• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Cobh Town Council 2009 - 2014

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
This thread is a follow on to our popular Cobh election thread as the people have now returned our new council for the next five years and this is a thread where we can comment on their progress etc.

Our new council is: (in oder of election)

Sean O'Connor Ind.
Jim Quinlan Lab.
Paddy Histon Ind.
John Mulvihill Jnr. Lab.
Michael Martin FF
Kieran McCarthy SF
Sinead Sheppard FG
Paddy Whitty FG
Finbarr O'Driscoll Lab.

Last edited:

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
To get the ball rolling, here is my report on today's AGM:

I attended today’s AGM with great hope that we will at least see signs of unity and a belief that together Cobh should be put first and petty differences should be pushed aside, I could not have been more wrong.

The election of mayor set the tone and what followed speaks for itself with no comment necessary.

There were two nominees for mayor Paddy Whitty FG (who failed to reach the quota) was proposed by John Mulvihill Jnr Lab. and seconded by Sinead Sheppard FG. Sean O’Connor Ind. (who polled 2.5 quotas) was proposed by Kieran McCarthy SF and seconded by Michael Martin FF.
The resulting vote saw Whitty elected 6:3.

For deputy mayor Paddy Histon was elected having been proposed by Paddy Whitty FG and seconded by Jim Quinlan Lab.

We now know there is a new mayorial pact agreed between FG and Labour, which is supported by “independent” Paddy Histon (who I suspect will formally join FG before taking up a term as mayor).

What emerged afterwards was how deep this pact stretched with every single position being shared between these 6 and councillors Martin, O’Connor and McCarthy completely shut out losing every vote on a 6:3 count.

Here are the full details:

Association of Munical authorities (2 nominees)
Nominee 1: John Mulvihill Jnr. Lab defeated M Martin FF 6:3
Nominee 2: Jim Quinlan lab. Defeated M. Martin FF 6:3

Irish Public Health insurance group:
Paddy Whitty FG (unopposed)

Twinning committee: (2 nominees)
Nominee 1: Finbarr O’Driscoll Lab (unopposed)
Nominee 2: Sinead Sheppard FG (unopposed)

Cobh Museum Committee:
Paddy Whitty FG (unopposed)

Cobh Tourism: (3 nominees)
Nominee 1: Sinead Sheppard FG defeated M Martin FF 6:3
Nominee 2: Jim Quinlan Lab defeated M Martin FF 6:3
Nominee 3: Paddy Histon Ind. Defeated M Martin FF 6:3
(M Martin is the only town council member who works full time in the tourism industry)

Cobh Heritage Committee:
Paddy Whitty FG defeated M Martin FF 6:3
(M Martin runs Cobh’s only heritage walking tour)

Cork County Council strategic planning committee: (2 nominees)
Nominee 1: John Mulvihill Jnr. Defeated Michael Martin FF 6:3
Nominee 2: Sinead Sheppard FG defeated Michael Martin FF 6:3

Cork VEC:
Finbarr o’driscoll lab. Defeated M Martin FF 6:3

Titanic Memorial Committee: (3 nominees)
Nominee 1: Jim Quinlan Lab defeated M Martin FF 6:3
Nominee 2 Sinead Sheppard FG defeated Michael Martin FF 6:3
Nominee 3: Paddy Histon Ind. Defeated M martin FF 6:3
(M Martin is a titanic expert and is the creator of the Titanic trail)

Carrignafoy Leisure (shareholders representative)
Paddy Histon Ind defeated M Martin FF 6:3

Directors of Carrignafoy Leisure: (3 directors but only 2 filled today)
Director 1: Finbarr O’Driscoll lab defeated M Martin FF 6:3
Director 2: Paddy Whitty FG defeated M Martin FF 6:3
Director 3: Padraig Lynch remains in place but confusion arose over this position

Boundary Extension sub-committee: (3 nominees)
Nominee 1: Finbarr O’Driscoll Lab defeated Kieran mcCarthy SF 6:3
Nominee 2: Paddy Whitty Fg defeated Kieran McCarthy SF 6:3
Nominee 3: Paddy Histon Ind. Defeated Kieran mcCarthy SF 6:3

The motion that a meeting take place to discuss allowing others onto the board of Carrignafoy Leisure got unanimous approval although it did receive some criticism from the floor.

A motion tabled by Kieran McCarthy calling for the term of office of mayor to not be fixed at 12 months was defeated by surprisingly a 6:3 vote :)

The meeting finished up with a discussion about Cobh moving up in the dirty town rankings, but the most sensibile contributions to this debate came from those who said we still have a long road to go in making this a clean tidy town.

kerrynorth

I am surprised that the Council decides the members on Committees with a vote on each position. On Kerry CC if there are 2 positions the nominees are voted to fill 2 vacancies. So like in the situation where the FG/LAB pact has a 14/13 majority it still can only take 1 of the nominees. In a case of where there are 3 positions to fill then the majority block will take 2 and the opposition 1. But it is not any entire wipeout.

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
I am surprised that the Council decides the members on Committees with a vote on each position. On Kerry CC if there are 2 positions the nominees are voted to fill 2 vacancies. So like in the situation where the FG/LAB pact has a 14/13 majority it still can only take 1 of the nominees. In a case of where there are 3 positions to fill then the majority block will take 2 and the opposition 1. But it is not any entire wipeout.
to be honest I was thinking the same myself today and I would question if correct procedures were followed especially in the positions where 3 places were up for grabs with 3 votes in the minority group they should have been able to secure positions on those committees as a minimum and they would have had a fighting chance in the places where 2 positions were available.

He3

This thread is a follow on to our popular Cobh election thread as the people have now returned our new council for the next five years and this is a thread where we can comment on their progress etc.

Our new council is: (in oder of election)

Sean O'Connor Ind.
Jim Quinlan Lab.
Paddy Whitty Ind.
John Mulvihill Jnr. Lab.
Michael Martin FF
Kieran McCarthy SF
Sinead Sheppard FG
Paddy Whitty FG
Finbarr O'Driscoll Lab.

Are there really two Paddy Whittys?

Brezzyy

I really have to laugh at how obscene it all is.

Paddy Whitty I am not suprised with, he really does think hes popular you know.
If you dont have a camera at your function he wont turn up, maybe that could be some good advice:)... and if you are inviting him, he;ll send you a list of media he wants invited aswell.
I dont think he will have learned anything from his previous five years, and the vote he polled.

Paddy Histon, I am suprised he has associated himself so blaitantly with this pact, but maybe I shouldnt be, what Paddy 1 says Paddy 2 will do.

Jim Quinlan, I didnt think he would be a party line man.

Finbar O'Driscoll, quite vocall at the doors allegedly about how he would be telling Mull he would be partaking in no pacts. Obviously a load of lip service, not a good start.

Sinead Sheppard. I hope someone writes her good reports for these committee events she attends,...
and the same goes for the rest of them.
I have a feeling the other three will be holding the "Coalition of the Meek" accountable for there lofty positions and "abilities" they think they have, as is expected by the electorate.

Another five years of the same old shyte.

THE SINNER

I really have to laugh at how obscene it all is.

Paddy Whitty I am not suprised with, he really does think hes popular you know.
If you dont have a camera at your function he wont turn up, maybe that could be some good advice:)... and if you are inviting him, he;ll send you a list of media he wants invited aswell.
I dont think he will have learned anything from his previous five years, and the vote he polled.

Paddy Histon, I am suprised he has associated himself so blaitantly with this pact, but maybe I shouldnt be, what Paddy 1 says Paddy 2 will do.

Jim Quinlan, I didnt think he would be a party line man.

Finbar O'Driscoll, quite vocall at the doors allegedly about how he would be telling Mull he would be partaking in no pacts. Obviously a load of lip service, not a good start.

Sinead Sheppard. I hope someone writes her good reports for these committee events she attends,...
and the same goes for the rest of them.
I have a feeling the other three will be holding the "Coalition of the Meek" accountable for there lofty positions and "abilities" they think they have, as is expected by the electorate.

Another five years of the same old shyte.
Yes indeed...............What a disaster :(

The Red Rose of Cork

oh lads, i forgot, we had an election and guess what ? LAB/FG got five seats and FF one.

its called democracy and no better boys than FF to piss all over everyone else if they had a majority.

the people knew what they were voting for and they reelected the outgoing controlling majority

Brezzyy

oh lads, i forgot, we had an election and guess what ? LAB/FG got five seats and FF one.

its called democracy and no better boys than FF to piss all over everyone else if they had a majority.

the people knew what they were voting for and they reelected the outgoing controlling majority
Its an interesting statement you make Rose.
So instead of a FF majority "pissing all over everyone else" we get Labour "pissing all over everyone else" with there majority.
Thats a truely inspirational way to run Cobh Town Council, and no doubt we shall reap what they sow.

"Reelected the outgoing majority"
Are you implying that 11 counts and one hundred odd first preference votes followed by dribbles of transfers/surpluses is the the people of cobh expressing a positive vote for Labour? If it is, then Labour are more desperate than I had imagined.

You can try avoiding the truth Rose, but it stairs you in the face.
The people of Cobh did speak and they unanimously backed Seanie.
They have now been ignored and I am confident the "Coallition of the Meek" will be hearing about it.

kerrynorth

to be honest I was thinking the same myself today and I would question if correct procedures were followed especially in the positions where 3 places were up for grabs with 3 votes in the minority group they should have been able to secure positions on those committees as a minimum and they would have had a fighting chance in the places where 2 positions were available.
I should also have pointed out that this is how it happens on Tralee Town Council as well. If there are 4 nominations for 3 positions on some body then ballot papers are handed out and filled in by the members. Each member has 3 votes so 36 ballots are cast with 12 as the quota. There is an FG/LAB/IND pact with 7 of the 12 seats, or 21 of the 36 votes. If they split it 11 and 10 then the pact has 2 of the 3 positions as there are only 15 other ballots left which cannot elect 2. Although I should point out that this has not happened in recent Council's as the members know the numbers so just as the controlling pact knows who its 2 nominees are the non pact Cllrs get together and agree who gets what from whats left beforehand so there is rarely a vote.

Last edited:

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
interesting you say that rose as the fugures tell a different story:

FG/Lab polled 1,855 first preference votes.

FF/SF/Sean O'Connor who were excluded completely today from every position from mayor down polled 2,313 first preference votes.

when "independant" histon is added to the FG/Lab total that brings them to 2,297

so to sum up those who polled 2,297 first preference votes gained 6 seats and excluded the other 3 from everything.

Those that polled 2,313 first preference votes are left with nothing and gain just 3 seats.

Yes the people really got what they wanted with today's result, the people really wanted the wishes of the majority to be ignored (and that excludes those that voted green whos votes I hve not allocated) - FG/Lab/Ind. FG today have laughed in the faces of the Cobh electorate as these figures clearly show.

Podolski1.5

er.... Rose, Rebelman..... your parties, and Paddy Whitty's have no problem with their little pact in Cork City. Last night they vented their spleen at the audacity of opposing parties in even putting up their own candidates.

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
er.... Rose, Rebelman..... your parties, and Paddy Whitty's have no problem with their little pact in Cork City. Last night they vented their spleen at the audacity of opposing parties in even putting up their own candidates.
Fair point and personally I'm not happy with that either, I would much prefer Kerrynorth's method of voting thus sharing out positions. It those seem a shame that effective local representatives like Mick Barry (who I disagree with on many things) are completely shut out.

In the unlikely event I'm ever elected myself I will not engage in this type of "winner takes all behaviour" - and feel free to quote this post back to me if/when that time comes.

cobhlad

heard about last nights meeting. GUBU by all accounts.Histon has set out his stall now and should be punished at next election if he runs. Find it bizzare that Martin didnt get onto any of the tourism related committees instead we have a teacher, a dance instructor and a pensioner.What a joke, heard Red Rose and Daddy were laughing away all during the meeting like 2 little kids, god help cobh for the next 5 years is all i will say

Last edited:

Podolski1.5

Fair point and personally I'm not happy with that either, I would much prefer Kerrynorth's method of voting thus sharing out positions. It those seem a shame that effective local representatives like Mick Barry (who I disagree with on many things) are completely shut out.

In the unlikely event I'm ever elected myself I will not engage in this type of "winner takes all behaviour" - and feel free to quote this post back to me if/when that time comes.
Don't worrry, I will:rolleyes: I still have Noelie's promise from the 1991 local elections to oppose service charges. It's rolled up with other posters in my "keep until needed" drawer.

Murph

There is Paddy Whitty and then there is Mini-Me. Or Podge & Rodge rides again.

Paisley was the only one to silence the admiral, when he called him his little friend.

I think Breezy you could call them the Coalition of the Cheek, if we are to go by the report above.

jamesd

What took place is quite simple. Lab/FG/Histon throwing their two fingers up at the People of Cobh.

I now formally call on all the people of Cobh to stand up to these people and run them out. Lab/FG are so quick to damn anyone who stands in their way. But I would like to remind Cllr Mulvihill that he got in on the transfers of Cllr. O'Connor.

The people of Cobh elected 9 councillors, not just 6, and they way FG/LAB/Histon are acting is morally wrong.

The People of Cobh need to seize the opportunity now and run these dictators out of office. Give them no support at all.

This town will never ever become the shining jewel it should be if we are run by dictators. And for the two newest and youngest Councillors to become so power hungry is an insult to all genuine people of this town who gave them a chance.