• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Clare Postmortem

Rufty

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
443
Dooley, Killeen, Pat Breen and Carey. Not many predicted Careys success but to those that did, congrats and indeed congrats to Clare FG at large. Good result for ye. We were mighty dissapointed at Daly missing out especially when early on in the day it seemed very possible but lack of transfers cost us dearly. Brendan has claimed that he is finished with politics after a long career. Where many argued and disputed with him, everyone that does know him has nothing but respect for the man.

Timmy's preformance was very pleasing as was Tony's. Pat Breen was always a dead cert in my mind and I'm please for my fellow parishoners in the Breen clan. Carey really cleaned up in Ennis and transfered very well. Very effective, visible campaign.

James Breen is contemplating his future but sources close to the Kilnamona man say early indications are that he's fed up with the political game.

MTQ is facing too possibilities. Get the nod from Enda Kenny and take 5 years in the Seanad or rest on her council seat from now on.

Mulcahy did well in Shannon but not excellent elsewhere. Did better than I gave him credit for. Didn't realise how popular he was in FG even though he made it through convention when they were originally looking for only 2. Running 4 paid off with good transferring within the party.

Prior's people are claiming that she's gonna run for town and county council seats in Ennis UDC/elecoral area. This I believe is coming from the fact that last time outs poll topper (Carey) has moved on to bigger things. Personnally I think this is madness seeing how well she did from the Shannon boxes. Ennis EA(electoral area) responded well to her in the town but not the country. Take Ballyea, total poll 355, Prior votes 4. Simillar story in other rural boxes in the EA. Shannon should be her focus.

Fitzgerald and Collins proved they are unelectable in Clare. Madness to have them running in the first place and a glorious waste of money.

Meaney failed again and my fellow Ballyea man say his vote drop. Good councillor, very nice bloke but will not make it to Leinster House.

Thoughts, comments? Am I way off the mark?
 


Wolverine

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2006
Messages
86
I wouldn't say Fitzgerald is unelectable - just that he has a long way to go, and being geographically disadvantaged doesn't help. But he has the willingness for the long hard slog so we shall see. Certainly he has a good reputation in his own council area and is close to the top in terms of motions submitted to the council every month.

Part of the problem was that a good strip of his core area was voting in Limerick east. From what I saw of the boxes that were in his area he should easily hold his council seat in a few year's time. He's pretty new on the scene, wasn't even involved in politics before 2004.

Anyhow aside from that, I was surprised at Brendan Daly's vote holding up so well. I was surprised at Brian Meaney's vote dropping, certainly he is a hard working councillor. Perhaps a stab at the senate? He's certainly an example of how hard work does pay off in the end, even in areas where people would tend to write you off. I can remember discussions 10 years ago about how the Greens would never pick up a council seat in Clare, but he put the work in and pulled it off.

I agree with you on MTQ, Prior could be interesting as to what she decides to do. This election didn't do her any harm that's for sure.
 

meriwether

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
12,539
MTQ shoud be politely thanked for her contributions (endless losing ones) and not given a senate post.
 

Rufty

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
443
MTQ was on Clare FM during Friday, after her elimination, accusing those in her own party of dirty tricks. Is she for real. Maddalin get over yourself. You will never be a TD for Clare again. We don't want you.

Must say I didn't see the drop in Meaney's vote coming either but from the responce at the door I knew Daly would poll well and did think (a bit optimistically maybe) that the 3 seats were on.

Pascal is still a bit of a mystery to me I must adnit but 870 votes is not a good starting base to kick of a long hault Dáil campaign over a few terms IMO. Although I could be proven wrong. Either way (and no offence intended Wolverine) I do think Labours organisation on the ground has been weak in Clare over the past 12 years or so. More members and canvassers needed there. (Don't kill me it's just an opinion of someone on the outside looking in). Pascal didn't look all too dejected at the bar though after the tally figures were in. Maybe the though of having a safe enough council seat was good concilation!

It'll be soon enough that focus will shift to '09 in these parts. Some interesting prospects on the horizon.
 

Wolverine

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2006
Messages
86
Either way (and no offence intended Wolverine) I do think Labours organisation on the ground has been weak in Clare over the past 12 years or so.
None taken Rufty - you're actually not far off the mark. But that is something that can be corrected with some effort and hard work. Now is the time so things will be better for the next locals.

As I said to Pascal over the weekend, Cyprian Brady got only 800 votes and still got elected to the Dail! So we'll see.

Now the hard work begins.
 
W

WestOfCentre

Rufty said:
MTQ was on Clare FM during Friday, after her elimination, accusing those in her own party of dirty tricks. Is she for real. Maddalin get over yourself. You will never be a TD for Clare again. We don't want you.

Must say I didn't see the drop in Meaney's vote coming either but from the responce at the door I knew Daly would poll well and did think (a bit optimistically maybe) that the 3 seats were on.

Pascal is still a bit of a mystery to me I must adnit but 870 votes is not a good starting base to kick of a long hault Dáil campaign over a few terms IMO. Although I could be proven wrong. Either way (and no offence intended Wolverine) I do think Labours organisation on the ground has been weak in Clare over the past 12 years or so. More members and canvassers needed there. (Don't kill me it's just an opinion of someone on the outside looking in). Pascal didn't look all too dejected at the bar though after the tally figures were in. Maybe the though of having a safe enough council seat was good concilation!

It'll be soon enough that focus will shift to '09 in these parts. Some interesting prospects on the horizon.
Madeleine is a dreamer. I dont know she expected to be elected with 4 on the ticket.

On top of that her closest rival in terms of Geography, Breen, had kept an effecient operation going for the last few years with regular information and leaflet drops etc. He had also cosied into her base around Kilrush.

Many were also disappointed by her reaction on ClareFM. You have to take defeat on the chin.

She indulged in little stunts of her own during the last couple of days of campaigning that might land her in hot water herself yet.

FF ran a decent campaign but not amount of restructuring of the canvas areas would have resulted in an sufficient increase in 1st preference share. They required at least another 6% to pull a third seat.
 
W

WestOfCentre

Alledged an internal party dirty tricks campaign but didnt expand on it. Then claimed that people who had favours done for them didnt remain loyal.

Roughly translates in totality into ...many of my activists switched to Pat Breen's camp and Im bitter about it.
 

Eirenua

Active member
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
280
Sorry! When I saw the thread heading "Clare postmortem", I thought it was about the match yesterday. :roll:
 

Rufty

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
443
That one's easy. Clare GAA at worst stage in 20 years or more. Terrible management. Team had to drive to Killaloe for 9am to catch the bus, then drive back after. Ridiculous! Bad selection and tactics. No hurling being done in training, just physical work. This was obvious with the shooting in particular.

Anyway back to politics...........opinions??? Comments??? (If you wanna chat on Clare hurling please start a thread in Chat forum)
 
Joined
May 7, 2007
Messages
6
It's time for MTQ to call it a day, she must have annoyed damn near every FG activist in the county in the last few months. Getting on the ticket for this election was pay off for running in the Euro Elections, she's had enough chances at this stage.

James Breen must be sickened, if he'd held out against Carey his phone would have been ringing off the hook with offers, a big pay day from Bertie for the county would have seen him safe for years to come.
 

BestWestern

New member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
1
Honestly - I thought MTQ ran a good campaign - her name has been all over the ClarePeople in the 12 months I have lived in Clare, and when she called on my door just before the election she was very clued in - however many of my work colleagues think she is un-electable. Her free water in Ennis was an excellent campaign stunt... must of cost a fortune.

Timmy Dooly ran a superb campaign, and topped the poll - very impressive, and I agree deserves a junior ministry - probably in transport - I heard him on the ClareFM debate - perhaps the most coherent of all the politicians. Also called on my door long (September 2006) before the election was called - a hard worker, and not a two months before the election campaigner.

Speaking of flashes in the pan Murt Collins - why did he bother running - it seemed so last minute - and haphazard - no posters till the very end, and then only one here and there...

Anna Prior - surprisingly good campaign for a first time politician - we have a fighter here who will be back, and stronger the next time.
 
W

WestOfCentre

BestWestern said:
Honestly - I thought MTQ ran a good campaign - her name has been all over the ClarePeople in the 12 months I have lived in Clare, and when she called on my door just before the election she was very clued in - however many of my work colleagues think she is un-electable. Her free water in Ennis was an excellent campaign stunt... must of cost a fortune.

Timmy Dooly ran a superb campaign, and topped the poll - very impressive, and I agree deserves a junior ministry - probably in transport - I heard him on the ClareFM debate - perhaps the most coherent of all the politicians. Also called on my door long (September 2006) before the election was called - a hard worker, and not a two months before the election campaigner.

Speaking of flashes in the pan Murt Collins - why did he bother running - it seemed so last minute - and haphazard - no posters till the very end, and then only one here and there...

Anna Prior - surprisingly good campaign for a first time politician - we have a fighter here who will be back, and stronger the next time.
I expect SF and Prior's rationale is centred around getting a town council/county council seat for SF the next time.

The election therefore was a useful exercise in rasing her profile.
 

Rufty

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
443
Completely agree with you. It's already (and I mean just after the tally on Friday) that her people are talking about council seats. They aren't wasting any time and any other potential young/first time candidates would want to start having their voice heard and face seen soon to put the fight up to her in '09. At the moment she'd mop up the youth republican vote. FF in Ennis or Shannon (where ever she runs) will need some very good presentable, able to speak young candidate to counteract Anna. Otherwise she'll eat into FF's vote in which ever EA! Also interesting to note that if she did run in Ennis, no Joe Carey would free up young votes unless his vacant seat is tactically filled!
 

david

Active member
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
190
Murt Collins coming in was idiotic. All he ended up doing is wasting paper.

Crappy posters, too, if you take notice of those things.

Nice to see a younger average age getting in. Good luck to them.

Meaney's (and Prior's I hope) time will come.
 
W

WestOfCentre

david said:
Murt Collins coming in was idiotic. All he ended up doing is wasting paper.

Crappy posters, too, if you take notice of those things.

Nice to see a younger average age getting in. Good luck to them.

Meaney's (and Prior's I hope) time will come.
No offence David, but Brian Meaney has had three shots at it now and his percentage remained static since the last election. Maybe its time for the Greens to consider a new candidate?

The priority for Meaney now must be retaining his council seat.

Rufty said:
FF in Ennis or Shannon (where ever she runs) will need some very good presentable, able to speak young candidate to counteract Anna.
Are there any potential younger options for FF in these areas?
 

david

Active member
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
190
In fairness, Meaney is up against an entrenched FF vote. I know young fellas who say 'Fianna Fáil all the way down' because they're making big bucks in the building trade with not a whiff of consideration for anything but themselves.

I suppose I mean Greens in general as much as Meaney - when reality starts to bite, they'll be there saying, "I told you so."
 
W

WestOfCentre

david said:
In fairness, Meaney is up against an entrenched FF vote. I know young fellas who say 'Fianna Fáil all the way down' because they're making big bucks in the building trade with not a whiff of consideration for anything but themselves.

I suppose I mean Greens in general as much as Meaney - when reality starts to bite, they'll be there saying, "I told you so."
I accept there is an entrenched FF vote (although it is down from the 50+ %s of the pre 90s) . However, the young fellas you describe are probably the least likely to vote.
 

clareman51

Member
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
62
Just a few points to note: Timmy Dooley ran the best and hardest campaign, Labour and the PD's should have started earlier, Mulcahy does not travel well ( Box after box without a single vote from all areas outside Shannon) , 10% of entire Clare FG vote out of polling booth across fom Mulcahy's house. poor level of canvasser by many parties, West Clare to struggle in future for Dail representation, huge smell of BO at the count (some of the people must be green and have saved water since 2006), elections will never be the same when e-voting come in (and it will)
 

david

Active member
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
190
No, honestly, I am talking of young (late twenties, not mad kids/boy racers, just subbies and the like) fellas who did actually vote. In fact, this type of young vote probably helped Dooley and Carey, the highest pollers and the young lookers.

Oldster Daly looked sour in his posters! Not that it should matter, I know.
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top