• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Colorado, Washington pass marijuana legalization; Oregon says no

mr_anderson

Colorado passes marijuana legalization, but there's a catch
Colorado voters have approved a referendum that supports the legalization of marijuana on a recreational basis.

Amendment 64 in Colorado will amend the state constitution to legalize and regulate the production, possession, and distribution of marijuana for persons age 21 and older.
"The voters have spoken and we have to respect their will," Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper said in a written statement released by his office. "This will be a complicated process, but we intend to follow through. That said, federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug so don't break out the Cheetos or gold fish too quickly."
Similar provisions on marijuana use were also on the ballot in Oregon and Washington.

Washington voters say yes to recreational use of marijuana

Washington State voters on Tuesday cast their ballots in support of an unorthodox way of raising tax revenue: marijuana legalization. The measure, Initiative 502, will legalize and regulate the production, possession and distribution of cannabis for persons age 21 and older.
The Washington referendum called for a 25% tax rate imposed on the product three times: when the grower sells it to the processor, when the processor sells it to the retailer, and when the retailer sells it to the customer. It's not clear exactly how much tax revenue legalization would bring in. Estimates for the Washington measure run as high as $500 million - a figure analysts say is overstated.
Colorado, Washington pass marijuana legalization; Oregon says no – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Interesting vote because it was focused on recreational use and not medicinal.

Does anyone know, if the state legalises marijuana, can the prohibition still be enforced on the federal level ?

Little doubt in my mind that we will see the legalisation rolling out across America.

Ceastwood

Twitter
https://twitter.com/CaoimhinE
Yeah it's still illegally federally-and recreational use only extends to an ounce of marijuana at any one time. Theyre determined no quasi-Amsterdam rules go into effect, but its a measure thats long overdue in my opinion

slippy wicket

Well all I will say on it is that it will make the discovery channel programme 'American guns' a bit more 'interesting'.

stopdoingstuff

It is part of a growing trend of states refusing to implement unpopular and unconstitutional federal laws. It's about time too. The Federal government was never meant to control every aspect of life in the States- the enumerated powers of the federal government are few.

stopdoingstuff

Surprising - I thought it was in with a good chance, given California being bankrupt and it costing so much more to kill a prisoner than keep him alive...
Yeah, but it is still early days. When I checked, there were about 25% of the boxes opened, so maybe they have not gotten to the hippy boxes yet. The GM-labelling one was amusing- the food industry spent 45 million on getting their point across. We can't assume the California are rational voters though and would consider costs v benefits when it comes to the death penalty- it's always been more of an emotional issue than a rational one.

realistic1

Colorado, Washington pass marijuana legalization; Oregon says no – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Interesting vote because it was focused on recreational use and not medicinal.

Does anyone know, if the state legalises marijuana, can the prohibition still be enforced on the federal level ?

Little doubt in my mind that we will see the legalisation rolling out across America.
Is this the start of world wide legalisation? No doubt we may have some FF TD jumping on the bandwagon and steal Mings argument.

Crazy horse 6

Forward thinking indeed. Hopefully the rest of the US and the world falls into line.

B

Boggle

Is this the start of world wide legalisation? No doubt we may have some FF TD jumping on the bandwagon and steal Mings argument.
I would imagine it is and about time too. There will be many more states that pass it when they see that nothing bad happens and there should be a good tourism boost.

We should look into it sooner rather than later and market ourselves as the emerald isle... we'd clean up tourism wise and we'd provide a safe social alternative to those with a history of alcohol abuse in their family and those with alcohol problems (the pub is not a place for sober people and there isn't really anything else other than bingo that I can think of).

Franzoni

Apart from the highs from the hemp plant ..i recently watched a documentry where the amount of product that can be made from hemp was atonishing.....i knew part of the reason of it's original banning was due in no small part to the efforts of Hearst and his ownership of forests for his paper empire...but i never knew that fuel could be made for it that runs cleaner that oil and is less damaging to engines....

B

Boggle

Apart from the highs from the hemp plant ..i recently watched a documentry where the amount of product that can be made from hemp was atonishing.....i knew part of the reason of it's original banning was due in no small part to the efforts of Hearst and his ownership of forests for his paper empire...but i never knew that fuel could be made for it that runs cleaner that oil and is less damaging to engines....
A version of the lotus elise uses hemp, I believe, to make the carbon fibre body. It was on a thread here ages ago and looked cool... anotehr example of it's use was as a building material and it looked very interesting.
I actually bought some hemp oil as it was recommended as a natural toxin flush. Haven't started it yet and I'm skeptical but I was told to try it for a couple of weeks. Be interesting to see if it works though I'm a bit skeptical on homeopathic remedies.

True Republican

well done to the voters of colorado and washington, at least some americans realise that the war on drugs is long since lost.

Cassandra Syndrome

Both the death penalty and GM food labelling ballots are trailing alas.
That is disappointing. I would have thought that California would have purged capital punishment.

Good news on legalising dope in the OP though.

mr_anderson

Will be interesting to see if pot shops begin to open up, how much tax they raise and how many extra 'tourists' visit ?

kvran

I wonder did the recession have an influence the support of legalisation of marijuana. What with marijuana being a drug people use when they want to be happy doing nothing.

NLPete

Really interesting material as it’s the strongest natural material known to man without talking about carbon nano tubes etc. It was used to make all kinds of products from rope to clothes and medicine, as well as fuels. That is the Hemp plant with no THC (tetrahydracarbons) spelling? to speak off unless you roll aprox 1 ton of it in a J.

The history im aware of says that the hemp industry was worldwide but got shut down by the cotton industry and others with the help of the church..and state. “Thanks yer holiness”!

The other is Cannabis sativa “the smokable /edible one” also very useful in medicine being anti cancer and anti-depressant. But must be used wisely, originally the smokable version was much less ‘strong’ but breeding has changed that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies