• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Collusion, The truth about Eire's support for the IRA.

death or glory

There was an interesting article in the Newsletter on Friday covering a new book called "A broad Church", the Provisional IRA in the Republic of Ireland written by
"Gearóid Ó Faoleán who spent his Phd at the University of Limerick gathering evidence of active support for the Provisional IRA
from within all southern political parties, members of the Gardai, Irish Defence Forces, civil service, judiciary and GAA."

‘Dublin must now come clean on Republic of Ireland support for PIRA’

This may come as a surprise to the Southerners on here but any Ulster prod who survived the troubles knew this reality and could associate with it.

It's time you took some responsibility for your actions instead of always blaming someone else.

Emily Davison

death or glory

death or glory

Emily Davison

DorG it’s difficult to appraise the accuracy of the book from two articles. But I think we all know that there was support from the south. How widespread that was I’ve no idea. I don’t recall people being delighted about bank robberies. And it used to be amazing to see the army when the cash was being collected in the banks. When I first visited Sligo around the age of 18 I was amazed at the military presence. The North must have been a lot worse but most of us never saw that we lived in one telly land.

Emily Davison

The whataboutyouery is strong in this one.
Glad to see you didn't attempt to refute it but just deflect.
I wasn’t doing anything other then posting an interesting article from an expert on the north that I’d read this morning. I can’t comment on this book because I’ve not read the book, I’ve never heard of the author and more importantly I’m no expert on the subject matter.

So let me try this. What’s your opinion?

death or glory

DorG it’s difficult to appraise the accuracy of the book from two articles. But I think we all know that there was support from the south. How widespread that was I’ve no idea. I don’t recall people being delighted about bank robberies. And it used to be amazing to see the army when the cash was being collected in the banks. When I first visited Sligo around the age of 18 I was amazed at the military presence. The North must have been a lot worse but most of us never saw that we lived in one telly land.
But living in the South at the time.
You are bound to understand that their was unprecedented support for the IRA and this support manifested itself as fundraising for the RA, an training, gathering bombs and guns to support the evil sectarian terrorist campaign that was being waged in Ulster, all because of the illogical Utopian dream of a United Ireland.

death or glory

I wasn’t doing anything other then posting an interesting article from an expert on the north that I’d read this morning. I can’t comment on this book because I’ve not read the book, I’ve never heard of the author and more importantly I’m no expert on the subject matter.

So let me try this. What’s your opinion?
I agree with these articles. It was common knowledge that the real support for the RA came from the south and the RA and its members used it as a safe haven.
It is the pretense that the south had nothing to do with the troubles when the truth was that without its support the terrorist campaign wouldn't have been as effective at murdering and maiming people.

Talk Back

There was an interesting article in the Newsletter on Friday covering a new book called "A broad Church", the Provisional IRA in the Republic of Ireland written by
"Gearóid Ó Faoleán who spent his Phd at the University of Limerick gathering evidence of active support for the Provisional IRA
from within all southern political parties, members of the Gardai, Irish Defence Forces, civil service, judiciary and GAA."

This may come as a surprise to the Southerners on here but any Ulster prod who survived the troubles knew this reality and could associate with it.

It's time you took some responsibility for your actions instead of always blaming someone else.
No - Unionists are the cause of all the trouble in Ireland - Ireland would be at peace and at one but for Unionists.

Let's put the blame where the blame belongs - there would be no IRA but for England's occupation of our country, and the planting of you foreigners on our land that you stole.

fifilawe

this obsession with Republicans/Extreme Nationalists /Catholic Adherents etc is destroying your rational sensible thinking.You must see someone of your own faith with a less "Calculating Mind" and help you get all "muck, corrupted , brainwashed ,poison out of your mind."The people in the Republic are mostly "Nominal Catholics" only and we have a more enlightened, take it or leave attitude to the Church.I am not losing sleep, precious time God gives me on the earth to worry about or look my nose down on my fellow countrymen and women who are CoI,Jehovah Witnesses,Methodists,Presbyterians etc.To me we are all equals and mind our own business and "live and Let live".I don't care if people do any sort of practices just as long as it does not cause offence, injury, stir up hatred.Have you openly stood and admitted before your nearest and dearest your innermost thoughts about "your enemies"(Irish Catholics )".?
Listen to the response you get , and go and see a headshrink and unburden all that crap from your mind.It will destroy you , inch by inch, day by day and the last days of your life might be the time you may be "enlightened".In my mid 50s now , so I have a general picture of what life is about and a contented mind is a very precious gift/thing to have.

Volatire

The Garda
I agree with these articles. It was common knowledge that the real support for the RA came from the south and the RA and its members used it as a safe haven.
It is the pretense that the south had nothing to do with the troubles when the truth was that without its support the terrorist campaign wouldn't have been as effective at murdering and maiming people.
There is no doubt truth in what you say is true. The IRA has their collaborators in the South, including Gardai.

However there were many more brave people here who fought IRA psychopathy at great personal risk to themselves. I have met some of these unsung heroes.

The IRA could not have been beaten without RoI's security services. They won't hold their breath waiting for a "thankyou" from NI unionists.

That I can tell you.

Estragon

There was an interesting article in the Newsletter...
The pamphlet for the reader who thinks that thon fella in Bongo Bongo land going to stone the gays could be on to something.

Estragon

The Garda

There is no doubt truth in what you say is true. The IRA has their collaborators in the South, including Gardai.

However there were many more brave people here who fought IRA psychopathy at great personal risk to themselves. I have met some of these unsung heroes.

The IRA could not have been beaten without RoI's security services. They won't hold their breath waiting for a "thankyou" from NI unionists.

That I can tell you.
True, the 26 county Uncle Toms by far dwarfed those lending any real support to the beleaguered nationalist population in the north.

Talk Back

The Garda

The IRA could not have been beaten without RoI's security services.
You are a very confused Unionist.

The IRA won that phase of Ireland's War of Independence 20 years ago.

The IRA forced the enemy invader and occupier to the table and sue for peace.

The IRA destroyed the sectarian Orange cesspit in the occupied 6 counties of Ireland - Unionists can't march to the toilet these days without asking permission from former members of the IRA.

What do you Unionists think the GFA is for - other than the reunification of the Irish people, our country, and ending England's occupation in Ireland through peaceful means.

Talk Back

But living in the South at the time.
You are bound to understand that their was unprecedented support for the IRA and this support manifested itself as fundraising for the RA, an training, gathering bombs and guns to support the evil sectarian terrorist campaign that was being waged in Ulster, all because of the illogical Utopian dream of a United Ireland.
You say that as if you are surprised that patriotic Irish people supported the real Irish army fight to free Ireland from a foreign invader and occupier.

Last edited:

Ireniall

Good old curried yoghurt Gregory Crookedmouth(perhaps the translation is the root of his preference for the English language) and Ruth Dudley Edwards-finally too much even for the Sindo. They're pressing all of the right buttons with those two. One hates the Irish language because-eh well it's Irish so it must be wrong or weaponised or something-the other 'loves' both Britain and Ireland equally and has naturally, having to fight her every Irish instinct no doubt, concluded that the British side are right about everything while those incorrigible Irish -sure they're just peasants and you've got to love them-well they're just completely wrong.

Anyway leaving that aside your remark about Ulster Prods having 'survived' the troubles cant go unchallenged either because the number of Catholic victims was far more. If you want to have a proper discussion about the levels of culpability of each side it would be better if you showed some indication that you're not just trying to score little mini-points in the great never-ending sectarian debate.

Pyewacket

this obsession with Republicans/Extreme Nationalists /Catholic Adherents etc is destroying your rational sensible thinking.You must see someone of your own faith with a less "Calculating Mind" and help you get all "muck, corrupted , brainwashed ,poison out of your mind."The people in the Republic are mostly "Nominal Catholics" only and we have a more enlightened, take it or leave attitude to the Church.I am not losing sleep, precious time God gives me on the earth to worry about or look my nose down on my fellow countrymen and women who are CoI,Jehovah Witnesses,Methodists,Presbyterians etc.To me we are all equals and mind our own business and "live and Let live".I don't care if people do any sort of practices just as long as it does not cause offence, injury, stir up hatred.Have you openly stood and admitted before your nearest and dearest your innermost thoughts about "your enemies"(Irish Catholics )".?
Listen to the response you get , and go and see a headshrink and unburden all that crap from your mind.It will destroy you , inch by inch, day by day and the last days of your life might be the time you may be "enlightened".In my mid 50s now , so I have a general picture of what life is about and a contented mind is a very precious gift/thing to have.
Maybe you don't realise that some people must believe that others are focused on them in order to feel important. It doesn't matter if they imagine those other people admire them or hate them, they need to believe they are the subject of their thoughts. It's a kind of narcissism. The biggest shock they could get is not to hear "We despise you" but "You barely ever cross our minds." :)

parentheses

The troubles happened because militant Protestants reacted against the timid reform efforts of Terence O'Neill.

O'Neill himself stated that he was "blown out of office", by the UVF bombs. Once O'Neill was out of office the stage was set for northern Ireland to descend into strife.

Volatire

The troubles happened because militant Protestants reacted against the timid reform efforts of Terence O'Neill.

O'Neill himself stated that he was "blown out of office", by the UVF bombs. Once O'Neill was out of office the stage was set for northern Ireland to descend into strife.
My grandfather claimed that RoI's extremist, goose-stepping, militaristic, bigoted, jingoist, xenophobic 1966 Easter rising commemoration lead to the troubles by appearing to endorse violence.

My guess is that he is right.

NI had many problems, but we incited murderous violence from both sides.

Talk Back

The foreigners began ratcheting up the violence when the facts of the 1961 census became known. The "guaranteed" 70/30 had gone, it was edging toward 60/40 and the Unionists went into melt down.

The UVF used to carry out bombings and claimed the I.R.A. did them. They then decided to kill Catholics as a matter of policy, resulting in near pogrom levels - and all of this was before the I.R.A. came back into existence.

Unionists are a minority in the occupied 6 counties of Ireland these days - only 800 thousand or so of them under our feet now - and they will be the voting minority in the next three years.

Unionism in Ireland is finished.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies