• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Coming up to Backstop "Crunch-Time" Krauts Break Ranks

yosef shompeter

Angela Merkel urges Taoiseach Leo Varadkar to soften backstop demands in order to secure Brexit deal - Irish Mirror Online

Angel Merkel Urges Taoiseach to Soften Backstop Demands in Order to Secure Backstop Deal

Looks to me like just coming up to "Crunch Time" that the Krauts have broken ranks. It wasn't meant to play out like this. Can yous remember all along up till three days ago the EU gave assurances that they stood 100% behind Ireland's request for a backstop.
The playbook was supposed to run along the lines of:
Theresa May asks EU for alteration of the backstop
EU tell Thersa May "nothing doing"
Theresa May goes back to Parliament where they all strut and fret their hour upon the stage and then either:
a) Crash out without a deal (Unlikely as the Irish-American lobby have just put out the message of no trade-deal with the U.S. if they harm the "Good Friday Agreement" in any way.
b) Call a new election which could or should enable a majority which will accept the Customs border going down the Irish sea. i.e. Northern Irleand goes its merry way politically as before but the island of Ireland remains inside the EU Customs Union.

This last b) is the only practical and reasonable solution. Arlene and the DUP will have to compromise.

It must come as a blow to Leo Vardkar and the Irish team who have been playing "Mr Nice Guy" all these years trying to be "good little Europeans".

But it comes as a double-blow to Leo as relations have inevitably soured with the Brits, our third biggest trading partner -- in spite of the best efforts of the Irish side to help the UK achieve the softest Brexit possible.
Leo says as much in his reply to Merkel:
" I think that we have been very creative all along and it's up to those who have created this problem to be a bit more creative now"
It's not something world-shattering to hold an election (the Brits have one every four years), achieve some sort of a majority that supports Ulster remaining in the customs Union... and then the UK can proceed with their very own Brexit. Ulster is not the size of one pimple on the ass of the British economy. It's not even the end of the rail-road line. You have to catch a ferry as well.

Leo must asking himself... all this EU cammeraderie, solidarity and backslappery just up to the time when it's most needed and then Merkel... (and before this the Polish For-Min) come out and tell him to compromise -- on the Backstop insurance policy.
It's time for FF & FG to count up their chips: The people of Ireland have taken in all these EU workers along with the half of Africa and Asia and have given them jobs and houses while we suffer an enormous homeless problem ourselves. The rescue of the bondholders I need not mention.

One wonders how Theresa May managed to pull this one off. Perhaps it could have something to do with the UK being a member of Nato. And recall that Trump wants to loosen his connections with same just at a time when Putin is doing his sabre-rattling out in the Ukraine.

I would suggest that we have some hard thinking to do.

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
Ireland will be flung under the bus - have no doubts

OrderoftheDragon

Ireland will be flung under the bus - have no doubts
I said it weeks ago, given the choice between 150,000 German manufactured cars being sold into Britain or not, and telling lickarse Varadkar to suck it up, we will get fuc3ked over without a doubt.

paulp

I said it weeks ago, given the choice between 150,000 German manufactured cars being sold into Britain or not, and telling lickarse Varadkar to suck it up, we will get fuc3ked over without a doubt.
Any evidence to date that the EU haven't supported our position 100% of the way in Brexit negotiations?

Wagmore

Angela Merkel urges Taoiseach Leo Varadkar to soften backstop demands in order to secure Brexit deal - Irish Mirror Online

Angel Merkel Urges Taoiseach to Soften Backstop Demands in Order to Secure Backstop Deal

Looks to me like just coming up to "Crunch Time" that the Krauts have broken ranks. It wasn't meant to play out like this. Can yous remember all along up till three days ago the EU gave assurances that they stood 100% behind Ireland's request for a backstop.
Theresa May goes back to Parliament where they all strut and fret their hour upon the stage and then either:
a) Crash out without a deal (Unlikely as the Irish-American lobby have just put out the message of no trade-deal with the U.S. if they harm the "Good Friday Agreement" in any way.
b) Call a new election which could or should enable a majority which will accept the Customs border going down the Irish sea. i.e. Northern Irleand goes its merry way politically as before but the island of Ireland remains inside the EU Customs Union.

This last b) is the only practical and reasonable solution. Arlene and the DUP will have to compromise.

It must come as a blow to Leo Vardkar and the Irish team who have been playing "Mr Nice Guy" all these years trying to be "good little Europeans".

But it comes as a double-blow to Leo as relations have inevitably soured with the Brits, our third biggest trading partner -- in spite of the best efforts of the Irish side to help the UK achieve the softest Brexit possible.

It's not something world-shattering to hold an election (the Brits have one every four years), achieve some sort of a majority that supports Ulster remaining in the customs Union... and then the UK can proceed with their very own Brexit. Ulster is not the size of one pimple on the ass of the British economy. It's not even the end of the rail-road line. You have to catch a ferry as well.

Leo must asking himself... all this EU cammeraderie, solidarity and backslappery just up to the time when it's most needed and then Merkel... (and before this the Polish For-Min) come out and tell him to compromise -- on the Backstop insurance policy.
It's time for FF & FG to count up their chips: The people of Ireland have taken in all these EU workers along with the half of Africa and Asia and have given them jobs and houses while we suffer an enormous homeless problem ourselves. The rescue of the bondholders I need not mention.

One wonders how Theresa May managed to pull this one off. Perhaps it could have something to do with the UK being a member of Nato. And recall that Trump wants to loosen his connections with same just at a time when Putin is doing his sabre-rattling out in the Ukraine.

Leotard and his advisors are idiots. Throwing shapes to enforce an agreement that will result in a hard border because we don't want a hard border. Completely imbecilic

Vega1447

We?
An Oirish edition of an English newspaper has a scoop - that the German Chancellor "[FONT=&quot]suggested a “creative” solution to the deadlock can be found."

[/FONT]
That's it?

Man the lifeboats.. Irexeters and Brexiteers first..

cranberry1

750,000 German cars are brought into the UK every year .

publicrealm

And, one day later.

"It is understood that EU officials are looking at offering May a detailed plan of what a potential technological solution to the Irish border might look like, which could be included in the legally non-binding political declaration on the future trade deal."

I doubt that this will be enough - Mrs. May has been instructed to demand a legally binding change to the backstop.

"But officials believe it is increasingly likely that any renegotiated deal will only be put to the Commons at the end of March, necessitating even then an extension of the article 50 negotiating period to get legislation through parliament.

On Thursday the German finance commissioner, Günther Hermann Oettinger, suggested the chance of a no-deal Brexit was now as high as 60%.

“If the British side asks for an extension of two or three months and there are reasons for that, I think there’s a good chance that the member states would accept that unanimously,” he said. “But in the eight or 12 weeks there needs to be the possibility of achieving progress and that there must be a withdrawal agreement at the end of that.”

BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread) - Page 4944

(I wouldn't want some of you guys covering my flanks in a battle.)

Sync

We?
An Oirish edition of an English newspaper has a scoop - that the German Chancellor "[FONT="]suggested a “creative” solution to the deadlock can be found."

[/FONT]
That's it?

Man the lifeboats.. Irexeters and Brexiteers first..
That’s it except in the same passage Merkel said the WA wasn’t for renegotiation. So really she said the same thing everyone has been saying.

Niall996

750,000 German cars are brought into the UK every year .
They're not banning German cars in the UK. They'll still buy them after Brexit. They'll just have to pay more. Non story.

Dame_Enda

I have always said the govt was backing itself into a corner by demanding a region not part of the EU (in a few months possibly) should be part of the Customs Union and Single Market. It goes against the concept of the Single Market to have a non-EU country - or indeed part of one - in it completely without their being external barriers to non-EEA trade. It is true that Norway is part of the Single Market. But Norway also has hi-tech border security with Swede that can take 2 hours I've heard to get through.

The biggest mistake the govt was made was the alleged order to the Dept of Finance to stop investigating technological solutions. I have always argued for GPS tracking.

publicrealm

I have always said the govt was backing itself into a corner by demanding a region not part of the EU (in a few months possibly) should be part of the Customs Union and Single Market. It goes against the concept of the Single Market to have a non-EU country in it completely. It is true that Norway is part of the Single Market. But Norway also has hi-tech border security with Swede that can take 2 hours I've heard to get through.

The biggest mistake the govt was made was the alleged order to the Dept of Finance to stop investigating technological solutions. I have always argued for GPS tracking.
The slabs of this world would be happy to wear gps trackers.

Dame_Enda

In an age where mobiles can be tracked through GPS, I don't accept we can't do the same with hauliers to police non-EEA trade coming in through the UK.

Last edited:

publicrealm

We have been such fools - smartphones and GPS trackers are the solution that has eluded the finest minds of the EU!

Huzzah - I'm heading to the attic to break out the bunting and open up the food stockpile!

cranberry1

They're not banning German cars in the UK. They'll still buy them after Brexit. They'll just have to pay more. Non story.
Well that's the beauty of trade , you decide whats best for you and your family , no deal Brexit is not good for German auto makers .

Dame_Enda

Well if we pass a law that Sat Nav on haulage trucks must have GPS, that would help police border trade without hard borders being necessary.