Comments on COVID-19 and Misinformation

Rural

While posters or readers shouldn’t look to politics.ie to obtain medical advice or recommendations, some posters, out of an attempt to be helpful, are posting information that they have heard or received through social media (or other methods) that is neither accurate, helpful or even legitimate advice. Many of us will have recently received texts, WhatsApp chats, Facebook IMs etc that contain unsourced, unverified and not just misleading information but inaccurate information. Posters should seek medical advice from their doctors and/or health advisers/practitioners.

We ask that you refrain from posting advice or recommendations here on politics.ie unless it’s from a recognized health or government authority, such as, (but not limited to,) the World Health Organisation (WHO) , the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, (CDC), the Health Service Executive (HSE) , the National Health Service (NHS), the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) etc

If you do post advice or recommendations, please source it with credible links. We are all aware of guidance about items like social distancing, hand-washing, self-quarantine etc but posts with old wives tales, witches concoctions, fake science, stories from your neighbour’s, aunt’s, dogwalker’s, doctor etc from social media or elsewhere are subject to removal.

Everyone can play a part here and we ask that you kindly report posts with advice and recommendations that are not credibly sourced.

Thanks
I agree wholeheartedly and some of the Tweets from unreliable sources, including some of the graphs (pathetic graphs) put up have been quite frightening, about five or so posters are bombarding the thread with "scare the pants of ya" stuff.

Equally annoying is the parallel debate (which should be for a whole other thread) about who should be governing us now and arguing about the Constitution (which is ancient). Give's a break, just give me one disaster before the other.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I've noticed that we do seem to have people running in to post things they've seen on Twitter or had circulated based on a Tweet. I'd just be really careful of those because they are a Troll's paradise.

I've seen a few examples of faked up 'updates' and it makes me wonder what on earth people get out of deliberately setting out to cause a panic. I don't know whether it is a left-handed attempt at infamy of some kind in some circles but I definitely won't be taking as much notice of stuff in the form of tweets circulating from people who are unlikely to have any inside knowledge and usually introduced by some breathless one-sentence announcer from someone else I've never heard of.

The reality is concerning enough, no one needs more stressful fictions dumped on top.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Dammit, I'm sitting here in my biohazard suit in the Bunker now having assumed that Volatire was a primary news source. Big pile of opened bean cans next to me.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Some excellent advice here from a solo round the world sailor who spends months alone at sea.

'Focus only on what you can control and don’t waste energy worrying about things that are outside your control. We are bombarded with information via the media and we do need to take news onboard. However, if you find that listening or reading the news is increasing your anxiety or stress levels then limit your exposure to it. '

owedtojoy

Great chance to quote Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes ....

The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic. [...] The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger
Posting that hospitals are traps to kill the elderly meets Holmes' standard, because such a post would create the panic factor. Opinion pieces on the mitigation measures being taken should not fail the standard, if they are based on some authoritative criteria, or are clearly just the poster's views.

Volatire

I do my own analysis and projections. In part because I am suspicious of hopelessly politicised and self-interested medical-industrial complexes.

Is this spreading "mis-information"?

soubresauts

Great chance to quote Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes ....
"a man falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic..."
On the other hand, we're supposed to be panicking about the climate crisis, aren't we?

I mean, the sea level rising no less than 2 cm in the last three decades... Oh, wait.

The OD

I do my own analysis and projections. In part because I am suspicious of hopelessly politicised and self-interested medical-industrial complexes.

Is this spreading "mis-information"?
If you want to play important people and talk about how you do your ''analysis and projections'' , that's super. Just keep your 'findings' to yourself.

On the other hand, we're supposed to be panicking about the climate crisis, aren't we?

I mean, the sea level rising no less than 2 cm in the last three decades... Oh, wait.
I'd suggest you engage in this.

Ooky Mouth

Be sure to drink your dandelion infused otter piss beforehand though, because, skience.

The OD

Here’s a prime example.
Still coming across a lot of fake b0ll0x on here. It needs to be removed and repeat offenders hand permanent bans. We are way beyond the ''harmless banter'' now, I know one guy with a serious underlying condition who has been hospitalised. Might not be Covid 19, but if so, he is a prime candidate to have the worst possible reaction to it.

Rural

How come it looks like I started this thread?:confused:

I didn't start this thread, fire or virus. ¿Entienden?

The OD

How come it looks like I started this thread?:confused:

I didn't start this thread, fire or virus. ¿Entienden?
Its a welcome, interesting and useful threat, I see no problem with it being associated with someone of your calibre.

;)

Splodge

Still coming across a lot of fake b0ll0x on here. It needs to be removed and repeat offenders hand permanent bans. We are way beyond the ''harmless banter'' now, I know one guy with a serious underlying condition who has been hospitalised. Might not be Covid 19, but if so, he is a prime candidate to have the worst possible reaction to it.
I’ve reported them.

Rural

Its a welcome, interesting and useful threat, I see no problem with it being associated with someone of your calibre.

;)
I just thought that having a Moderator as the OP gave it a certain "Quality Factor" and that it would be taken more seriously.

Because, the scare tactics being used on the other thread (by about 5 posters) are becoming tedious, there are a lot of positives, like this region hasn't had a new case for two days (the lockdown is working) and China is now beginning to start some sort of normality.

But the doom and gloom merchants keep posting those Tweets from other gloom and doom merchants that I've never heard of.

amsterdemmetje

I just thought that having a Moderator as the OP gave it a certain "Quality Factor" and that it would be taken more seriously.

Because, the scare tactics being used on the other thread (by about 5 posters) are becoming tedious, there are a lot of positives, like this region hasn't had a new case for two days (the lockdown is working) and China is now beginning to start some sort of normality.

But the doom and gloom merchants keep posting those Tweets from other gloom and doom merchants that I've never heard of.
I honestly don't know how Dame Edna gets through the day, that poster was bad enough with spamming the site with Twatter feed on a normal day but has gone into hyperdrive since this took off. Im not trying to be nasty about the poster or anything but its clear to me anyway that some sort of limit or filter should be put on said poster and others on that thread.

Rural

I honestly don't know how Dame Edna gets through the day, that poster was bad enough with spamming the site with Twatter feed on a normal day but has gone into hyperdrive since this took off. Im not trying to be nasty about the poster or anything but its clear to me anyway that some sort of limit or filter should be put on said poster and others on that thread.

Scary shite just paralyses people. What people need now is positive action, preventing groups of people meeting, closing down everything except necessary services - Only this will give the space for things to be done by people who know what they're doing.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom