• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Closing the Gender Gap: Sexist Propaganda?

Asparagus

Motherhood hits Irish women's pay harder than anywhere else in Europe - The Irish Times - Tue, Dec 18, 2012

Women pay a high price for motherhood and nowhere more so than in Ireland, according to a report from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

The arrival of children has a more drastic impact on the earning abilities of Irish women than anywhere else in Europe, Closing the Gender Gap: Act Now finds.

Younger Irish women workers outearn their male counterparts, and by a far greater margin than anywhere else in the OECD. But the pay gap is quickly reversed in favour of men once children are involved.

From earning 17 per cent more than men when they have no children, Irish women aged 25-44 go to taking home 14 per cent less in their pay packet when they have children, the report finds.

Researchers say Irish women start their careers earning well because they are generally better qualified than men. But once they give birth, they are far more likely than women in other countries to withdraw from the workforce .
As a man i am very worried about the slanted interpretation from this study. These reports feed into legislation and cultural mindset and are culminating in a anti male bias in employment law and opportunity.

Firstly i find it offensive that women are found to be more educated /better qualified than men. Why is this? Is it a biological constraint of males or is the education system slanted towards girls rather than boys?
is the gender gap in the teaching / educational science profession causing a bias towards the education of girls over boys?

Secondly, Are young Irish women really 17% better qualified than Irish Men - if not then why do they earn so much more at this stage?

Thirdly, Are women who return to work after a certain amount of time having and raising children, able to demonstrate the same relevant experience that their male counterparts have racked up in their absence.

Fourtly, are we all stupid? The only reason we have both sexes competing across the board for jobs is so that we can have two incomes to pay higher mortgages.

southwestkerry

I blame the feminists and their 'hit the boys' campaign. Mind you I think some women out their might be embarrassed when ever they come across statements like that yet what can they do.
SwK
PS yip I had the misfortune at having an acquaintance who was a pow pow feminist and still I have not got over the meeting :rolleyes:

D

Dylan2010

anicdotal but if you want to give fresh faced social worker a near heart attack, present them with a stay at home mom, you can almost see the cogs in their brain trying to make sense of the situation.....

Asparagus

I blame the feminists and their 'hit the boys' campaign. Mind you I think some women out their might be embarrassed when ever they come across statements like that yet what can they do.
SwK
PS yip I had the misfortune at having an acquaintance who was a pow pow feminist and still I have not got over the meeting :rolleyes:

I don't blame feminism - that is grand - what i blame is a self destructive, anti-human liberallity.
Men trying to appear resonable by bending over backwards to screw there fellow man.

Women's quota's in the Dail - so more Harney's, Coughlan's, Creightons, O'Rourkes.

Puh-lease - nothing is more equal than a democratically elected process, where the constituents are roughly 50/50 male / female.

NeilW

Are cuts in Ireland so bad that this thread has had to step in to provide care in the community to some of our more vulnerable citizens?

Asparagus

Are cuts in Ireland so bad that this thread has had to step in to provide care in the community to some of our more vulnerable citizens?
The what now?

Druidess

Shouldn't they interpret men's inferior educational attainment as evidence of oppression against men?

Didimus

I don't blame feminism - that is grand - what i blame is a self destructive, anti-human liberallity.
Men trying to appear resonable by bending over backwards to screw there fellow man.

Women's quota's in the Dail - so more Harney's, Coughlan's, Creightons, O'Rourkes.

Puh-lease - nothing is more equal than a democratically elected process, where the constituents are roughly 50/50 male / female.
Women have the edge on spelling and punctuation which gives them a competitive advantage.

S

simeongrimes

Fourtly, are we all stupid? The only reason we have both sexes competing across the board for jobs is so that we can have two incomes to pay higher mortgages.
Yes we were taken for a ride there but it's not feminism's fault. Nobody can give you a mortgage you don't want. Marriage and long term commitments are a terrible idea in the current situation. Your job can go to China tomorrow but you are stuck with a wife and kids looking to be kept in the comfort to which they are accustomed plus a bank who want your blood.

Modern life is akin to slavery but there are no guards or gates. The prison is of our own making.

Giz3us

One of the complaints from public sector employees is that while they get a good salary when they join, the salary doen't increase much over their career. According to this report ( epsu.org/IMG/pdf/L_Fulton_Final_report.pdf Page 7) females account for 72% of public sector employees. It could just be that by the time female public sector employees decide to have children (usually early 30s for professionals) the salaries of their male counterparts in the private sector would have matched theirs, and in some cases go on to exceed them.

Politics matters

Motherhood hits Irish women's pay harder than anywhere else in Europe - The Irish Times - Tue, Dec 18, 2012

As a man i am very worried about the slanted interpretation from this study. These reports feed into legislation and cultural mindset and are culminating in a anti male bias in employment law and opportunity.

Firstly i find it offensive that women are found to be more educated /better qualified than men. Why is this? Is it a biological constraint of males or is the education system slanted towards girls rather than boys?
is the gender gap in the teaching / educational science profession causing a bias towards the education of girls over boys?

Secondly, Are young Irish women really 17% better qualified than Irish Men - if not then why do they earn so much more at this stage?

Thirdly, Are women who return to work after a certain amount of time having and raising children, able to demonstrate the same relevant experience that their male counterparts have racked up in their absence.

Young women today possibly are more qualified. Statistically they do better than Boys in the Leaving Cert, mainly from maturity. Maturity, confidence, and people skills are essentail to the real world and I believe that young women today out class young men in those three areas.

Trainwreck

The throw away lines are a laugh though.

When women earn more than men it is because they are "better qualified".

Any explanation what that means Madam? A sociology graduate SHOULD earn more than a plumber? Why?

Of course the big news was the lauch of the "OECD Gender Data Portal" .... oooooh Matron!!!!!

I love the title though. "Act Now". No motive betrayed by that..... [not]

Asparagus

Women have the edge on spelling and punctuation which gives them a competitive advantage.
And yet, they lose that edge when they have children.

Maybe it wasn't such an edge after all.

Trainwreck

Shouldn't they interpret men's inferior educational attainment as evidence of oppression against men?
Aparently that is because girls work harder and are smarter than boys. [one of the basis tenets of "Equality"]

Unless of course they find that boys outperform girls, in which case they find that Gender gaps in primary education still persist in some geographic regions

I think that is known as having your cake and eating and then eating the cake of the man next to you.

Asparagus

Young women today possibly are more qualified. Statistically they do better than Boys in the Leaving Cert, mainly from maturity. Maturity, confidence, and people skills are essentail to the real world and I believe that young women today out class young men in those three areas.
So ok.

Your point is that girls are more Mature, Confident and Adept Socially at a younger age than boys.
While i don't 100% agree with you lets assume that you are right.

Why are boys being forced to compete on a level playing field when women have the advantages in these three areas?

Why aren't we out campaigning to have more Maturity, Confidence and Social skills for boys?

Trainwreck

So if men do better in the workplace as they mature because they are assertive, confident, single minded, less emotional etc. it is OK for them to earn more than women?

Asparagus

So if men do better in the workplace as they mature because they are assertive, confident, single minded, less emotional etc. it is OK for them to earn more than women?
But presumably they only do better as they mature because they develop penises in mid life.

Potatoeman

From earning 17 per cent more than men when they have no children, Irish women aged 25-44 go to taking home 14 per cent less in their pay packet when they have children, the report finds.
I like the way this is not an issue as it's to their advantage. What is the proof that they are more qualified?

Researchers say Irish women start their careers earning well because they are generally better qualified than men. But once they give birth, they are far more likely than women in other countries to withdraw from the workforce .
How does working a three day week impact this and also going on extended maternity leave.

Popular Threads

Most Replies