• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Colm Keaveney declared Bankrupt in The High Court

General Urko

Colm Keaveney on foot of a personal application was declared bankrupt in The High Court -

You may remeber that Mr. Keaveney holds 2 other distinctions that practically none of us would want -

Former Fianna Fail TD Colm Keaveney declared bankrupt in the High Court - Irish Mirror Online

He was the only Eff Eff TD to lose his seat during Meehole Martin's all conquering campaign in GE 2016!

He is the only individual to be a member of 2 different Troika Parties in Dáil Eireann!

[video=youtube;pga-iJqKD1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pga-iJqKD1Y[/video]

[video=youtube;1p83Ko9Z-xk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p83Ko9Z-xk[/video]

AFAIK unlike in the past alá Beverley Flynn's case, a bankruptcy declaration no longer excludes you from being a TD.

So this gentleman may be back yet!:roll:

james toney

I am no fan of him, or Fianna Fail.....yet this is surely very serious that a TD has had to go into bankruptcy on foot of a threat of legal action from Denis O'Brien..no?
The comments were made under parliamentary privilege.
What has Fianna Fail said about it..are they giving him any support?

Colm Keaveney seeks protection in bankruptcy

Orbit v2

I am no fan of him, or Fianna Fail.....yet this is surely very serious that a TD has had to go into bankruptcy on foot of a threat of legal action from Denis O'Brien..no?

especially for a speech that was (to be) given to the Dail, and which would be immune from prosecution. Denis O'Brien's influence over this country is becoming pernicious and Orwellian.

james toney

especially for a speech that was (to be) given to the Dail, and which would be immune from prosecution. Denis O'Brien's influence over this country is becoming pernicious and Orwellian.
Fully agree....yet the lack of support he is getting is also troubling....All TD's should be speaking out against this.
But we know that won't happen because of..as you say 'Denis O'Brien's influence'

Bleu Poppy

Surely bankruptcy is when you have no assets to meet your liabilities?

How can one put assets out of reach of a potential creditor through the bankruptcy process?

By the by, he is not a T.D.

james toney

Surely bankruptcy is when you have no assets to meet your liabilities?

How can one put assets out of reach of a potential creditor through the bankruptcy process?

By the by, he is not a T.D.
The information is in the link regarding the former TD.

gerhard dengler

This stinks.
I'm no fan of Keaveney or the political parties that he was a member of.

But the bigger issue here is this case between O'Brien and Red Flag.
If the allegation is true that Red Flag published a speech by Keaveney given under Dail privilege, how can that be prosecutable?

Orbit v2

This stinks.
I'm no fan of Keaveney or the political parties that he was a member of.

But the bigger issue here is this case between O'Brien and Red Flag.
If the allegation is true that Red Flag published a speech by Keaveney given under Dail privilege, how can that be prosecutable?
Possibly because the speech was (alleged to have been) given to Red Flag before it was made in the Dail. Whether that makes it actionable is another question, but even the possibility of that is enough to make threats against people, and contributes to the general "chilled" atmosphere surrounding O'Brien. On the bankruptcy itself, there may be other aspects to it, than what was reported.

Polybius

Unless Denis says he's against gay marriage or that he doesn't believe gender fluidity is a real thing, then the D4 media will never criticise him.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The bankruptcy application may not be related to the O'Brien issue at all, of course, and might simply be a bankruptcy due to other issues. We shouldn't jump to conclusions.

It would possibly be defamatory to assume that Keaveney is declaring bankruptcy under a false premise as a defence against any O'Brien action.

If he weren't actually bankrupt then the implication would be that he is making a false declaration to creditors via the High Court so care should be taken here I think.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Fully agree....yet the lack of support he is getting is also troubling....All TD's should be speaking out against this.
But we know that won't happen because of..as you say 'Denis O'Brien's influence'
And Keaveney has not made himself popular with anyone in Dáil Éireann.

But yes, he should indeed be receiving more public support on this issue.

eoghanacht

Three cheers for FG's new politics.

eoghanacht

Shatter, Kenny, O'Brien, Lowry, FG are becoming as blasé about democracy as ZanuFF were.

blokesbloke

Unless Denis says he's against gay marriage or that he doesn't believe gender fluidity is a real thing, then the D4 media will never criticise him.
Are you capable of posting on a thread without mentioning gay marriage or gender fluidity? This thread has nothing to do with either but you manage to find a way to shoehorn in a mention anyway.

You are utterly obsessed with all things LGBT. Either come out or get help.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Are you capable of posting on a thread without mentioning gay marriage or gender fluidity? This thread has nothing to do with either but you manage to find a way to shoehorn in a mention anyway.

I'm thinking about starting a thread on the life cycle of the earthworm just to see if Polybius will take the bait.

Ssshhhhh! Don't let on!

eoghanacht

I'm thinking about starting a thread on the life cycle of the earthworm just to see if Polybius will take the bait.

Ssshhhhh! Don't let on!

Remember when it posted under the username honecker, it had to abandon that after all the silly stuff it came out with.

My fav was the pronouncement that if the SSM ref was passed that straight men would, over night, become gay's.

Now that suggests to me that honecker is most definitely harbouring homosexual tendencies and assumes that a lot of other men do so also.

You see he doesn't believe a biological or psychological change needs to happen, just that men in the closet, to borrow an Americanism, will abandon their self deceit and proclaim they're repressed homosexuality to the detriment of society.

He needs a night in the George with a yoke slipped in to his drink.

meriwether

Can someone with a legal background outline why exactly one would seek bankruptcy when the libel loss event has not even happened yet?

What sort of creditor would that be categorised as when applying for bankruptcy from your creditors?

Why would he simply not transfer his home, as mentioned in that Irish times article, to his wife now, putting it out of the hands of future creditors?

The rumours I have heard is that this is linked to something entirely unrelated to the litigation.
I've had a look at his declaration of interests in the Dail, and it's blank.
Ergo, the rumour doesn't tie, so I'm not going to state it here.

Florence

I find it very hard to believe that he could be genuinely bankrupt given that until recently he had a TDs salary and unvouched 'turning up' money and other expenses. Also as meriweather says above - nothing in declaration of interests to go through causing financial problems.

I understand that a bankrupcy can be challenged if it was to avoid paying creditors rather than to deal with genuine financial problems. Denis O'Brien has also threatened Catherine Murphy TD but she has not gone this route.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies