• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Come work in Northern Ireland!

cuiseogach

So, I decided to post this as it may be of interest to some of you who are looking for work. I'm juggling couple of jobs here in the north of Ireland and in fact have had to turn down a job offer as I just can't fit any more hours in. I have one semi professional job, and one in retail. I'm having a ball up here as well and grateful to be progressing in a job and earning extra money with the other one.

There are loads of jobs to be had up here and they are all over northern Ireland. See www.jobcentreonline.com for example. Yet I am meeting more Eastern Europeans and other nationalities working here than I am those from the south of Ireland.

Another reason I'm even happier now to be here earning and saving is due to an encounter I had with a customer when working at the checkout in my retail job when they asked me 'are things that bad in the south that you had to come up here for work'? They were wearing the poppies, the only people still to be wearing them and I meet a lot of people through this job.

Generally though people are really great here, you will always recognize who's on the Irish or the UK side of things and people are mostly respectful of others from what I've seen.

We need more of you up here!

Iarmhi Gael

So, I decided to post this as it may be of interest to some of you who are looking for work. I'm juggling couple of jobs here in the north of Ireland and in fact have had to turn down a job offer as I just can't fit any more hours in. I have one semi professional job, and one in retail. I'm having a ball up here as well and grateful to be progressing in a job and earning extra money with the other one.

There are loads of jobs to be had up here and they are all over northern Ireland. See www.jobcentreonline.com for example. Yet I am meeting more Eastern Europeans and other nationalities working here than I am those from the south of Ireland.

Another reason I'm even happier now to be here earning and saving is due to an encounter I had with a customer when working at the checkout in my retail job when they asked me 'are things that bad in the south that you had to come up here for work'? They were wearing the poppies, the only people still to be wearing them and I meet a lot of people through this job.

Generally though people are really great here, you will always recognize who's on the Irish or the UK side of things and people are mostly respectful of others from what I've seen.

We need more of you up here!
Agree 100% - when I moved up here decades ago - I was the only southerner. Slowly they are coming up - what amazes me is how few from the South visit Northern Ireland. Rarely will you get a Golf Club, Stag/Hen, School travelling from the south beyond the likes of Newry or Derry.

In my own work I have met a girl from Roscommon (working in Civil service), a girl from Cork (Citigroup) and a guy from Dublin (Liberty IT who have all moved up here in last 3 months. Will all say similar about how good it is. I have met guy from Clare & cork who still go home at weekend to play club hurling. Belfast to Westmeath now can be done in 2hrs 5 mins - when I came up you would be looking at 3hrs 45mins

As for seeing who is Irish or English - Its only there if YOU go looking for it.

SFInbhear

Agree 100% - when I moved up here decades ago - I was the only southerner. Slowly they are coming up - what amazes me is how few from the South visit Northern Ireland. Rarely will you get a Golf Club, Stag/Hen, School travelling from the south beyond the likes of Newry or Derry.

In my own work I have met a girl from Roscommon (working in Civil service), a girl from Cork (Citigroup) and a guy from Dublin (Liberty IT who have all moved up here in last 3 months. Will all say similar about how good it is.

As for seeing who is Irish or English - Its only there if YOU go looking for it.
Belfast is a quality city, moved up in August for Uni. Great atmosphere about it and the people are great craic! SUFTUM

theloner

Nah buddy, thanks for the offer, don't want to go back to the dark ages.
Dark ages was what happened recently in a Galway hospital.

Mackers

Belfast it would be great if it had a roof.:p

factual

Okay it is fine to make positive noises about north of the border but don't go native, remember that Dublin is the normal and natural capital of Ireland (all of it) and that people up there need to be persuaded to come under the Dublin administration ultimately.

SFInbhear

Sorry you think so.

I prefer to think of myself as realistic.

You see, pal, people down here don't give a fchuurkhe about Unionist, Communist, Papist,Nationalist.

Fchuurkers up there seem to think that rubbish is vital.

I don't like that schidt mate.

Sorry.
Lived most of my adult life in the North, so I think I can make an assessment based on facts and not narrow minded ignorance.

Truth.ie

I think it's wrong to portray the Nort as some kind of Utopia.
The property market collapse in the North has been worse than in the 26 Counties.
One economist claimed the collapse in the North is the Worst in the World.
That means thousands in dire economic problems, debt and negative equity.
The true unemployment rate is masked by the fact those on "disability allowance" and "sickness benefit" are not classed as "unemployed".
I read once that 25% of West Belfast's working age population is "disabled".
Also those who are lucky to have jobs are usually low paid, short term contracts.
These people would earn roughly slightly more, what an unemployed person in the South would "earn".
Best paid jobs are in the "Community sector" but these are hoovered by whatever political party is in the ascendancy in that town or area.
For example SF members and their families in Nationalist areas would cream off most of the well paid, "funded community jobs".
I imagine it's the same in Loyalist areas.
In reality, if you're not unemployed or "disabled" you're most likely to end up in a callcentre, taxi-driving or in the low paid, (short term contract) retail sector.
Really, we're not all that.

SFInbhear

I think it's wrong to portray the Nort as some kind of Utopia.
The property market collapse in the North has been worse than in the 26 Counties.
One economist claimed the collapse in the North is the Worst in the World.
That means thousands in dire economic problems, debt and negative equity.
The true unemployment rate is masked by the fact those on "disability allowance" and "sickness benefit" are not classed as "unemployed".
I read once that 25% of West Belfast's working age population is "disabled".
Also those who are lucky to have jobs are usually low paid, short term contracts.
These people would earn roughly slightly more, what an unemployed person in the South would "earn".
Best paid jobs are in the "Community sector" but these are hoovered by whatever political party is in the ascendancy in that town or area.
For example SF members and their families in Nationalist areas would cream off most of the well paid, "funded community jobs".
I imagine it's the same in Loyalist areas.
In reality, if you're not unemployed or "disabled" you're most likely to end up in a callcentre, taxi-driving or in the low paid, (short term contract) retail sector.
Really, we're not all that.
There was a good spotlight programme on the property collapse and how NAMA had impacted upon it. Your points are valid but my overall experience has been very positive.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Know the score ,compadre, and I don't want to go there.

Living under slates and flying flags and parading ain't for me.

Sorry mate.
Such ignorance.
And I'd never work in Dublin because of all the drive-by shootings and heroin dealers everywhere, and people bringing horses into their flats. Yeah like that happens in every neighbourhood and every office.

Get real you ignoramus.
I worked in Derry for 10 years and never had any problems of any kind.

cuiseogach

Nobody is trying to portray it as a utopia. All I'm saying is that if there are people unemployed, looking for work and want an adventure, then they could do worse. Sure the bands and parades happen but they happen because the Irish/Ireland presence is strong here so it's a positive.
They make it very easy for you to get a national insurance number, you do an easy interview and they post out your national insurance number. If you don't have an address established, don't worry, they accept hostel/temporary address. Better to go to a town rather than a city though, I did mine through a border town (not newry) and it was very smooth.

Truth.ie

NAMA has 4 billion in property in the North belonging to Irish taxpayers.
For some reason SF and the DUP put pressure on FF and later FG asking them not to sell NAMA properties in the North.
This stock has yet to be offloaded so the downfall hasn't even started yet.
The next 10 to 15 years will be an economic flatline similar to the 80's

Iarmhi Gael

Okay it is fine to make positive noises about north of the border but don't go native, remember that Dublin is the normal and natural capital of Ireland (all of it) and that people up there need to be persuaded to come under the Dublin administration ultimately.
that is hardly a selling point. Stormont have a better government than the Dail - If anything Belfast should be position of government and rid the South of its rougue corrupt politics. Would also aid in selling an All Ireland to our Unionist friends.

I remember Factual being part of a grouping along with senior SF ministers (McGuinness, De Bruin, Conor Muphy, senior DUP (Robinson, Wilson & Paisley) as well as senior SDLP, UU & Alliance. As well as politicians over 80 leading business directors from NI were invited to Bank Of Ireland in College Green where we were invited to listen to the Euro, how the Republic were leading the way on the Island., How their investment would change NI. How NI had to be ready. We were spoken to by the likes of Ahern , McGrevey and senior business leaders in the South.

Later that day in a private session with everyone from NI - SF & the DUP and the business people, felt we were given a lecture in how to operate our business in NI. How for generations we suddenly had to change for the Republic. McGuinness & Paisley were united in the annoyance of southern people who suddenly thought they should hop on their gravy train. This 1 day "conference" is still talked about up here and many do not see the Republic as shinning lights in the field of economics and governance.

Glenshane4

Sorry you think so.

I prefer to think of myself as realistic.

You see, pal, people down here don't give a fchuurkhe about Unionist, Communist, Papist,Nationalist.

Fchuurkers up there seem to think that rubbish is vital.

I don't like that schidt mate.

Sorry.
I agree with you. I do not mind an Eireperson not being interested in Northern Ireland so long as he does not preach at the Catholic people of Northern Ireland.

ItsEvolution

nah mate, wouldn't like to live in that bile -filled hole.

Saying it as it is ,pal.

No interest in worrying about a bunch of cavemen marching around the gaff and banging drums.

No interest whatsoever, buddy.
You really are embarrassing yourself. You do know you can go a year without seeing or hearing a march in many parts of the north. Like others said start seeing the world.

Depends where. Derry and Newry, for example, have been hit extremely hard by the economic crisis (exacerbated massively by their depending heavily on cross-border traffic from what is now a debt-ridden basket case). Only today I was watching a SKy News report on how some areas of the UK, such as here in London, Brighton,the South-East generally, Sunderland, Aberdeen, and some other areas have not had a double-dip (in fact London and Brighton have barely registered the single dip), but Newry and Derry have had markedly worse experiences.

I'd say the South East of England is the place to go for work, the chances are much higher.

Truth.ie

Nobody is trying to portray it as a utopia. All I'm saying is that if there are people unemployed, looking for work and want an adventure, then they could do worse. Sure the bands and parades happen but they happen because the Irish/Ireland presence is strong here so it's a positive.
They make it very easy for you to get a national insurance number, you do an easy interview and they post out your national insurance number. If you don't have an address established, don't worry, they accept hostel/temporary address. Better to go to a town rather than a city though, I did mine through a border town (not newry) and it was very smooth.
I know what you're saying, but I don't think you've any more chance of finding work in Belfast than in Dublin or Cork.
I've family on both sides of the border,and my family in Dublin believe there are jobs in Dublin but they aren't being taken as many see these jobs as "beneath their worth" or they fear losing the dole, medical card, jollies etc.
Family in Derry say the economy is fecked with few jobs and loads of personal debt.