Comment is Free, Except at The Irish Times

gatsbygirl20

I take your point gg, but I don't think that's it. You have to be registered to comment to begin with and supply more than just an email address.

Granted you can have a username but you don't really have anonymity and the comments are quite well policed, it's not a free for all and nothing like here.

I do think it is a very cynical attempt to get people to subscribe because the paywall failed.

The reason though is their pricing structure, the basic cost is €12 a month. They aren't pricing wrt digital but as a substitute for printed media and aren't taking into account that the way it is consumed is different.

To put it in perspective, Netflix is €9.99, the value isn't comparable. They need to rethink their business model.
I still think Red, that although the management know who you are and have your details, it is totally different making a comment under a Username, and having your real name printed there for everyone to see--as it would be for example if you wrote to the Letters Pages of any newspaper.

I agree that the whole digital/pay wall thing is problematic.

Even women of my age--the demographic who should, you'd think, be buying hard copies of newspapers---have got into the habit of gleaning our news from many free on-line sources.

A very nice middle aged man from the Irish Times rang my doorbell the other day, trying to get me to sign up to the digital IT.

He said he would throw in the Saturday hard copy free. The IT have copped on that people buy only the Saturday copy, to relax on Saturday morning with lifestyle and culture sections

On a larger point, and not really the point of your OP, I think we'll miss the old-school, properly-paid journalists who travelled to war zones, etc, checking their sources, going out to get the news that others then could rip off and circulate for free.
We'll just all be a bunch of ranters on-line. We'll all be "journalists"-- with predictable results, I fear.

A REASON

I think this website shouldn't be free. Some payments should be made. It'd be only fair. Of course the payments should be coming our way for keeping this place alive. What a sh1thole.

Nedz Newt

Think about it though. Shouldn't papers be charging? If everything becomes free at source, what we will end up with is about 500 outfits recycling standardized news produced by 2 or 3 sources, while anything investigative and that genuinely adds social value being largely unaffordable.
Your ability to see into the present is uncanny....:)

Mercurial

I reckon it takes about a decade or so to know if a lecturer was good. The ones I liked at the time turned out to be less rigorous than the ones I intensely disliked.
I tended to like the ones who had obvious enthusiasm for their subjects, and was fortunate to have had a couple of those. Those who seemed like they were phoning it in made the material much harder to follow - if they didn't seem to find it interesting, why should I?

stopdoingstuff

I tended to like the ones who had obvious enthusiasm for their subjects, and was fortunate to have had a couple of those. Those who seemed like they were phoning it in made the material much harder to follow - if they didn't seem to find it interesting, why should I?
Yeah, I liked the ones who loved their stuff enough to drill down into the technical details. I can safely say that I would not be able to do the job I do today if it was not for some of the lectures I had on areas ranging from formal logic to Wittgenstein.

Half Nelson

Yeah, I liked the ones who loved their stuff enough to drill down into the technical details. I can safely say that I would not be able to do the job I do today if it was not for some of the lectures I had on areas ranging from formal logic to Wittgenstein.
Yeah, taxi-drivin' calls for a broad education, with all that blather. ;)

Dearghoul

Quite. But, on the other hand neither Mrs. C.J. nor I have gotten where we are today by indulging in hanky panky willy nilly with people of the opposite sex.

storybud1

Yeah, the Irish slimes and the rest, for weeks now they could publish the UK Threesome celebrity dirtbags name, but they won't, not because it would hurt the "family"

It's because he/they are celebrity gays that bought the kids online etc, this of course goes against all the ultra liberal sh1te the slimes peddles, it's like C4 news published, pure , biased slime,

Utter rubbish rag that I have never bought nor ever will, Journalism died with Guerin in this Country, the remainders are sales people flogging outrage and attention for no good reason or offer any realistic answers or unbiased reporting.

Mercurial

Yeah, the Irish slimes and the rest, for weeks now they could publish the UK Threesome celebrity dirtbags name, but they won't, not because it would hurt the "family"

It's because he/they are celebrity gays that bought the kids online etc, this of course goes against all the ultra liberal sh1te the slimes peddles, it's like C4 news published, pure , biased slime,

Utter rubbish rag that I have never bought nor ever will, Journalism died with Guerin in this Country, the remainders are sales people flogging outrage and attention for no good reason or offer any realistic answers or unbiased reporting.
This may be the first time I've ever seen someone argue that a newspaper is a worthless rag because they didn't publish a story about a celebrity sex scandal.

Socratus O' Pericles

I wonder how the whole paywall initiative is going for them? Someone I know who isn't given to hyperbole claims IT is in big bother?

Socratus O' Pericles

Now is as good a time as any,

Here is as good a place as any:

[video=youtube;1GAKOLOnfV4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GAKOLOnfV4[/video]

Spanner Island

Eh... the IT... whatever... don't access it anymore since it went paywall... apart from the odd linked article from here... but I wouldn't be too bothered if they were blocked too...

There's a lot of sources of free news... and the IT certainly isn't what it used to be anyway...

I thought all comments were moderated anyway... or at least they used to be...

Eh... whatever...

jmcc

I wonder how the whole paywall initiative is going for them? Someone I know who isn't given to hyperbole claims IT is in big bother?
Think that there was some kind of promotion where IT articles linked on Social Media would not count in the ten articles per user thing. That's a very bad sign and it was there quite early. The old quote about what's good is not original and what's original is not good is probably hitting the IT hard. The Phoenix ran a story a few years ago about the IT being very heavily dependent on advertising revenue so any downturn in that may have a big effect. Don't know if there are any layoffs planned yet but the ABC figures for the morning newspapers have not been good.

SEO Ireland, Search Engine Optimisation, Media and Marketing Consulting - Newspaper Circulation July-Dec 2015

On a related issue, the Sunday Business Post published some details of its PPV/paywall subs and they weren't great and that's highly targeted content.

Last edited:

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Think that there was some kind of promotion where IT articles linked on Social Media would not count in the ten articles per user thing. That's a very bad sign and it was there quite early. The old quote about what's good is not original and what's original is not good is probably hitting the IT hard. The Phoenix ran a story a few years ago about the IT being very heavily dependent on advertising revenue so any downturn in that may have a big effect. Don't know if there are any layoffs planned yet but the ABC figures for the morning newspapers have not been good.

SEO Ireland, Search Engine Optimisation, Media and Marketing Consulting - Newspaper Circulation July-Dec 2015

On a related issue, the Sunday Business Post published some details of its PPV/paywall subs and they weren't great and that's highly targeted content.
the Times UK launched behind a paywall and its already done this now anybody can read shared articles (if a subscriber shares an article from their tablet) and their own reporters have been sharing most of their articles for anyone to read (Im happy to pay for them to make sure I get all of them)

jmcc

the Times UK launched behind a paywall and its already done this now anybody can read shared articles (if a subscriber shares an article from their tablet) and their own reporters have been sharing most of their articles for anyone to read (Im happy to pay for them to make sure I get all of them)
The UK market is a lot bigger than the Irish market. With paywalls and PPV, the size of the market is a critical aspect. The Irish Times market is that of a provincial newspaper by comparison. The Sunday Times has also set up an Irish paywalled service (thetimes.ie) and this may be providing some competition to the Irish Times.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies