• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Colm O'Gorman to take helm at Amnesty Ireland

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Exclusive

Amnesty International's Irish Division will later today announce that they have appointed Colm O'Gorman as their new Executive Director.

Colm O'Gorman has himself this morning to me confirmed that he has accepted the appointment.

He will take up the role in early 2008.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I would assume that this ends COGs political aspirations. Heading a group of malcontents like Amnesty would be a clear conflict of interests with a party like the PDs.

Richie Nixon

I think there are rules governing NGO work, and political affiliations. I think you cant be involved in an NGO and politically active. In this case :(

Richie Nixon said:
I think there are rules governing NGO work, and political affiliations. I think you cant be involved in an NGO and politically active. In this case :(
The PDs had their chance to make him a senator, but they decided against, and now they have lost their only potential asset.

fergalr

Good man, Colm. It's a fine organisation.

Fr. Hank Tree

independentobserver said:
Richie Nixon said:
The PDs had their chance to make him a senator, but they decided against, and now they have lost their only potential asset.
Indeed, he is a great media man and could have tapped into a social liberal niche vote in the country, had he been made leader.

The pds really should just close shop. As Jim Morrison would say: "the time to hesitate is through, no time to wallow in the mire..."

Stop wallowing in the mire Pds!! :x

Congratualtions to COG with his new job BTW.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Well done Colm.. looks like I'll be supporting you in my own small way now every year at the Cashel Amnesty Table Quiz

Though politically it makes things look even more ominous for the PD's

fergalr

rockofcashel said:
We're going to join the circus. En masse.

Fr. Hank Tree said:
independentobserver said:
[quote="Richie Nixon":1tpe9mxm]I think there are rules governing NGO work, and political affiliations. I think you cant be involved in an NGO and politically active. In this case :(
Indeed, he is a great media man and could have tapped into a social liberal niche vote in the country, had he been made leader.

The pds really should just close shop. As Jim Morrison would say: "the time to hesitate is through, no time to wallow in the mire..."

Stop wallowing in the mire Pds!! :x

Congratualtions to COG with his new job BTW.[/quote:1tpe9mxm]

Not that I regret the demise of the PDs or anything. Amnesty is certainly more worthwhile than the PDs. He'll be able to tackle the catholic church again, something I'll be supporting him in.
Yes, congratulations to him.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
rockofcashel said:
Well done Colm.. looks like I'll be supporting you in my own small way now every year at the Cashel Amnesty Table Quiz

I think the PDs wrote-off CoG when they did not re-appoint him to the senate. Based on today's news, that was a good call. To be honest I think COG is far better as a spokeman on specific issues than on the totality of the issues of modern politics. One can only hope that he can contribute some common sense to Amnesty and distance it from the anti-everything mob.

Trampas

fergalr said:
Good man, Colm. It's a fine organisation.
Remember the weasel words in those lavishly funded newspaper ads of a few years ago ? "Some say they are involved in racism". The reference was to 3 serving members of the cabinet. Am-nasty would be more like it. What an outfit.

hiker

Well done, Colm O'Gorman. Thats a great job to get.

A loss for the Progressive Democrats but to be honest there is a bit of a backhanded compliment to the party that one of our own was appointed.

We bask in the reflected glory. :cool: :D

DOD

As a former member of amnesty (well technically I'm still a member but haven't paid fees in 5 years) , I would have suspicions of a PD being in such a role. Just being honest here.

Apparatchik

David Cochrane said:
ExclusiveColm O'Gorman has himself this morning to me confirmed that he has accepted the appointment.
No response here as yet from Col O'Gorman's alter ego (Future Taoiseach)?

Fr. Hank Tree

DOD said:
As a former member of amnesty (well technically I'm still a member but haven't paid fees in 5 years) , I would have suspicions of a PD being in such a role. Just being honest here.
TBH (and i'm open to correction here) i think COG was always a Labourite at heart. I was always under the impression that he chose to go with the PDs for practical reasons.