• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Come all ye and listen to Mr. William Gladstone

Bobert

H.R. Haldeman

Wow, didn't know such a recording existed. Thanks for posting.

To say that rhetorical style has moved on since then is something of an understatement!

Nipper

Recording a message for Mr Edison!

Found a transcript - 1888 ( thank you google)

‘Dear Mr Edison,

I am profoundly indebted to you for, not the entertainment only, but the instruction and the marvels of one of the most remarkable evenings which it has been my privilege to enjoy.

‘The request, that you have done me the honour to make – to receive the record of my voice – is one that I cheerfully comply with so far as it lies in my power; though I lament to say that the voice which I transmit to you is only the relic of an organ, the employment of which has been overstrained. Yet I offer to you as much as I possess and so much as old age has left me, with the utmost satisfaction, as being, at least, a testimony to the instruction and delight that I have received from your marvellous invention.

‘As to future consequences it is impossible to anticipate them. All I see is that wonders upon wonders are opening before us. Your great country is leading the way in the important work of invention. Heartily do we wish it well. And to you, as one of its greatest celebrities, allow me to offer my hearty good wishes and earnest prayers that you may long live to witness its triumphs in all that appertains to the well-being of mankind.’

Scipio

I certainly didn't know William Ewart Gladstone sounded something like a Mayo farmer.

Many thanks for posting.

Last edited:

pujols

Super

A real treasure to here his voice.

Thanks for posting

Didimus

Wow, didn't know such a recording existed. Thanks for posting.

To say that rhetorical style has moved on since then is something of an understatement!
Although he could rise to this, talking about an earlier military adventure in Afghanistan
"Those hill tribes had committed no real offence against us. We, in the pursuit of our political objects, chose to establish military positions in their country. If they resisted, would not you have done the same? ... The meaning of the burning of the village is, that the women and the children were driven forth to perish in the snows of winter ... Is that not a fact – for such, I fear, it must be reckoned to be – which does appeal to your hearts as women ... which does rouse in you a sentiment of horror and grief, to think that the name of England, under no political necessity, but for a war as frivolous as ever was waged in the history of man, should be associated with consequences such as these?"

Catalpa

Although he could rise to this, talking about an earlier military adventure in Afghanistan
"Those hill tribes had committed no real offence against us. We, in the pursuit of our political objects, chose to establish military positions in their country. If they resisted, would not you have done the same? ... The meaning of the burning of the village is, that the women and the children were driven forth to perish in the snows of winter ... Is that not a fact – for such, I fear, it must be reckoned to be – which does appeal to your hearts as women ... which does rouse in you a sentiment of horror and grief, to think that the name of England, under no political necessity, but for a war as frivolous as ever was waged in the history of man, should be associated with consequences such as these?"
Well at least we know its not the voice of Tony Blair...History will record him as something else....:oops:

Bobert

Recording a message for Mr Edison!

Found a transcript - 1888 ( thank you google)

‘Dear Mr Edison,

I am profoundly indebted to you for, not the entertainment only, but the instruction and the marvels of one of the most remarkable evenings which it has been my privilege to enjoy.

‘The request, that you have done me the honour to make – to receive the record of my voice – is one that I cheerfully comply with so far as it lies in my power; though I lament to say that the voice which I transmit to you is only the relic of an organ, the employment of which has been overstrained. Yet I offer to you as much as I possess and so much as old age has left me, with the utmost satisfaction, as being, at least, a testimony to the instruction and delight that I have received from your marvellous invention.

‘As to future consequences it is impossible to anticipate them. All I see is that wonders upon wonders are opening before us. Your great country is leading the way in the important work of invention. Heartily do we wish it well. And to you, as one of its greatest celebrities, allow me to offer my hearty good wishes and earnest prayers that you may long live to witness its triumphs in all that appertains to the well-being of mankind.’
Fantastic!