• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Cllr Vincent P. Martin to run for the Green Party in Cavan-M

Pidge

Best of luck to him, but isn't this a bit late to start a campaign?

Gombeen

Wolverine

Met him once at the 25th Anniversary celebrations for Maynooth Students Union. Nice bloke, a bit Blairish with the painted on smile but we won't hold that against him.

biteback

Has he got a chance of being elected - possibly taking the Independent or Sinn Fein seats there?

Just wondering, as I don't know anything about the consituency and noticed his background as a town and county councillor.

biteback said:
Has he got a chance of being elected - possibly taking the Independent or Sinn Fein seats there?

Just wondering, as I don't know anything about the consituency and noticed his background as a town and county councillor.
Simple answer is no, he wont win a seat. Paudge will probably lose his seat but it will be to FF or FG.

SF will not be losing a seat in Monaghan, but if you'd like to put a wager on it, I have a small 3 bedroom house im willing to stake

tenderloins1

Twitter
@electionlit
He wont win the seat especially with it being in effect a four seater.
Hoever a clever move by both him and the Greens. Has a record campaigning on the hospital issue and is also a Monaghan candidate. SO may well take votes from Connolly.
At this stage there are also plenty of commuters living in Cavan and indeed Monaghan which could be fertile ground for the Greens.
At the last election he polled almost 2000 votes and the Greens polled 1100.
This time I'd expect him to poll around 5000 first preferences, providing him with an excellent base for the future.

AndrewM

Website
www.greenparty.ie
tenderloins1 said:
He wont win the seat especially with it being in effect a four seater.
Hoever a clever move by both him and the Greens. Has a record campaigning on the hospital issue and is also a Monaghan candidate. SO may well take votes from Connolly.
At this stage there are also plenty of commuters living in Cavan and indeed Monaghan which could be fertile ground for the Greens.
At the last election he polled almost 2000 votes and the Greens polled 1100.
This time I'd expect him to poll around 5000 first preferences, providing him with an excellent base for the future.
And extra dosh for us through public funding!
Whats the ratio of votes to euros gained in public funding? A lot of it is decided by the number of TDs but there's also certain percentage decided by total number of votes. Does anyone know what the formula for that is?

Pidge

AndrewM said:
And extra dosh for us through public funding!
Whats the ratio of votes to euros gained in public funding? A lot of it is decided by the number of TDs but there's also certain percentage decided by total number of votes. Does anyone know what the formula for that is?
I've got to run, but it's probably in here somewhere.

kerrynorth

I saw in the papers in the last week or so that the previous 2002 general election candidate for the Greens was convicted under d.rug trafficing legislation. His name escapes me at the moment. Something to do with importing stuff that was banned. He got a big fine I think. Still and all not great news for the Greens having one of their election candidates convicted of d.rug trafficing!

kerrynorth said:
I saw in the papers in the last week or so that the previous 2002 general election candidate for the Greens was convicted under d.rug trafficing legislation. His name escapes me at the moment. Something to do with importing stuff that was banned. He got a big fine I think. Still and all not great news for the Greens having one of their election candidates convicted of d.rug trafficing!
Marcus McCabe is his name. Nice Guy. He runs a rather strange religous group, part of the ritual is a tea drink which includes a banned substance. In scentencing the judge said he accepted that it was a genuine case for personal and religous use, but the law is the law.

Not quite the scandal that some locally have tried to make out.

Vincent was never anything if not confident in his own abilities.