Clinton vs Trump - Final Presidential Debate of 2016

Who won the final presidential debate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stringjack

The final US presidential debate of 2016 kicks off at 0200 IST (1900 local time in Las Vegas).

The debate is being hosted by the University of Nevada, and moderated by Chris Wallace of Fox News. The format will be a return to standard after the second debate's town hall style. It will nominally consist of six segments of 15 minutes each, with questions on topics including immigration (which has come up surprisingly little in previous debates), the economy, and the Supreme Court (on which there is currently one vacant seat).

At the time of the first debate, Hillary Clinton held a lead in the polls of less then 2%. Since then, her lead has increased steadily to approximately 7% (numbers from 538), as both Donald Trump and Gary Johnson have lost ground. For comparison, Barack Obama won reelection in 2012 with a margin of 4% in the popular vote, and won in 2008 with a margin of just over 7%.

Clinton presently has leads in all of the states won by Obama in 2012, plus a (very narrow) lead in Arizona (11 electoral votes) and a somewhat more comfortable lead in North Carolina (15 electoral votes). Trump is running ahead of 2012 Republican nominee Mitt Romney in, for example, Ohio (18 electoral votes) and Iowa (6 electoral votes), though he doesn't quite lead in either state right now.

For pre-debate discussion, check out Socratus O' Pericles's thread:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/us-politics/251749-trump-v-clinton-fight-night-decider-19-10-2016-a.html

For threads covering the first and second debates, see:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/us-politics/251431-hillary-versus-donald-presidential-election-debates.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/us-politics/251713-trump-clinton-face-off-second-debate.html

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

Word that Wallace will ask about the Supreme Court (a big issue for conservatives), the debt/deficit, foreign hotspots and fitness to be president. I think immigration too.

Last edited:

Mercurial

I don't think Trump has mentioned The Wall in either of the first two debates. It will be interesting to see that topic covered explicitly.

I expect Clinton will be playing for another draw, but it will be interesting to see whether Trump doubles down on the crazy, or plays a more subtle game. Given his history thus far, I know which my money's on.

jmcc

Wikileaks may make an appearance. The aim will be to make HRC get very angry and flame out on stage. Could be the best debate of the campaign if that happens.

sadcitizen

Clinton's main issue at the 2nd debate was an inability to cope with Trump's barrages in a way that didn't make her look arrogant/sneering.

She's barely made any public appearances since the last debate and has apparently been preparing to a great extent.

I expect that we'll see an even more controlled Hillary, less smiling, less hoping that Trump's accusations wont be taken seriously.

Trump may double down on the accusations because they were effective and persuasive, but ultimately this is his last chance to act in a presidential manner.

Betson

Debate will have little difference in the final vote , Clinton has it well wrapped up at this stage but should be interesting nonetheless.

off with their heads

Debate will have little difference in the final vote , Clinton has it well wrapped up at this stage but should be interesting nonetheless.
Clinton does not have it well wrapped up...not by a damn sight:D

Mercurial

Supposedly Trump has actually practiced for this one. Will it pay off?

Betson

Supposedly Trump has actually practiced for this one. Will it pay off?
Most likely not , he cannot stop talking about himself , he needs to put Hilary on 'Trial' , not bring everything back to himself and his 'great' business's etc.

D

Deleted member 48908

sadcitizen

Here's what Trump's Reddit account just posted. Before the last debate it effectively laid out his theme for the night.

My Deplorables — This is it. The FINAL DEBATE.
The Corrupt Clintons are doing everything they can to stop us.
They are committing voter fraud, the rigged media is ignoring the facts, and they are telling lie after lie.
It shouldn’t be a surprise with these people. I am going to DRAIN THE SWAMP.
Loopholes are going to be closed. Term limits are going to be in place. Lobbyists are going to be stopped.
AND people like Crooked Hillary Clinton will no longer get rich off the backs of the hard working Americans that built this country.
We will WIN. We will MAGA.
This suggests to me that he's going to double down on the last debate's tactic.

Clinton's looking well. Almost doesn't look evil.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies