• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

clondalkin - Siac gets go ahead

MrD011

An Bord Pleanala has given Siac Construction the go ahead to build 350 apartments up to 8 stories high on the lands of their Head Office Building on the Monastery Road Clondalkin despite strong appeals from locals , councillors and TDs .

In their Judgement An Bord Pleanala described it as "an appropriate development" for the site.

my questions are these .

1) I live in the area and know that any schools and shops are a considerable distance from the site , therefore how could it be described as "appropriate" .

2) who are going to live in these apartments . will it be more Foreign workers .

3) Is the government putting pressure on the Bord to look favourably on large scale property developments in order to get money in the kitty.

Limerick Lad

An Bord Pleanala has given Siac Construction the go ahead to build 350 apartments up to 8 stories high on the lands of their Head Office Building on the Monastery Road Clondalkin despite strong appeals from locals , councillors and TDs .

In their Judgement An Bord Pleanala described it as "an appropriate development" for the site.

my questions are these .

1) I live in the area and know that any schools and shops are a considerable distance from the site , therefore how could it be described as "appropriate" .

2) who are going to live in these apartments . will it be more Foreign workers .

3) Is the government putting pressure on the Bord to look favourably on large scale property developments in order to get money in the kitty.
What difference does it make who might be the potential residents of the proposed apartments, are you suggesting that the possibility of foreign working residing in a development should be grounds to refuse planning permission.

meriwether

We should put the empty houses in Leitrim on a trailer, and move them aornd the country where housing is required.

I have long advocated merging ghost estates from Tullamore, Ballyhaunis and Cobh together to make the Childrens hospital.

No one is listening though.

firefly123

We should put the empty houses in Leitrim on a trailer, and move them aornd the country where housing is required.

I have long advocated merging ghost estates from Tullamore, Ballyhaunis and Cobh together to make the Childrens hospital.

No one is listening though.
Nonsense! We should be selling chunks of genuine Irish ghost estate to our diaspora as part of the gathering. We can get employment by having lazy spongers who clearly love being unemployed paint little leprechaun foot prints on the chunks of pyrite tainted masonry.

MrD011

What difference does it make who might be the potential residents of the proposed apartments, are you suggesting that the possibility of foreign working residing in a development should be grounds to refuse planning permission.
why allow 350 apartments be built when there is no demand from locals for them ? I dont know many people who have the cash nowadays to buy an apartment to live in , the only conclusion is that they will be built to house foreign workers

firefly123

why allow 350 apartments be built when there is no demand from locals for them ? I dont know many people who have the cash nowadays to buy an apartment to live in , the only conclusion is that they will be built to house foreign workers
Who will buy them? You're not suggesting that the foreigners are bringing money into the state and purchasing property and then working here and paying tax whilst buying goods and services. Oh noes!

pragmaticapproach

Do the "locals" collectively own that piece of land? If not then its none of their concern whats built there on what is private property. If they have a problem, then they should sue for loss of property value, that is assuming the development has that effect, which it more than likely wont.

Ever hear of a thing called Private property?

pragmaticapproach

Who will buy them? You're not suggesting that the foreigners are bringing money into the state and purchasing property and then working here and paying tax whilst buying goods and services. Oh noes!
I wouldnt expect him to understand basic economics, for starters, he clearly doesnt understand the law of supply and demand.

bonkers

Do the "locals" collectively own that piece of land? If not then its none of their concern whats built there on what is private property. If they have a problem, then they should sue for loss of property value, that is assuming the development has that effect, which it more than likely wont.

Ever hear of a thing called Private property?
That's complete nonsense. If a developer decides to build an incinerator or a slaughterhouse next door to you, in your opinion, you should have no say in whether its built or not. If he decides to build an 8 storie apt. Block that puts your house in darkness you should not object because its private property. What planet are you living on?

Mountaintop

...you've started dreaming of a 'white' Christmas a little early this year....

pragmaticapproach

That's complete nonsense. If a developer decides to build an incinerator or a slaughterhouse next door to you, in your opinion, you should have no say in whether its built or not. If he decides to build an 8 storie apt. Block that puts your house in darkness you should not object because its private property. What planet are you living on?
You could sue for loss of property value beforehand, since the effect on property values would be immediate once a development such as an incinerator is announced.

Love Ireland

Who will buy them? You're not suggesting that the foreigners are bringing money into the state
I'm suggesting that while most of the native population are being locked out of the workplace and remain on the Dole , Foreign workers are being brought into to work for slave wages , these foreign workers often apartment share and would be more than happy to rent the apartments which will be either owned by Siac or the wealthy Irish property investor who will add them to their portfolio of properties.

statsman

I'm suggesting that while most of the native population are being locked out of the workplace and remain on the Dole , Foreign workers are being brought into to work for slave wages , these foreign workers often apartment share and would be more than happy to rent the apartments which will be either owned by Siac or the wealthy Irish property investor who will add them to their portfolio of properties.
Do you understand what the word 'most' means?

D

Dylan2010

that would not be in keeping with good property rights , or would give an indication that the area is so chaotic that one would be stupid to live there. My house was built before the "modern" planning laws were implemented and I was looking at the deeds, the whole area has very specific uses, and what activities can be carried on.

firefly123

Seems to me he is more concerned about the contents of the apartment than the apartments themselves. I don't think that's really a sound basis of lodging an objection.

EvotingMachine0197

It's not the concern of ABP whether the apartments can be sold or not.

bonkers

You could sue for loss of property value beforehand, since the effect on property values would be immediate once a development such as an incinerator is announced.
It's not all about money. I doubt you'd win anyway. An Bord P. have given permission for this so I reckon it would be just tough on you. People have a right to object even if its private property. Your neighbour could put up any monstrosity otherwise. You wouldn't want that, surely?

bonkers

Seems to me he is more concerned about the contents of the apartment than the apartments themselves. I don't think that's really a sound basis of lodging an objection.
If that's his real concern, he needs to cop on.

pragmaticapproach

It's not all about money. I doubt you'd win anyway. An Bord P. have given permission for this so I reckon it would be just tough on you. People have a right to object even if its private property. Your neighbour could put up any monstrosity otherwise. You wouldn't want that, surely?
Restrictive covenants would deal with that problem, see Dylan2010s post.

Clanrickard

Do the "locals" collectively own that piece of land? If not then its none of their concern whats built there on what is private property.
A contender for ridiculous post of the day. There is a collective ownership of the environment and everyone is entitled to give their views on buildings that impact on that environment. Private ownership is not and should be absolute.