Comedian David McSavage

flavirostris

I went to a comedy gig last night in Dublin which was mainly unknowns, some funny, some not so funny but the headliner ( unknown to me ) was David McSavage who I have seen many times performing on Grafton St or in Temple Bar.

I don't think I'm alone in the view that he's probably the worst comedian I've ever seen. He's like an anti-comedian, completely unfunny and downright offensive. I don't know how he gets billed as a comedian.

He has no material whatsoever, in fact his whole act relies on mocking and belittling people in the audience or passers by. He got stuck into some people in the front, accusing them of looking like 'taxi drivers'. If anybody get's up to go to the bar or the toilet he immediately seizes on them and hurls some insult in their direction. He did a skit on the Joe Duffy show involving lampooning the caller's working class accents which was excruciatingly unfunny. He also had a bit of mock-bitter rant about how Des Bishop is more succesful than he is which actually ended up sounding just 'bitter'
It's the cheapest, lowest form of 'comedy' imaginable.

He also mentioned that his first cousin Ryan Tubridy had just got the Late Late gig and sounded not a little bitter about that as well.

Has anybody else seen this dreadfully unfunny neurotic.

Flavoritis, your post is choc-full of win. I can't stand David McSavage, he's a consumate penis-monger.

More on this when I get back from lunch!

red leveller

I think he is really funny! I have been at 3 gigs of his, with different groups of friends, and we all really enjoyed them.

I do confess that it is wise to avoid the front seats at his gigs. I was at the comedy club in Cork and when we went in the only table left was at the front, so I grabbed a table and chairs from a storage area beside the stage and set up another table down the back. When the manager saw that the front-centre table was empty he was furious and was really nasty to some poor underling for allowing it to happen. Then they went around to different tables offering people free beer to take the front table - some poor Finnish couple agreed and were the butts of the jokes for the night.

Also his material doesn't seem to change very much over time.

Still, in my view a very funny man - I just feel he could be equally amusing without targeting audience members.

nonpartyboy

Totally ********************e "comedian",if it wasn't for the famous family he'd be on the dole.Worse than the Nualas.

flavirostris

I think he is really funny! I have been at 3 gigs of his, with different groups of friends, and we all really enjoyed them.

I do confess that it is wise to avoid the front seats at his gigs. I was at the comedy club in Cork and when we went in the only table left was at the front, so I grabbed a table and chairs from a storage area beside the stage and set up another table down the back. When the manager saw that the front-centre table was empty he was furious and was really nasty to some poor underling for allowing it to happen. Then they went around to different tables offering people free beer to take the front table - some poor Finnish couple agreed and were the butts of the jokes for the night.

Also his material doesn't seem to change very much over time.

Still, in my view a very funny man - I just feel he could be equally amusing without targeting audience members.

I hate 'comedians' who pick on the audience to get a few cheap laughs. McSavage is not alone in this respect - Jason Byrne does it as well.
I've seen him physically pull people out of the front row to be the butt of jokes onstage. It's almost like when some petty bullying teacher would haul some poor unfortunate in front of the class to be made an example of.
It's a lame substitute for having no quality material themselves.
Good stand-up shouldn't have to rely on audience participation - just watch the master Bill H.

red leveller

I hate 'comedians' who pick on the audience to get a few cheap laughs. McSavage is not alone in this respect - Jason Byrne does it as well.
I've seen him physically pull people out of the front row to be the butt of jokes onstage. It's almost like when some petty bullying teacher would haul some poor unfortunate in front of the class to be made an example of.
It's a lame substitute for having no quality material themselves.
Good stand-up shouldn't have to rely on audience participation - just watch the master Bill H.
I agree with all of this - my appreciation of McSavage is for the comedy that doesn't involve victims.

And sadly there are no Bill Hicks around any more.

lmao

flavirostris

RTE 6 news just had an item about David McSavage going to court for refusing to pay his TV license. His reason was the 'low quality' of RTE's output.

He has a show on RTE FFS.

Last edited:

former wesleyan

Does anyone remember the Twenty Major blog. His take down of McBollix was savage.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
RTE 6 news just had an item about David McSavage going to court for refusing to pay is TV license. His reason was the 'low quality' of RTE's output.

He has a show on RTE FFS.
does he still? or have they not renewed it?

Last edited:

flavirostris

does he still? or hae they not renewed it?
Case was struck out after McSavage agreed to pay arrears. But this guy has his own show on RTE and he won't even pay the license. And he's a first cousin of Ryan Tubridy.

HereWeGoAgain

RTE star David McSavage has been given another chance to avoid jail for not paying his TV licence, after a judge adjourned the case.
speaking to media after the case, the comedian claimed that he did not buy a licence and that he does not know who did.
"I didn't take one out on March 31. I don't have a licence. I'm saying I haven't got a TV licence. I didn't know I had a licence," said Mr McSavage.
"I didn't buy one personally. I didn't realise that a TV licence was bought."
He also added that he didn't understand what he was agreeing to when the evidence was put before the court.
He said: "I've got a gig tonight and then I thought well if I say I'm not going to pay it I don't know would I be taken down...would I be put in prison.
"I don't mind going to prison or whatever, it's one thing saying it and then being in the situation."
When asked by media if he would pay the arrears, the comic replied: "Yeah...this is enough of this sh*t at this f**king stage. I had the point, the point is made."
However, he then went on to tell journalists that he didn't know if he would pay the arrears or appear before the court in June.
The comic decided to represent himself before the packed court.
is he just looking for publicity?

link to article above
RTE comic David McSavage given chance to avoid jail sentence for not paying his TV licence - Independent.ie

GDPR

I only know him by report and the reports are that he is vile.

I have always found that actual reality is often far more hilarious than anything comedians ever seem to come up with.

johnnypockets

RTE star David McSavage has been given another chance to avoid jail for not paying his TV licence, after a judge adjourned the case.

is he just looking for publicity?

link to article above
RTE comic David McSavage given chance to avoid jail sentence for not paying his TV licence - Independent.ie
Little doubt its a publicity stunt. If he does still have a show on RTE they should have a bit of balls and axe it now. Was he on the Late Late Show in the last month or two?

Wagmore

Little doubt its a publicity stunt. If he does still have a show on RTE they should have a bit of balls and axe it now. Was he on the Late Late Show in the last month or two?
He's Tubridy's first cousin. He's always slagging Tubridy off in his comedy shows. No way Duds would have him on Late Late for fear of being exposed as a fraud

Socratus O' Pericles

I was hoping this might be another obituary thread................

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies