Colombians vote NO to Peace Process.

Truth.ie

After around 2 years of protracted peace talks and international mediation, the Colombian Govt and the FARC movment finally came to agreement recently.
With little international fanfare, FARC called an end to their almost 50 year armed campaign a week ago.
Around 200'000 deaths.
It was all part of an intricate choreography.
FARC was to destroy its weapons (arms were to be smelted and made into artwork) and the Govt was to release FARC prisoners.
Then FARC was to become a political party and contest elections.
All was going swimmingly, and the people were to endorse the agreement in a "Happy ever after....." finale.
But, on Sunday...just like Brexit, the People threw a spanner in the works and voted NO.

Seems the idea of FARC in Parliament and amnesty for FARC members was too much to swallow.
God knows what will happen next.
The ELN and other groups are not part of the peace process and are still fighting on. FARC is by far the biggest and have found themselves outmanouvered. Not by the State but by the people themselves.
Colombians themselves are surprised by the vote. Even NO voters I'm sure.

Brera

I was quite surprised by the result, although I hadn't been following it too closely after the deal was announced. I assumed the referendum would pass.

As you said I guess the idea of having FARC in parliament was a step too far, considering they were also getting an amnesty for their past crimes, which have been so brutal.

I can't see FARC going back to its old ways now. My guess is there will be some sort of renegotiation, but that will be tricky.

Hopefully they can come up with some sort of solution, that will eventually include the ELN.

The analysis of the result will be interesting and obviously steer the governments next move.

Truth.ie

I was quite surprised by the result, although I hadn't been following it too closely after the deal was announced. I assumed the referendum would pass.

As you said I guess the idea of having FARC in parliament was a step too far, considering they were also getting an amnesty for their past crimes, which have been so brutal.

I can't see FARC going back to its old ways now. My guess is there will be some sort of renegotiation, but that will be tricky.

Hopefully they can come up with some sort of solution, that will eventually include the ELN.

The analysis of the result will be interesting and obviously steer the governments next move.
It could cost the Govt the next general election.

Ex celt

Imagine an electorate standing up to a shoddy deal done with terrorists.Democracy is amazing.Better than birdwatching.

GDPR

After around 2 years of protracted peace talks and international mediation, the Colombian Govt and the FARC movment finally came to agreement recently.
With little international fanfare, FARC called an end to their almost 50 year armed campaign a week ago.
Around 200'000 deaths.
It was all part of an intricate choreography.
FARC was to destroy its weapons (arms were to be smelted and made into artwork) and the Govt was to release FARC prisoners.
Then FARC was to become a political party and contest elections.
All was going swimmingly, and the people were to endorse the agreement in a "Happy ever after....." finale.
But, on Sunday...just like Brexit, the People threw a spanner in the works and voted NO.

Seems the idea of FARC in Parliament and amnesty for FARC members was too much to swallow.
God knows what will happen next.
The ELN and other groups are not part of the peace process and are still fighting on. FARC is by far the biggest and have found themselves outmanouvered. Not by the State but by the people themselves.
Colombians themselves are surprised by the vote. Even NO voters I'm sure.
It was a pretty good deal for the Colombian régime. It didn't have to admit to any of the tens of thousands of murders, rapes and kidnappings it carried out. It wasn't a bad deal for FARC either. We shouldn't compare it with the GFA, as Colombia is not under foreign occupation. This was a deal between Colombians themselves. I've no doubt they will tinker around the edges of this deal and it will pass next time.

eoghanacht

I blame Jeremy Corbyn!

Spanner Island

200,000 deaths is a lot...

NI had about 3,000 and the acrimony is still alive and kicking...

The Colombian result is not ideal but it is understandable... just as Syria will probably never be a united country again either due to the huge numbers of casualties and the inevitable acrimony that will probably last forever at this stage... Iraq probably similar... Libya too etc.

mossyman

If anyone is interested in understanding Colombia better I would highly recommend Gabriel Garcia Marquez's book 'News of a Kidnapping'. Fascinating read.

Last edited:

statsman

Another country learning from the Irish experience?

statsman

If anyone is interesting in understanding Colombia better I would highly recommend Gabriel Garcia Marquez's book 'News of a Kidnapping'. Fascinating read.
A great book.

BACKTOBASICS

One of the creepiest and cringe inducing things that ever happened in Northern Irish history was when during the Peace Process John Hume and David Trimble appeared on stage with Bono and he lifted both their hands up; what the hell was that about?
Love him or hate him, Gerry Adams should have been in there instead of that ********. He took a risk with the peace process and his life was on the line. Many I'm sure will disagree, but he should also have been included in the Nobel Peace award which was given only to Trimble and Hume, and Trimble was wishy washy on the whole peace agreement. Hume and Adams did the most to bring about the peace agreement. The peace could not have been achieved without Adam's input, plain and simple.

GDPR

One of the creepiest and cringe inducing things that ever happened in Northern Irish history was when during the Peace Process John Hume and David Trimble appeared on stage with Bono and he lifted both their hands up; what the hell was that about?
Okay even if you dont learn something new everyday you learn something new every week, I have discovered what it was about; he was aping what Bob Marley did in 1978 at a "Peace Concert" to get rival semi-political Jamacian gangs to stop fighting with the Prime Minister Michael Manley and the head of the opposition. What a pompous silly spanner Bono is.

Last edited:

RasherHash

Bono was sposored by Sure antiperspirant :)

Ex celt

Love him or hate him, Gerry Adams should have been in there instead of that ********. He took a risk with the peace process and his life was on the line. Many I'm sure will disagree, but he should also have been included in the Nobel Peace award which was given only to Trimble and Hume, and Trimble was wishy washy on the whole peace agreement. Hume and Adams did the most to bring about the peace agreement. The peace could not have been achieved without Adam's input, plain and simple.
The best bit about GA was the bit when he persuaded himself to stop the sf/ira campaign of terror in exchange for moolah. An expert piece of diplomacy.

GDPR

At the time before he started "tweeting" about rubber ducks and stuffed bunny rabbits Gerry Adams, love him or hate, cut a very impressive dignified figure; in my opinion both Hume and Trimble were degraded by allowing themselves to get roped into Bono's ridiculous self serving stunt. Adams I would say missed a bullet by not being invited. In regards to Trimble I of the opinion that the conspiracy theory that he was black mailed into going along with the Process by doves in the UK Deep State is most probably correct.

Ramon Mercadar

Eamon Gilmore on RTE news now about vote.

Hes agreed to ask OIRA to decommission their arms to help the process.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies