Cllr. Brian Meaney resigns from Greens - hopes to defect to Fianna Fáil

Red Clover

Meaney is gone. He wont have an ounce of credibility. Even in Clare they wont vote for him.

Astral Peaks

How cynical can you possibly get!

Meaney was one of their foremost holier-than-thou "we're destroying ourselves by being so close to FF!" crowd back in the day, and now he jumps ship to FF?

Hilarious stuff.
That about sums this story up. Bizarre decision....

Sync

Meaney is gone. He wont have an ounce of credibility. Even in Clare they wont vote for him.
Except he'll pick up the resurgent FF vote, which will put him in a better position for re-election. It's either a smart political move that may line him up for a run at the Dail or all of this just got too much for him:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/feck-off-poster-has-green-councillor-all-fuelled-up-1.453097

“It appears that there are some groups that can be publicly vilified without any fear of prosecution or media reprimand. The members of the Green Party are one such group, as the photograph shows.
“If a similar advert with a picture of Gerry Adams and telling SF to feck off were put on a petrol pump it probably would invalidate the fire insurance cover for the garage.”
Pious self pity? Needless dig at SF? Sher he'd fit better with FG...

Clanrickard

Never overestimate the intelligence of the Clare electorate.

bye bye mubarak

Looks like the Green party are now officially more toxic that FF.
Certainly more corrupt. They were a crowd of gravy train chasers without conviction or principle - two virtues that got them elected and failure destroyed them.
I am suprised that FFnua would tarnish their new image by allowing in a member of the most corrupt party in Irish politicap history.

Clanrickard

Clanrickard

Certainly more corrupt. They were a crowd of gravy train chasers without conviction or principle - two virtues that got them elected and failure destroyed them.
I am suprised that FFnua would tarnish their new image by allowing in a member of the most corrupt party in Irish politicap history.
That post is typical of the ignorant ill-informed tabloid bs that passes for political comment on here. Grow up ffs!

bye bye mubarak

That post is typical of the ignorant ill-informed tabloid bs that passes for political comment on here. Grow up ffs!
Just cannot imagine why you would make this comment. I cannot remember any political party so small and short time in government in Ireland who post a minister for interfering in garda investigation, got as many political pensions, associated themselves with allegations of brothel keeping, got as many quango jobs for the boys than anyone else.
Maybe you think this is principled politics, maybe you are ill-informed, but to me who supported their cause, they became a byword for corrupt.

FakeViking

Just cannot imagine why you would make this comment. I cannot remember any political party so small and short time in government in Ireland who post a minister for interfering in garda investigation, got as many political pensions, associated themselves with allegations of brothel keeping, got as many quango jobs for the boys than anyone else.
Maybe you think this is principled politics, maybe you are ill-informed, but to me who supported their cause, they became a byword for corrupt.
The Cabbages will be always remembered for jumping into bed with Ahern in return for a handful of empty promises, with the words of the Planet Bertie speech ringing in their ears. They deserve all the opprobium they get.

john scott

According to the polls it seems obvious that FF will win a seat in each constituency in the next election. I therefore predict you will have several councillors from other parties defecting to join FF in the hope that they will win the FF seat. Watch this space.

realistic1

According to the polls it seems obvious that FF will win a seat in each constituency in the next election. I therefore predict you will have several councillors from other parties defecting to join FF in the hope that they will win the FF seat. Watch this space.
Labour to FF? Will they be taken?

Clanrickard

The Greens may have been naive but they were not corrupt. They had a chance as Councillors to take the brown envelopes but in fatc they were warning everybody about the bubble. None of them were wealthy or got wealthy because of the government they were in. They were a handful of members dominated by a much larger and more corrupt party. They did what they could. To suggest they are more corrupt than the political wing of the IRA is laughable.

Dal gCais

I'd have to imagine that Meaney is merely testing the water with his comments regarding joining FF. He's been a massive critic of them in local media even in recent times. Would he even get through a selection convention for the locals if he joins FF? They've two sitting county Councillors in Ennis plus a couple of town Councillors it'd be one hell of a scrap for him to even get on the ticket I'd guess. Add to that, only last week they'd two young Ennis lads in the paper who're running for the FF executive who they've paraded in the local press previously. Might they over load their ticket and kill their 'resurgent' vote? Is the former Green a little green for thinking that certain members will welcome him into the party before knifing him in the back at convention?

Last edited:

OceanFrog

The Greens may have been naive but they were not corrupt.

None of them were wealthy or got wealthy because of the government they were in.
I agree that the Greens were not "corrupt" in the strictest sense of the word. However, they did actively support and collude with blatant FF corruption.

I disagree that none of them got wealthy because of the Govt they were in. Do you know the extent of the lump-sum, step down payments, and pensions that Ryan and Gormley receive? Many would call that walking away wealthy.

OceanFrog

Meaney going to FF is no big surprise. Many may be shocked at the extent of the close links between FF and the Green Party ...

1. Dan Boyle's father, Joe, was a lifelong member of Fianna Fáil, and chairman of the local Charles Daly cumann in Turners Cross in Cork city.

2. Ciarán Cuffe's grand-uncle was the Fianna Fáil TD Patrick Little.

3. Ex-Green cllr JJ Power's father, Paddy Power, was a Fianna Fáil TD and minister, he also served as an MEP. His brother, Seán Power was also a Fianna Fáil TD and served as Minister of State at the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources from May 2008 to April 2009.

4. Dr Jim McDaid's son ran for the Greens in Sligo/Nth Leitrim at the GE and also at local elections.

5. John Gormley was brought up with Fianna Fail. His father was a supporter and appointed a regional manager in Posts and Telegraphs when his friend, Albert Reynolds, was appointed a minister.

realistic1

Meaney going to FF is no big surprise. Many may be shocked at the extent of the close links between FF and the Green Party ...

1. Dan Boyle's father, Joe, was a lifelong member of Fianna Fáil, and chairman of the local Charles Daly cumann in Turners Cross in Cork city.

2. Ciarán Cuffe's grand-uncle was the Fianna Fáil TD Patrick Little.

3. Ex-Green cllr JJ Power's father, Paddy Power, was a Fianna Fáil TD and minister, he also served as an MEP. His brother, Seán Power was also a Fianna Fáil TD and served as Minister of State at the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources from May 2008 to April 2009.

4. Dr Jim McDaid's son ran for the Greens in Sligo/Nth Leitrim at the GE and also at local elections.

5. John Gormley was brought up with Fianna Fail. His father was a supporter and appointed a regional manager in Posts and Telegraphs when his friend, Albert Reynolds, was appointed a minister.
Maybe FFs offspring were hedging their bets in case the Greens became a success. The old FF greed came through in the Green party when they decided to entered Government.

Earnest

Well he won't be the last rat to leave that sinking ship. I remember a lovely old guy Donagh McCarthy Murrough who used to run for the Greens in Cork, sincere, decent honest, never got elected but convince many a people of the importance of environmental issues, peace activism etc. Though influence more important than power for it's own sake. Then of course along came Dan Boyle........
Donogh MacCarthy Morrogh stood in Cork North-Central. Dan Boyle stood in Cork South-Central. Therefore, whatever reason Donogh had for not standing again, it was not that he was removed by Dan Boyle.

bye bye mubarak

The Greens may have been naive but they were not corrupt. They had a chance as Councillors to take the brown envelopes but in fatc they were warning everybody about the bubble. None of them were wealthy or got wealthy because of the government they were in. They were a handful of members dominated by a much larger and more corrupt party. They did what they could. To suggest they are more corrupt than the political wing of the IRA is laughable.
They had the chance to walk away at any time and without the rest, I could see how the ill informed migh see them as naive.
One senior member said he wouldn't tale a govt post, all of a sudden took a job, but was forced to resign after inferferring with a garda investigation to help a voter, sound like a FF backswoods man. Another time, they not only stood by and ignored the accusation made by a FFer that a Shinner ran a brothel,not only stood by but colluded. They swapped their jobs about to get themselves pensions and perks for themselves, called filling your boots.
They made sure that their rejected councillors got paid jobs on quangos, without intrerviews or qualifications.
ministerial resignation, garda investigatio interference, plenty of jobs for the boys, personal political slurry, no sign of naivety, just typical manovering to keep their own personal troughs filled. Then at the end of the government, they offered their support to the opposition, no dougb for another chance to keep their snouts in the govt trough.

Dal gCais

He's just off of Clare FM there. Confirmed that he's applied for FF membership and that if he doesn't get the nod for them for the locals next year that he'll basically be finished.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies