• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Clearly time for Reilly and Shatter to go.......

nonpartyboy

Everyday this govt becomes more like the ff led govt that they promised they would not be......arrogance on a grand scale, cronyism, spin and down right contempt for the people.

These 2 in particular, clearly cannot even see the wood from the trees, living up on their lofty heights i'm sure it all does look grand up there, even big phil has been smart enough to keep his mouth shut lately but then again that's probably easy enough when you are going on junkets halfway around the world.

Enda kenny is clearly failing by once again putting party before people.......

Everybody realises we have to do more with less, but the attitude of this pair in particular made further cuts far less palatable, especially when the cuts always seem aimed at those at the bottom.

Reilly under fire in new hospital row - News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Ministers should be exercised about Reilly

Minister under fire over 'fast-tracked' hospital upgrades - National News - Independent.ie

For God's sake turn in killers, priest pleads at garda funeral - National News - Independent.ie

Shatter accused of making Garda a

Shatter rules out new anti-crime laws - National News - Independent.ie

Will Kenny do the right thing ?

harshreality

If there was something better to replace them then yes I would agree that they should go. Unfortunately, and this reflects very badly on the rest of FG & LAB, there is nothing better than them within those parties.

Ribeye

em, and Hogan, and as of yesterday, Coveney too,

And therefore, as he's the boss, Kenny should also go,

henryhill

Not convinced that Shatter has made any serious mis-steps. Reilly must be close to the exit at this stage.

harshreality

Not convinced that Shatter has made any serious mis-steps. Reilly must be close to the exit at this stage.
Not a major fan of Shatter but I would agree that James Reilly should be relieved of his position before anyone else is.

Rocky

Of course he hasn't.

Shatter's one of the real reforming Ministers in the government. Alas much of this country and Fianna Fail still think it's 1922 and want a badly resourced one Garda station in ever village. That's the problem with this country, to bring in any reform you really have to push through an awful amount of crap.

Of course he also doesn't control how much money he is given, which also of course doesn't grow on trees. Just how he manages it.

Nermal

Shatter hasn't favoured Garda stations in his own or other minister's constituencies. Even if you disagree with his policies, you can at least admit him to be a principled man and an effective politician. O'Reilly is the complete opposite.

Rocky

Shatter hasn't favoured Garda stations in his own or other minister's constituencies. Even if you disagree with his policies, you can at least admit him to be a principled man and an effective politician. O'Reilly is the complete opposite.
That's very true.

The largest station to be closed is in Shatter's own Constituency. The second largest is in Gilmore's.

Windowshopper

Shatter seems to be just implementing government policy and for that reason I don't think there is a reason for him to go. Obviously Reilly is an omnishambles.

Socratus O' Pericles

Arrogant Al and Jim de Fixer 'll never go it is up to the people to consign them to a ring of hell hotter than the one their predecessors are on. At least with FF you are able to say to yourself –well ! ya know where ya stand with a buzzard –these guys turned lying into a new art form ,even for politicians-new politics me hole.

harshreality

I'm quite embarrassed to admit that I was sort of happy when Reilly was initially given the position.

I stupidly thought that a Dr in charge of the health service would be a good thing, time to try a teacher or solicitor I think:(

Socratus O' Pericles

That's very true.

The largest station to be closed is in Shatter's own Constituency. The second largest is in Gilmore's.
You sure about that? RTÉ were giving it out that the biggest was in Cork?

nonpartyboy

Of course he hasn't.

Shatter's one of the real reforming Ministers in the government. Alas much of this country and Fianna Fail still think it's 1922 and want a badly resourced one Garda station in ever village. That's the problem with this country, to bring in any reform you really have to push through an awful amount of crap.

Of course he also doesn't control how much money he is given, which also of course doesn't grow on trees. Just how he manages it.
Closing small stations in rural aera's without providing INCREASED transport levels is no compensation to old people scared out of their wits in rural aera's, shatter simply doesn't get it.......fine gael were always supposed to be the law and order party. But they are now presiding over the dismantlement of the garda service from rural ireland.

I saw a retired detective on primetime the other night and the sense out of the man was excellent, clearly he said the lack of resources was not a direct factor in the killing of Garda Donohoe, but he clearly explained how the lack of resources meant the gangs could not be sat on and made them become more ruthless.

As the priest said, they govt should take a good hard look at themselves and what they are cutting, how many quangos have been closed in favour of attempting to keep the policing service on the road ?

Oh and i don't think shatter has done anything wrong in a stoke sense, i just think he is the wrong man in the job, it needs a law and order person not a legal eagle. Agsi has already walked out of the croke pk 2 talks so i don't think it bodes well for future negotiations, i think shatter is more likely to start a fight, than stop one developing.

Last edited:

Fr.Ted Crilly

Everyday this govt becomes more like the ff led govt that they promised they would not be......arrogance on a grand scale, cronyism, spin and down right contempt for the people.

These 2 in particular, clearly cannot even see the wood from the trees, living up on their lofty heights i'm sure it all does look grand up there, even big phil has been smart enough to keep his mouth shut lately but then again that's probably easy enough when you are going on junkets halfway around the world.

Enda kenny is clearly failing by once again putting party before people.......

Everybody realises we have to do more with less, but the attitude of this pair in particular made further cuts far less palatable, especially when the cuts always seem aimed at those at the bottom.

Reilly under fire in new hospital row - News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Ministers should be exercised about Reilly

Minister under fire over 'fast-tracked' hospital upgrades - National News - Independent.ie

For God's sake turn in killers, priest pleads at garda funeral - National News - Independent.ie

Shatter accused of making Garda a

Shatter rules out new anti-crime laws - National News - Independent.ie

Will Kenny do the right thing ?
Calm down, calm down....
Nobody's going anywhere, at least not until they've served their 2 years as ministers and qualify for their ministers pensions.
FF/FG/Lab are one and the same.
Feather your nests lads & lassies......

ger12

Reilly should have gone months ago. While you may not like what Shatter is doing (and I don't), I see no reason for his resignation.

Davidoff

I'm quite embarrassed to admit that I was sort of happy when Reilly was initially given the position.

I stupidly thought that a Dr in charge of the health service would be a good thing, time to try a teacher or solicitor I think:(
I think many fair-minded people thought he was quite impressive in opposition.

Of course, it's relatively easy to look and sound the part while sitting on the opposition benches.

On reflection, I think one of his problems has been that he is politically inexperienced, and that doesn't help in such a sensitive role.

He's also been an unlucky general. His personal finances, for example, which have no bearing on how he does the job, were a banana-skin he could have done without.

cillian32

Reilly should have gone ages ago .....Shatter, although i cant stand his smug face.... this is not a resigning matter.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies