Clare General Election

mangaire2

I dont think this deserves any proper response
well - you gave it a response,
an improper one, as you describe it.
I suppose if I had included the three blueshirt brainboxes in my list, I might have deserved a "proper response", but, in my opinion the three blueshirts weren't worthy of inclusion.
Sin é.

Swiiper

Pat Breen has stuck to all instructions over the past few weeks. I canvassed for him and Joe Carey. Pat had us all told from the start that they had early limited access to Shannon and that he wouldnt be canvassing around Joe Carey's heartland of Clarecastle either. Pat will not run away with the poll. I've no idea who comes up with the voting plans but they should be sacked. The negativity over the past few days is terrible. I still think Breen and Carey will get in. Mulcahy is just unknown as to what may happen. And for the record, Breen and Carey have worked really hard at highlighting the issues for Clare over the past 4 years. They were in opposition so that's all they can do. So stop the bashing whoever ye idiots are on this thread and go annoy Timmy doolittle who had his hands on power.
I suppose those massive PBreen For Shannon posters (from the 2007 campaign by the looks of) just walked out of Pat's shed and nailed themselves over the other FG candidates posters on all entrances to Shannon. :lol:

CptSternn

The final results are:

Pat Breen (Ind)
Michael McNamara (Lab)
Joe Carey (FG)
Timmy Dooley (FF)

An Fuiseog

Hey - its Sean himself, the man who brought down the Clare structure because we all thought he was a muppet.

I am still very much a member of the party mate, as are the many people in the party who have no time for you.
Apologies for bumping such an old post but I am unable to start a new thread (too few posts) and had remembered reading this before.

So what is the situation for SF in Clare now? According to the local papers, Clare People and Champion, Cathy McCafferty has been suspended from the party and her husband expelled. I am assuming that there must have been some serious issues.

Does the party still exist in Clare?

Rufty

Apologies for bumping such an old post but I am unable to start a new thread (too few posts) and had remembered reading this before.

So what is the situation for SF in Clare now? According to the local papers, Clare People and Champion, Cathy McCafferty has been suspended from the party and her husband expelled. I am assuming that there must have been some serious issues.

Never really had a huge structure on the ground in the county. That said, they had a good showing with Anna Proir a couple of GE's ago but then never capitalized on it. I met her at the subsequent LE's canvassing for a seat in Galway when in truth if she had stayed in Clare and ran in either Ennis or Shannon she would have walked a council seat. Since then they've not been able to get it together and, had they some semblance of an established candidate in the last GE they would have pushed hard for a seat. In truth though, they don't seem to have the canvass machine needed in Clare to make in roads.

Dal gCais

Must say I'd have to agree with RUfty above. Never really even seen an SF "party machine" here in Clare. They would have a huge vote in Shannon as has been seen in the past, due in no small part to the amount of Northies and Dubs that moved there a few decades ago. There has always been a view that there's no real room for them though in Clare either so their HQ probably won't prioritize Clare. Could be a mistake on their part as the 2FG'ers are sitting pretty as is Dooley come next election with McNamara the most vulnerable of 'em. FG have the senators as a third and possibly forth candidate but I just don't think they can get the votes required to take a third seat. FF have nobody to challenge for a second seat. That means an Independent is best placed to take on Labour for the forth but I can't think of anyone or any issue someone could run on that would really push for it either. As it stands in the county the only outcomes I can see from the next election is 2 FG, 1 FF and 1 Lab OR 3 FG and 1 FF. What do ya think?

fenian john

I read the story on the shinners in the clare people and it said Cllr McCafferty is suspended but I assume it will be an expulsion or she will leave of her own accord soon and her husband whos name escapes me has been expelled. The story also said that the party has been hit with defections of former election candidates over the past few years but did Prior just go run somewhere else or was it for a different party? Sean hayes also gone to god knows where, I hope they get back
on track soon and pin point some candidates for the next locals which in politics world are not that far away. I agree that their election machine is under staffed and unless they attract new blood soon they wont be taken serious by their head office. Still I will vote for them if they put out a candidate but Cant see them pushing any names out in press releases lately.

Dal gCais

Rufty would seem to have said that she ran in Galway last time out but was that for SF? The defections is a huge problem for SF in Clare as it makes a small party in the county even smaller which in turn makes life a bit more comfortable for the bigger parties.

fenian john

well whatever happens the job of SF and indeed other smaller parties of the left in Clare is to keep highlighting the problems we see everyday in our county because when it comes down too it the big parties stay very quiet once in power. Just checked the auld web and Prior ran for the party in Oranmore so who defected? I did not hear of Hayes joining another party and im not sure if Mccafferty will join another party she will probably be independent. Will she give up her seat in the council?

fenian john

Just thinking that we have 2 T.D,s from east Clare which is where i live for my sins and just wondered what they have done for us in East Clare?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies