Clare SF suspend their only councillor

InisEanna

Mick McKee (SF) elected, great result.
Not a SF voter, but am extremely happy that he pipped that c*nt Seán McLoughlin to the finish line.

An Fuiseog

Moran also has a (very) long shot in West Clare.

Anyone have any details of the count there?
She is on 1156 but there are too many ahead of her, She has done really well but TBH SF didnt do enough canvassing. Lots werent even aware she was standing. Very little posters and lack of leaflets even in her own local area. Hopefully that will be rectified in the future.

SideysGhost

I was reminded of this while idly clicking through the FP votes for each council. SF in Clare recorded their worst result, a miserable 4.2%, way off the national pace. But it's not the only place where SF were well below their national average. Thought this might be interesting to some. Posters with local knowledge might also provide insights into any particular reasons why SF seems weak in these counties:

Clare 4.2%
Longford 4.4%
Galway County 7.5%
DL-Rathdown 7.7%
Roscommon 8%
Galway City 9.5%
Kilkenny 9.9%
Sligo 10.3%
Mayo 10.3%
Tipp 10%
Westmeath 11.1%

Apart from DL-Rathdown which is hardly a surprise, it essentially boils down to patches of the midlands - but oddly not all of the midlands, e.g. they got 17.2% in Offaly - and the entire western seaboard from Clare up to Sligo.

Outside those (admittedly quite large!) areas SF are now in a good position to challenge for Dail seats all over the map.

Podolski1.5

Prior to the influx of northerners to Shannon, there was a local cumann in the town which was involved in the EI strike in 1968 where an IRA unit from Limerick burned out buses in the city and scabs in the town got a bit of a nasty time. Several of those in the cumann at the time then left to join Labour.
I only spotted this comment now so apologies if it seems out of place and time. In fact the burning of buses being used to bring scabs to break the strike at EI was carried out by an Official IRA unit, not the Provos, and that unit came from Cork city, not Limerick.

S

SeamusNapoleon

I only spotted this comment now so apologies if it seems out of place and time. In fact the burning of buses being used to bring scabs to break the strike at EI was carried out by an Official IRA unit, not the Provos, and that unit came from Cork city, not Limerick.
The EI strike predates the split in the republican movement, so the burning of the buses was simply carried out by an IRA unit.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
I was reminded of this while idly clicking through the FP votes for each council. SF in Clare recorded their worst result, a miserable 4.2%, way off the national pace. But it's not the only place where SF were well below their national average. Thought this might be interesting to some. Posters with local knowledge might also provide insights into any particular reasons why SF seems weak in these counties:

Clare 4.2%
Longford 4.4%
Galway County 7.5%
DL-Rathdown 7.7%
Roscommon 8%
Galway City 9.5%
Kilkenny 9.9%
Sligo 10.3%
Mayo 10.3%
Tipp 10%
Westmeath 11.1%

Apart from DL-Rathdown which is hardly a surprise, it essentially boils down to patches of the midlands - but oddly not all of the midlands, e.g. they got 17.2% in Offaly - and the entire western seaboard from Clare up to Sligo.

Outside those (admittedly quite large!) areas SF are now in a good position to challenge for Dail seats all over the map.
Roscommon 8%, well thta's Ming territory for the anti FG/FF vote. Surprising Longford on 4.4%, Longford should have a better Republican vote than that, it produced some great Republicans like Ruairí Ó Brádaigh and Sean McEoin. As for Clare at 4.2%, FF dominated county thanks to Dev, as far as I know Kilkenny has only one cumman, it's in the city. Doubtless SF will be concentrating on these county's in future.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
The EI strike predates the split in the republican movement, so the burning of the buses was simply carried out by an IRA unit.
Poor old Podolski1.5, doesn't seem to know when the Officals came about.

Ren84

Clare 4.2%
Longford 4.4%
Galway County 7.5%
DL-Rathdown 7.7%
Roscommon 8%
Galway City 9.5%
Kilkenny 9.9%
Sligo 10.3%
Mayo 10.3%
Tipp 10%
Westmeath 11.1%

The rising preference and support for SF in polls represents the general trend nationally. In many counties there is minimal presence of SF on the ground. Local volunteers and constituency offices are the backbone of any party. Until SF builds up its party in all constituencies it will continue to struggle in many.

IrishWelshCelt

Roscommon 8%, well thta's Ming territory for the anti FG/FF vote. Surprising Longford on 4.4%, Longford should have a better Republican vote than that, it produced some great Republicans like Ruairí Ó Brádaigh and Sean McEoin. As for Clare at 4.2%, FF dominated county thanks to Dev, as far as I know Kilkenny has only one cumman, it's in the city. Doubtless SF will be concentrating on these county's in future.
You'd have to say they're in with a shout for a seat there in the next general elections: Carlow

InsideImDancing

Reading the comments at the start of this thread, is it any wonder SF are the most popular party in Ireland? They are opposed by fruity loopers. LMAO they wouldn't know basic strategy if it chased them down the street. :)

turdsl

Clare 4.2%
Longford 4.4%
Galway County 7.5%
DL-Rathdown 7.7%
Roscommon 8%
Galway City 9.5%
Kilkenny 9.9%
Sligo 10.3%
Mayo 10.3%
Tipp 10%
Westmeath 11.1%

I

It will take two elections in most of those constituencies before they will be contesting for a seat

They are building from zero,even in Kilkenny Kathleen Funchion would not succeed,

If Joan has any sense she will promote Phelan, she could be the only winner at the next election. I know of Ballot boxes in East Galway and South Roscommon where 10 years ago, A Shinner vote would be unheard of,

In the presidental election the alleged former Chief of the I.R A got more first preferences
than the true blue Blueshirt, That was a sensation,It is also as solid a foundation as any
party would hope to have to start.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom