Coming up to Backstop "Crunch-Time" Krauts Break Ranks

JacquesHughes

Mrs Merkel merely says 'Be optimistic'.

What Merkel said is much less dramatic than the thread title. Deutsche Welle ( who are likely to understand just what Mrs Merkel said to business leaders in Tokyo) quotes her: 'From a political point of view there is still time. But for this, it would be very important to know what exactly the British side envisages in terms of it's relationship with the EU.'

The other things they quote are upbeat and optimistic- basically boilerplate.
′Still time′ for Brexit solution, says Merkel | News | DW | 05.02.2019

Deutshe Welle doesn't seem to think this is ground breaking.

The location might be relevant. Japan is a significant economy, and a frank critic of Brexit. Some of those in the audience were thinking, 'Do we cancel our planned investment in the UK now, or do we wait to see how this uncertainty plays out?'

Mrs Merkel was making them believe, little change and continuity which would be good for business, are still possible.

The all-UK backstop ties the UK to a future close to EU customs and regulation, which most of Japan would regard as good.

The problem is: can the UK now, in the next 40 days, make that decision for a long term relationship?

JacquesHughes

Much at stake for Ireland. Nil at stake for the DUP.

Ireland can't go back to the 1930s; with a government in Northern Ireland passing regulations and making infrastructure decisions to DECREASE cross-border trade.
In the CM/EC/EU the island has enjoyed increasing economic integration ( and economic integration with Britain too).

For the DUP there is nothing at stake for any irresponsible decision they make- they and their community will be feather-bedded by the EU in the backstop or by the British government if 'no-deal'; but for Ireland there is much at stake if Brexiteers ( knowingly or ignorantly) pursue long-term mischief.

Strawberry

Ireland can't go back to the 1930s; with a government in Northern Ireland passing regulations and making infrastructure decisions to DECREASE cross-border trade.
In the CM/EC/EU the island has enjoyed increasing economic integration ( and economic integration with Britain too).

For the DUP there is nothing at stake for any irresponsible decision they make- they and their community will be feather-bedded by the EU in the backstop or by the British government if 'no-deal'; but for Ireland there is much at stake if Brexiteers ( knowingly or ignorantly) pursue long-term mischief.
I wouldn't be so sure they will be feather bedded in the event of a no deal. Maybe for the lifetime of this government, but that won't last beyond 2022 at most.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
In some ways it is good that the DUP have had a light shone on them by propping up this tory government. I don't think many people in the UK were aware of this particularly gothic political strand in politics. I strongly suspect it is their last day in any kind of sunshine.

Coalition or supply arrangements can throw up weirdness as we well know with our frog-counters in half-mercs in the arragement between the greens and FF not so long ago.

The greens in Ireland and Labour Party have been decimated by their minority coalition positioning propping up unpopular governments and can end up taking a much larger part of the flak than their supposed influence can warrant and I suspect the same will go for the DUP.

They have entrenched cultural support for historical reasons of course but there will be influential constituencies in unionism that will opt for pragmatism in economics rather than intransigence and economic suicide.

Landowners and those who make their living from farming exports in Northern Ireland would be the least likely supporters of Brexit, given the ultimate disappearance of EU agricultural subsidies with Brexit.

Orange sashes and lambeg drums are all very well but they don't put food on the table.

Shpake

Interview with Obama Adviser Ben Rhodes - SPIEGEL ONLINE
An interview with Obama former adviser Ben Rhodes. In my view, it goes a long way in explaining why Frau Merkel and the Polish Foreign Minister want to avoid a toxic divorce with the UK. If Trump is de-coupling the US from Nato, or even let's just say that he wants the Euopean troops fighting in the first and second lines -- America in reserve, a united western Europe would be no bad thing.
I could be saying here that the Ukraine's goose is already cooked:frown:
But then what about the baltic states?

yosef shompeter

Duh.. self-praise, no praise, right?

Theresa May tells MPs to 'hold our nerve' over Brexit deal | Euronews

Seems like Theresa has been thinking along the same lines as myself. Obviously she must be reading P.ie :giggle:

Many comentators and MPs have begun suggesting/accusing her of deliberate delay tactics so that at the last moment before a crash-out on March 29th it will be "MY Way or the HighWay". She's smarter than one would think.
But of late she has been suggesting that she might need more time to negotiate...
Hoping for a further wavering in our ranks?
Them Brits ain't as dumb as they look. I'm tellin' ya.

raetsel

Coming up to Backstop "Crunch-Time" Krauts Break Ranks
Coming to a discussion board near you:
:roll:
Bigoted clown uses idiotic negative pejorative to denigrate fellow human beings for the purpose of making a nonsensical point.

yosef shompeter

Coming to a discussion board near you:
:roll:
Bigoted clown uses idiotic negative pejorative to denigrate fellow human beings for the purpose of making a nonsensical point.
I can see that you are a high-minded sensitive chap. But what's coming down the tracks at us will be something of the order of the 1921 treaty. Take the time to look at the Sun or Daily Telegraph. The Tory back benchers with their constant references to Nazis Europeans are no shrinking violets.
I think it would be very foolish to assume that Theresa May is the picture of the nice old lady she likes to present... Dancing Queen and such aside. It seems like she has been playing one big long delaying tactic/strategy... and it's not clear as to why.

Mickeymac

I can see that you are a high-minded sensitive chap. But what's coming down the tracks at us will be something of the order of the 1921 treaty. Take the time to look at the Sun or Daily Telegraph. The Tory back benchers with their constant references to Nazis Europeans are no shrinking violets.
I think it would be very foolish to assume that Theresa May is the picture of the nice old lady she likes to present... Dancing Queen and such aside. It seems like she has been playing one big long delaying tactic/strategy... and it's not clear as to why.

In a nutshell Theresa May, head of "government" in the UK is a "leader" whose policy towards Ireland,Brexit, her unholy alliance with the craicpot bigots of the DUP is putting the lives and livelyhoods of the people she is supposed to represent.....end of.

Estragon

I can see that you are a high-minded sensitive chap. But what's coming down the tracks at us will be something of the order of the 1921 treaty.
Big difference. This time we have the world's largest trading bloc in our corner.

:)

Shpake

There can be little doubt that paranoia is not in short supply here:
Leo & rep of Ireland who are playing a "chit or bust" came to maintain/salvage as much of the UK market and benefits as they can. But a hard no deal brexit will mean a hard border for Ireland.
Theresa May, who wants 1) to avoid a split in the Conservative party, 2) prevent or delay Scotland from splitting off from the UK to join with the EU and 3)to achieve a good deal on Brexit
Arlene and the DUP who want to preserve their pre-eminence in NI and maintain the link with UK.

But what I find curious is that if we assume that the demographics point towards an emerging Catholic Majority in the North in the next few years.
So theoretically then, a border going down the Irish sea should not be such a big thing to Theresa May and the Conservatives.
They say that things are running a bit feverish in Westminister.

McDave

We?
An Oirish edition of an English newspaper has a scoop - that the German Chancellor "[FONT="]suggested a “creative” solution to the deadlock can be found."

[/FONT]
That's it?

Man the lifeboats.. Irexeters and Brexiteers first..
Absolutely. If Brexit has taught us anything, it’s that Pie’s Europhobes have misunderstood the EU as much as, if not more than they did during their Great Eurozone Debacle.