not always mean they are good for the position.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies