• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Classic Indo moment today

commentator

Did anyone else notice the sideways comment on both modern Ireland and the journalistic sloppiness of the indo on Page 6 in today's (friday) rag? It is in kathy Donaghy's article on the rising cost of translation of "foreign" languages in Criminal court cases.

She listed the eight "foreign" languages which cost most to translate as follows:

Russian
Polish
Lithuanian
Spanish
French
Mandarin
czech
IRISH

Zhirkov

Not only that but the headline quotes a cost of €15 million while the body of the story says €1.5 million

commentator

Zhirkov said:
Not only that but the headline quotes a cost of €15 million while the body of the story says €1.5 million
I hadn't noticed that one. I mean to say who is editing thase pieces or are they being edited at all? Truly hopeless second rate hackery.

Pidge

commentator said:
Zhirkov said:
I hadn't noticed that one. I mean to say who is editing thase pieces or are they being edited at all? Truly hopeless second rate hackery.
Hackery? Oh come on, it's a feckin typo. If it was in the Irish Times you wouldn't start up a whole thread about it.

Worldbystorm

I'm no fan of the IT either, but as I noted elsewhere on P.ie today, the Indo led with all the information from the IT poll on page one, with two articles by Sam Smyth and James Downey of which only Downey credited the provenance of the poll.

Zhirkov

Pidge said:
commentator said:
Zhirkov said:
Hackery? Oh come on, it's a feckin typo. If it was in the Irish Times you wouldn't start up a whole thread about it.
I don't think that commentator started the thread about a typo. Perhaps you didn't read his first post?

Jim84

bobbysands81 said:
I honestly can't believe that people buy the Irish(sic) Independent(sic).
Most popular paper in Ireland ... does goes to show how many uniformed people there are on the island

FTA69

Half the people I know who buy that comic buy it simply because it is the biggest selling Sunday paper and they feel they would be "missing out" if they didn't get it every week. I find it hard to believe that the majority of its buyers can relate to the narrow, elitist, D4 orientation of the paper filled with such delightful columnists constantly reminding us how evil we all are for not demanding the summary execution of all known Republicans, how "sick" our society is for tolerating this "rising menace" and how great it is to be massively wealthy. Anyone remember the "03 Team"? Merciful hour...

ireland2004

FTA69 said:
Half the people I know who buy that comic buy it simply because it is the biggest selling Sunday paper and they feel they would be "missing out" if they didn't get it every week. I find it hard to believe that the majority of its buyers can relate to the narrow, elitist, D4 orientation of the paper filled with such delightful columnists constantly reminding us how evil we all are for not demanding the summary execution of all known Republicans, how "sick" our society is for tolerating this "rising menace" and how great it is to be massively wealthy. Anyone remember the "03 Team"? Merciful hour...
At least when we sieze power in Ireland we'll be able to shoot them all :wink:

:roll:

RBinge

...and the permitted newspapers will be the Daily Ireland, An Poblacht, the Angrytown News and the Business Post.

A highly diverse cross section of Irish media you will agree. :lol: :lol:

Website
www.finfacts.com
Jim84 said:
Most popular paper in Ireland ... does goes to show how many uniformed people there are on the island
Let's give some credit to an Irish business that has about 85 titles in 6 markets across the globe. I guess all their readers are not fools.

As for the Irish market, there isn't a huge difference between the content of the Irish Indo and the Irish Times.

Most Irish journos like lawyers, accountants etc have basically the same outlook on life. If you're middle class and have worked your way up the editorial ladder in RTE, Irish Times and Indo and haven't worked at anything else, the odd one is only likely to be an escapee from groupthink.

Is IT editor Geraldine Kennedy costing about €600K (including benefits) or Vincent Browne earning about €350,00 from his 3 journalism jobs, likley to be closer to the "real" people than their counterparts at the Indo?

The Irish Times isn't subject to the same commercial pressure as the Indo titles, but as we know, it nearly went bust because the absence of commercial pressures led to the top tier grabbing as much as they could: 60 company cars in a staff of 700, in 2000.

As to people who read the Sindo in case they miss something, it's akin to the usual bs about just happening to see some snippet of a TV programme, in case the other party thinks you're a loser if you admit you're a couch potato.

Sunday newspapers seldom provide news anyway.

As to typos, a few months ago, on the day that the Financial Times captioned a pic of the UK Sec for Trade and Industry as Sec for Works and Pensions on the front page, there were 2 big bu-bu's on the inside pages including the text "to the manner born" for "to the manor born."

At about the same time a pic of Micheal Martin in the Irish Times, had him captioned as the Minister for Finance

Jim84

MichaelHennigan said:
Jim84 said:
Let's give some credit to an Irish business that has about 85 titles in 6 markets across the globe. I guess all their readers are not fools.

As for the Irish market, there isn't a huge difference between the content of the Irish Indo and the Irish Times.

Most Irish journos like lawyers, accountants etc have basically the same outlook on life. If you're middle class and have worked your way up the editorial ladder in RTE, Irish Times and Indo and haven't worked at anything else, the odd one is only likely to be an escapee from groupthink.

Is IT editor Geraldine Kennedy costing about €600K (including benefits) or Vincent Browne earning about €350,00 from his 3 journalism jobs, likley to be closer to the "real" people than their counterparts at the Indo?

The Irish Times isn't subject to the same commercial pressure as the Indo titles, but as we know, it nearly went bust because the absence of commercial pressures led to the top tier grabbing as much as they could: 60 company cars in a staff of 700, in 2000.

As to people who read the Sindo in case they miss something, it's akin to the usual bs about just happening to see some snippet of a TV programme, in case the other party thinks you're a loser if you admit you're a couch potato.

Sunday newspapers seldom provide news anyway.

As to typos, a few months ago, on the day that the Financial Times captioned a pic of the UK Sec for Trade and Industry as Sec for Works and Pensions on the front page, there were 2 big bu-bu's on the inside pages including the text "to the manner born" for "to the manor born."

At about the same time a pic of Micheal Martin in the Irish Times, had him captioned as the Minister for Finance
Fair play to them; doesn't change the fact that it is a rag, that pushes a political agenda rather than inform the public on issues of national interest.

More likely to print a Press Release verbatim than actually go out and research a story for themselves. Their first and only consideration is marketing; the news is an after thought.

Denis O'Brien battle for Independent Newspapers will be interesting to watch. Hope it leads to a break up of the conglomerate.

O'Reilly has too much influence over Irish papers

Website
www.finfacts.com
Jim84 said:
[
Fair play to them; doesn't change the fact that it is a rag, that pushes a political agenda rather than inform the public on issues of national interest.

More likely to print a Press Release verbatim than actually go out and research a story for themselves. Their first and only consideration is marketing; the news is an after thought.

Denis O'Brien battle for Independent Newspapers will be interesting to watch. Hope it leads to a break up of the conglomerate.

O'Reilly has too much influence over Irish papers
So no other media outlet has an "agenda"?

As to research etc, all the newspapers spend very little on investigation.

The Crosbies have the same range of media outlets as INM. Have they any "agenda" or is it one you agree with?

jmcc

MichaelHennigan said:
Nowhere has that been more apparent than in the late unpleasantness of the dot.bomb era. Utterly clueless people were allowed to write about business and technology - their only qualification to do so was some kind of familiarity with a word processor. I think that President Kennedy's father commented that it was time to start shorting stocks when his shoeshine boy started advising him on stocks. In the dot.bomb, it seemed that the "technology" pages were filled with similar quality reportage from similarly expert people.

The real reason though for the lack of a clue in technology reporting is the fact that good technologists are expensive and are more likely to be employed in technology. Thus you had mainly people from an arts background filling up the journalist jobs. These people were often incapable of understanding the technology sufficiently to explain it simply and unaware of the business ramifications of technology company activities. I am not sure if the same level of cluelessness extends to other areas. It was so easy to game these people from a PR point of view, that some people started sending them fictional press releases to see if they would bite. Many did.

Politically, every publication reflects the views of its publishers. With a mass market (rather than niche) publication, that becomes all the more apparent. O'Reilly was apparently in the running for the second mobile licence that O'Brien's op managed to snag. Then there was the TV deflectors/rebeamers. O'Reilly's cable TV investments had to compete with these cheap, and illegal alternatives. Bruton had promised a bunch of these guys that he would look into the problem when he and FG got elected as the government. He did not expect to be in government within a few weeks of that meeting. But FG screwed the cable companies by doing nothing about the illegal deflector operations - just like FF had done before them. The payback was quite apparent when O'Reilly filled his front pages with anti-FG/Rainbow vitriol at the 1997 election.

I don't particularly like O'Reilly and his publications but the critical difference between the Indo and the Irish Times was that the Indo did not get carried away with the happy-clappy dot.bomb technology coverage in the same way that the IT did. And it did not make a massively stupid loss on an internet portal play.

O'Brien is a sharper operator than O'Reilly and the move on the INM stock could be interesting but it may just be to get to O'Reilly.

Regards...jmcc

eurocrat

Commentator, have you written to the II to reigster your complaint?

ManfredJudge

Then there was the TV deflectors/rebeamers. O'Reilly's cable TV investments had to compete with these cheap, and illegal alternatives.

Regards...jmcc
While RTE is paying lawyers to close down the deflector systems they are also paying the operators to get TV signals to places RTE cannot.

An expensive Irish solution to an Irish problem.