Co-living is like a trendy, boutique hotel claims Eoghan Murphy

carlovian

wombat

Since they have to cook for themselves, its more like an upmarket hostel than a prison.

silverharp

its a bit dystopian, communism brought to you by capitalism

myrak

Useful in the current housing crisis only if the bulk of young people had trendy boutique hotel charge pay levels

Last edited:

ymmek

Housing minister Eoghan Murphy denied that coliving is like a prison but compared it to a ‘trendy, boutique hotel’

He’s a real man of the people !

I wonder if any Dail deputies would co-live? Not bloody likely.

carlovian

I wonder if any Dail deputies would co-live? Not bloody likely.
Murphy was talking about having to share a house in his youth with 2 others and how his room was a bit small.

I cried for him and how he suffered.

It must have been awful.

omgsquared

It just shows how removed that current bunch of elected officials are from tthe vast majority of society. Whether it is Murphy or the TOESHOCK or Mary Robinson or Wallace a bunch of cunning slick thieving self serving ............/
And worse still is the stupidity of the Irish people who vote for these ....
We doo not live in a dictatorship , we vote for themAHHHHHHHH

wombat

The only reason these developments will be built is if there is a demand for them, people have no problem with house sharing so I don't see why they would dislike this type of living other than cost.

carlovian

The only reason these developments will be built is if there is a demand for them, people have no problem with house sharing so I don't see why they would dislike this type of living other than cost.
There is a desperate demand for housing but Murphy’s colliving prison type accommodation is hardly ideal.
There are already dozens of people sharing cramped houses in Dublin.

This doesn’t make it a good thing.

toughbutfair

If land shortage was an issue I’d agree but it clearly isn’t. The whole country is rural.

wombat

There is a desperate demand for housing but Murphy’s colliving prison type accommodation is hardly ideal.
There are already dozens of people sharing cramped houses in Dublin.

This doesn’t make it a good thing.
Its not Murphy's idea, its a purely capitalist reaction to a demand. From what I can see, its an expensive offer which may suit well paid contractors, certainly not a type of social housing.

fifilawe

poor old "our Kofi Annan" aka Eoghan Murphy the minister for Non-Housing and the Homeless could not hold an interview with a ventriloquist's dummy , he is just so gaff ridden, cliche driven it is past a joke and he is a bigger joke than Basil Brush.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The return of the tenement. Just re-branded as a 'co-living, modern solution with all the joys of social interaction with the 18 members of one family living in the next module, a micro-kitchen, communal toilet with a picture of the Bleeding Rectum of Holy Ravenna on the wall. A very modern solution to a very modern problem. Call the Future today with your application for co-living delight. Remember to bring your family's credit history and earnings record for at least three generations with you to save time getting into massive debt quickly.'

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There's one poor fellow in Dublin-well, sometimes, but usually only for court appearances, bribing politicians and to see his family who don't even have a kitchen at all in the house, apparently.

And he is also allegedly a billionaire. If you only look at income and not commitment. But then sure aren't we all doing well under that methodology.

Watcher2

There is a demand for housing. If this is the housing that's provided, it will be lived in. The Ballymun flats were lived in. These will be worse.

wombat

There is a demand for housing. If this is the housing that's provided, it will be lived in. The Ballymun flats were lived in. These will be worse.
Should tents be banned because people use them. These units will have limited appeal, they're talking €1300 per month which is not cheap.

Watcher2

Should tents be banned because people use them. These units will have limited appeal, they're talking €1300 per month which is not cheap.
No one is suggesting tents be used as living accommodation so your addition of it is patently ridiculous.

MsDaisyC

Tenement living on a boutique hotel budget. Ireland 2019.

toughbutfair

The ballymun flats were very well built , had electricity before many other houses. The problem was the people didn’t maintain them or raise their children to be respectful.

Watcher2

The ballymun flats were very well built , had electricity before many other houses. The problem was the people didn’t maintain them or raise their children to be respectful.
Well, I would suspect these new slums will be built to "the highest regulatory standards" and will have electricity etc etc.

Whats your point?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies