• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Colm Ó Mongain / This Week. There is a very good point.

Boy M5

This fella, who is still young judging by the cut of him on News Now (like Morning Ireland, This Week is simulcasted on News Now) is presenter and editor of This Week. It must be the best news and current affairs programme on Irish media and as editor Colm Ó Mongain plays a significant role in this (its a team effort I know, usually his on air co host is Fran McNulty & there are others behind the scenes).
The presenters do question guests appropriately and critically the presenters are on top of their game and well briefed. Also there are interesting segments - today about protest songs. Every segment is of sufficient depth and looks at the issues holistically. Very little bounded rationality on This Week.

In short, to my mind," This Week" is the antidote to seemingly less well researched radio programmes, with apparently facile presenters, or the equally facile "reporting" that goes on in the 2 Irish broadsheet format Sunday papers (after last week's SBP TCH won't be getting my money any more on a Sunday).

Boy M5

are u the mammy or the daddy ?????????????
Neither, though perhaps the play on words Bo(u)y might help you discern the gender issue....

We are a cynical bunch on here, except the Bots, and I just think its healthy to be positive (though my op contains enough barbs), Ó Mongain and his colleagues deserve kudos and we deserve a public service broadcaster that is as consistently good as the This Week team.

borntorum

They had a good piece today on the 1983 abortion referendum, featuring Garrett flip-flopping all over the place

Boy M5

Welcome to p.ie Colm. :p
Very good. He's far better than me anyway.
No relation, no friend, I know nothing about him. Other than he produces a very fine programme

an innocent abroad

I really like his interviewing style annd the fact he does not allow politicans waffle over a difficult question, and drags them back to the point.... politicans are great at using up airtime while saying nothing. Huge fan.

Boy M5

I like watching it on News Now.

Martin gulped down water before interview, he was in studio for 8 minutes as the taped package ran. Ó'Mongain and Crowley ignored him just continued working away.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
They had a good piece today on the 1983 abortion referendum, featuring Garrett flip-flopping all over the place
How did he hold in the laughter?

Whenever one thinks of Garrett, that has to be right up there in his list of bloops and blunders. A clown.

borntorum

How did he hold in the laughter?

Whenever one thinks of Garrett, that has to be right up there in his list of bloops and blunders. A clown.
Ah, but that was all FF and Haughey's fault too, you know. They made Garrett make a fool of himself.

turdsl

Excellent journalist who always has the groundwork well done,Great to see someone of
such high ability get his chance,

constitutionus

I expect him to get a bollocking after todays interviews but it was fantastic radio. Mehole near cried at one point :D

Boy M5

I expect him to get a bollocking after todays interviews but it was fantastic radio. Mehole near cried at one point :D
That's his standard MO, FF handlers knew what they were getting into.
Adams, Kenny and Gimmeemore given same fair but tough interviews.

Lonewolfe

He did well today and he exposed MM (not the hardest task) but he never asked why FF, now oh so concerned about abortion legislation that is needed to "give clarity", desperately avoided the issue for 14 years in government.

He also never challenged him on the old faces that turned up at the Ard Fheis despite MM's waffle about new blood.

The show is decent enough but it plays second fiddle to Marian in terms of its guests and its time slot.

Boy M5

He did well today and he exposed MM (not the hardest task) but he never asked why FF, now oh so concerned about abortion legislation that is needed to "give clarity", desperately avoided the issue for 14 years in government.

He also never challenged him on the old faces that turned up at the Ard Fheis despite MM's waffle about new blood.

The show is decent enough but it plays second fiddle to Marian in terms of its guests and its time slot.
That's the point. Its a far better programme (range and depth) with far better presenters (sharp interviewers on top of their brief, who don't have the same guests) than Finucane's programme.

Boy M5

Nearly Ó'Mongáin O'Clock.