Climate Change Theory Degenerates into farce

Destiny's Soldier

Scientists pull an about face on global warming

Imagine if Pope Benedict gave a speech saying the Catholic Church has had it wrong all these centuries; there is no reason priests shouldn't marry. That might generate the odd headline, no?

Prof. Mojib Latif of Germany's Leibniz Institute has changed his mind on runaway warming.
In fact he is clearly trying to extricate himself from the theory.

Latif is one of the leading climate modellers in the world. He is the recipient of several international climate-study prizes and a lead author for the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

He has contributed significantly to the IPCC's last two five-year reports that have stated unequivocally that man-made greenhouse emissions are causing the planet to warm dangerously.

Yet last week in Geneva, at the UN's World Climate Conference--an annual gathering of the so-called "scientific consensus" on man-made climate change -- Latif conceded the Earth has not warmed for nearly a decade and that we are likely entering "one or even two decades during which temperatures cool."

The global warming theory has been based all along on the idea that the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans would absorb much of the greenhouse warming caused by a rise in man-made carbon dioxide, then they would let off that heat and warm the atmosphere and the land.

But as Latif pointed out, the Atlantic, and particularly the North Atlantic, has been cooling instead. And it looks set to continue a cooling phase for 10 to 20 more years.

It's about time our inept Government especially Micheal Martin, should stop making fools of themselves and the public.

Saying Climate Change is caused by CO2 gas is like saying the banks are sufficiently capitalised. It was obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence that the banks were bust long before our TD's started to notice and long before the Regulator and Central bank did anything about it.

When a major author of the IPCC's report is admitting the Climate is cooling and wont warm for another 10 or 20 years, it means the game is up on the science of "Climate Change".

The Lisbon Treaty and impending Carbon Taxes must be strongly opposed for that reason.

eoinod

It must be obvious to any thinking person at this stage that man made global warming is a load of codswallop.
No, what should be obvious to any well-informed person is that the current climatic problems stem from both natural factors (gradual heating that will eventually make us go somewhat like the way of Venus) and man made factors that are accelerating the natural factors.

anlkestony

Agree.. More spin and rubbish spouted by an elite group who think their sh1te doesn't stink

Aj1990

Even though,Global warming is not real,we should still become more efficient.

fiannafailure

A lot of this climate change debate is really about wasting resources and those who wish to continue to waste resources.

DS are you a waster or a saver

Panopticon

Imagine if Pope Benedict gave a speech saying the Catholic Church has had it wrong all these centuries; there is no reason priests shouldn't marry. That might generate the odd headline, no?

Prof. Mojib Latif of Germany's Leibniz Institute has changed his mind on runaway warming.

It's about time our inept Government especially Micheal Martin, should stop making fools of themselves and the public.

Saying Climate Change is caused by CO2 gas is like saying the banks are sufficiently capitalised. It was obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence that the banks were bust long before our TD's started to notice and long before the Regulator and Central bank did anything about it.

When a major author of the IPCC's report is admitting the Climate is cooling and wont warm for another 10 or 20 years, it means the game is up on the science of "Climate Change".

The Lisbon Treaty and impending Carbon Taxes must be strongly opposed for that reason.
What do you think has caused the large increase in global temperatures since the beginning of the last century?

Aj1990

If you switch the spark plugs in your motor vehicle to pulse plugs, you will lower the amount of fuel you use by 6%.

Divide the amount it costs you each month on lights by 8.57142857 and it gives you the amount it would cost if it were LED instead of Incandescent.

dresden8

What do you think has caused the large increase in global temperatures since the beginning of the last century?
Well, it used to be that the answer to an unknown effect was God's divine and unknowable plan. (Or the Gods).

Just because he doesn't know the answer doesn't mean your answer is right.

Is the answer God?

hiker

I've gone from a true believer to an unbiased sceptic.
The more i read, the more I beleive that my guess is as good as anybody else's out there.

In the word of some US geezer from the Arab Wars; "It's a known unknown".

Thats about as good as it gets.

However I still beleive passionatly that polution of the air is a crap way forward. Ask anyone who has had a disabled child born in beijing in the last 10 years. A 3-fold increase in birth defect that is thought to be due to evirnmental polution.

A HATE overfishing of the seas, the "murder" of primates in Africa and the destruction of rainforests in south America.
I think I'm an environmentalist but not a ClimateChange Believer...

fiannafailure

Destinys Soldier of course doesn't answer questions, but lets ask him again, are you a waster or a saver DS

goosebump

You're completely misrepresenting what Latif said.

He is of the view that Climate Change is man made, and that this had led to the rise in temperatures we have seen in the last 30 years.

He also believes that a particular natural phenomenon in the North Atlantic will slow the process for the next 10-20 years, and that after that, temperatures will continue on their upward path.

If he's correct, that means we'll have to 10-20 year delay in the catastrophic 2 degree increase that the IPCC is advising us to combat.

Very comforting.

goosebump

I've gone from a true believer to an unbiased sceptic.
The more i read, the more I beleive that my guess is as good as anybody else's out there.

In the word of some US geezer from the Arab Wars; "It's a known unknown".

Thats about as good as it gets.

However I still beleive passionatly that polution of the air is a crap way forward. Ask anyone who has had a disabled child born in beijing in the last 10 years. A 3-fold increase in birth defect that is thought to be due to evirnmental polution.

A HATE overfishing of the seas, the "murder" of primates in Africa and the destruction of rainforests in south America.
I think I'm an environmentalist but not a ClimateChange Believer...
It seems to take 40 years of research to turn someone into a believer and 1 speech to turn someone into a sceptic.

netron

when some gobsh1te like Martin rambles on about "climate change" then you know its a load of bollocks. its a power grab religion - that is all.

and they want to introduce carbon tax, in a nation of 4 million, while the Chinese build coal power stations by the hundred.

fiannafailure

when some gobsh1te like Martin rambles on about "climate change" then you know its a load of bollocks. its a power grab religion - that is all.

and they want to introduce carbon tax, in a nation of 4 million, while the Chinese build coal power stations by the hundred.
Wakey wakey netron, even if the Irish gov didnt introduce carbon taxes you will still pay them, Ireland is not alone in the universe

Akrasia

Hold on a minute, Prof. Mojib Latif is the climate change pope????

Woe, what a spectacularly unbelievably ridiculous thread.

"Some unknown guy changes his mind on climate change"

I did a search for Leibniz Institute on google and I got about 4 or 5 different organisations, including Solid state and materials research, A tropospheric research institute, and a marine science institute. None of those organisations listed mr Latif in their staff. On google the only english entries are specifically related to the story linked in the OP, The Wikipedia entry is a stub that has no information about him other than the quote referenced in the OP.

I'm not saying he's not a scientist, or that he's not a credible guy, but he's hardly the worlds most recognisable proponent of climate change theory

Yeah, this guy really is the Pope of Global warming.

Based on the ridiculously overblown way this 'story' was framed, it is extremely difficult to believe the content of that article (that this guy was a leading thinker supporting AGW theory who has done a 180 about face and is now a skeptic.

Even if that was true, 'Skeptics' never post threads about people who used to be skeptics who have now changed their minds and believe in global warming (I would suggest that many more people are in this category than the contrary (Excepting redneck types who believe al qaeda supporting aliens abducted them but that jesus will save them)

goosebump

Does that mean that every city in China with a population if less than 4m people should also be excluded from any measures to reduce CO2 emissions?

cactusflower

This appears to be a disingenuous post. Its old news that there may be a decade of cooler temperatures. A decade is neither here nor there in terms of climate change: if you look at graphs of past temperatures they look like sharks teeth, not a smooth curve. Its the long trend that matters.

I'm by no means an uncritical reader of climate change research, but the OP writer is well informed on climate change and must know that is an old story and doesn't have the significance that he suggests.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies