• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Colombia 3 back in Ireland

ireland2004

Peter Robinson:

"We are looking for their immediate arrest and for the Republic to hand them over to the Colombian authorities,” he said.

“Mr Ahern must facilitate by whatever means necessary their swift extradition, even if that means new legislation.

“If he does not, unionists in Northern Ireland will believe him to be complicit.

“These men are on-the-run terrorists, convicted of terrorism in a Colombian court.

“They are in the Republic of Ireland and given that there is supposed to be a global battle against terrorism, Bertie Ahern knows what he has to do.”
Michael McGimpsy:

“It is surely no coincidence that the Colombia Three have arrived home after the events of the last fortnight emanating from the IRA statement,” the south Belfast MLA said.

“The Irish Government are unlikely to send them back as this move is likely to be part of the latest concession choreography to republicans.

“The Colombia Three are probably the first ’on the run’ to be given a pardon. Once again, despicable political expediency is replacing common sense and due process.”

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Do they have nice tans? Did they bring back any pressies? Most importantly, how good WAS the birdwatching in South America?
I expect to hear the DUP (and probably McDowell) bluster about this, but the Mullah does presumably realise that he'd be the one exiled if he tries to extradite these three.

lapereduchesne

why did they need to publically announce they were back in ireland?

the irish state should honour the interpol warrants for their arrest.

Bogwarrior

As long as they remain "on message" vis a vis the peace process, they'll be fine. If not they'll get 5 years for membership based on the false passports, and a Garda's word.

Rocky

Hopefully we'll send them back. These men should not get off when it is fairly clear that they trained Guerillas in a country that has enough problems as it is.

Rocky said:
Hopefully we'll send them back. These men should not get off when it is fairly clear that they trained Guerillas in a country that has enough problems as it is.
What is fairly clear is that they did not enjoy "due legal process". I can see an attempt by McDowell to extradite them, bringing down the Government.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
UnrepentantFenian said:
I can see an attempt by McDowell to extradite them, bringing down the Government.
Unless you have just been indulging in substances that finance FARC's reign of terror in Colombia, such a statement shows a worrying disattachment to reality.

I hope that whatever decision is made on this is a legal one by the courts and not by politicians, and that those who abuse Irish diplomatic protection are punished accordingly.

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
Since these men were convicted on appeal, following an acquittal (a process that cannot take place under Irish law), could they even be extradited from Ireland?

jjcarroll said:
UnrepentantFenian said:
I can see an attempt by McDowell to extradite them, bringing down the Government.
Unless you have just been indulging in substances that finance FARC's reign of terror in Colombia, such a statement shows a worrying disattachment to reality.
Thanks for your concern, but Peruvian Marching Powder is not my drug of choice. I think it is you who are disattached from reality in believing that FF would let these mens' predicament derail the newly invigorated peace process. Even they are not that stupid.

Gerrry

Website
www.sligowhiplash.com
Rocky said:
Considerign the fact that no credible evidence whatsoever was shown to even suggest they were involved in training guerillas during their trial I assume you have unearthed new evidence that you will now put in front of us to back up this claim of yours.

BTW Does anyone seriously believe that a massive guerilla army such as FARC needed to be trained by three irishmen? However, thats getting away from the current topic.

They shouldnt, or indeed no-one else should be sent to face 'Colombian 'Justice' regardless of what charges are against people. It has one of the worst human rights records in the americas and throughout the world. The overturning of the innocent verdict in private because they didnt like it just shows one example of how unjust the Colombian justice system is.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies