• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Class sizes..

gflood

Our local primary school now has a class size of 35 kids for each Junior infants class. This is a disgrace and the current incumbent ministers and Govt should be ashamed of themselves.

How is any teacher expected to teach to 35 5-6 year olds in one class. We are totally unprepared and unable as a society to build the right infrastructure in the right places and staff them. I tell you that this is just the start. Any money this country is making is going down several sinkholes instead of using it to build a decent society for us and our kids.

Our kids did not deserve this.

R

Ramps

There were 39 kids in my primary school class, and I got a decent educa...well, I got an averag...well, I got an education.

stopdoingstuff

have to work ...
I know the frustration you feel. I actually checked up on some relatives kids recently and they are so far behind that it is tragic. She (my relative) can't home-school either due to work and she reckons that she is paying taxes so she shouldn't have to. Her answer is to teach the kids more stuff on weekends and evenings, and that seems to be the best way forward for now.

D

Dylan2010

we sent our kids to infants reading and knowing their numbers after that primary school appears to be a form of childcare most of the time and thats in a class of 22. Given that no primary school gets the most out of kids it behoofs parents to get stuck in and work with your kids at their speed

Analyzer

We have no money.
The Anglo Bondholders have the money. And the useless, compliant Dublin media will not even discuss who the Anglo Bondholders are.

Compromised by the need for advertising revenue, and the need to be able to report from Circus Minimumus.

Last edited:

Kev408

I was in a class of approx. 55 for most of my primary schooling. It went down to around 45 in secondary as far as I can recall.

willoughby

I was in a rural primary school, classes on average about 15, but teachers took two classes so each teacher had about thirty, in secondary we had a year with about 90 in it divided into three classes so again about thirty.

Obviously smaller classes would be more beneficial to students but we need to take it in context, what is the ideal size.

There is no shortage of school teachers in this country, probably actually an overflow, but there is a shortage of money and resources to pay them.

Crazy horse 6

Think the european average is in and around 26. We are destorying our kids future. It's alright though our bond yields are falling.

wexfordman

There were 39 kids in my primary school class, and I got a decent educa...well, I got an averag...well, I got an education.

You can count and spell, what's the problem.

D

Dylan2010

its one of those factors thats in the "nice" category but smaller classes are not the best way to improve education standards

stopdoingstuff

Large class sizes don't stop the Asians from beating most European nations on the Pisa scores.

Clanrickard

Large class sizes don't stop the Asians from beating most European nations on the Pisa scores.
Two things affect education quality most of all.

1. The Teacher
2. The attitude to education in the home.

35 in a class is not a problem.

eyelight

Think the european average is in and around 26. We are destorying our kids future. It's alright though our bond yields are falling.
Just for comparison, here in England my daughter has 27 in her primary school class, and that's with one teacher and one teaching assistant there all the time.
For her first year in school there were 30 in the class, but with one teacher and two full time teaching assistants.

freewillie

I was in a class of approx. 55 for most of my primary schooling. It went down to around 45 in secondary as far as I can recall.
We had 19 in my first year at Clongowes but following the collapse of the Celtic Tiger economy the overcrowding decreased when those builders children had to leave because Daddy couldn't afford the fees anymore. Having said that something must be done about the overcrowding in the Law Library. I will have to speak with Alan about restricitng entry to our profession. This is what happens when you give free education to the masses.

Berchmans

1. The Teacher

Thanks yet again for your expert advice on something that you've never done.

Prester Jim

1. The Teacher

1 and 2 are true but 3 is not so much...

Actually they can be, I find that it is considerably easier to teach smaller classes when I have them particularly as it allows me a few moments of time with each student that I just cannot have with a larger class.
The problem with the comparison between Asian classes, Ye Olde Irish class size and today is that in both of the former there was iron discipline in the classroom backed up by the rod and strong committment from the home to education or at least to the behaviour of the child.
Another issue is inclusion, now all kids of all backgrounds, abilities and levels of motivation are in one class and are kept there till 6th year if possible.
Do you see how this is different from a regimented South Korean class ruled with iron discipline both in school and at home?