Comments on COVID-19 and Misinformation

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Ok this is funny and sarcastic if you need a laugh. That said, *warning* it has some salty language so be careful if you are a) offended by that or b) have young children in earshot.

That's brilliant :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Think how much worse the rumour mill about Covid-19 would be even without the 'net. While we can and should deprecate the spread of alarmist and fake news on the 'net at least it is a communications system where clarification can be issued.

Rural

Last edited:
Last edited:
Think how much worse the rumour mill about Covid-19 would be even without the 'net. While we can and should deprecate the spread of alarmist and fake news on the 'net at least it is a communications system where clarification can be issued.
You're right, the lack of information coming from main stream media is equally harmful.

I bet the Sindo and The Mail on Sunday today is just chock full of opinion (as per...) and possibly a few scary stories, but nothing in the way of real information,

I heard from a nurse who says that if you are worried that you may be developing C-19.

1. Mouth wash and gargle with salted warm water (lemon or vinegar can replace the salt).

2. Drink lots of warm drinks and drink warm water every 20 minutes.

3. Wash your hands every 20 minutes.

4. Take some paracetamol (following the dosage on the packet carefully).

And most people who develop it shouldn't have a problem - If breathing gets really bad though, get into hospital.

Prevention is the best thing and keeping away from groups of other people, keeping your distance etc. is the best to prevent either getting it or spreading it.

It's the first time in history we can save others by lying in front of the TV for a few weeks, we shouldn't fukk it up!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'm thinking of forming a sort of furtive and guilty club of people who like self-isolating. To some of us it feels like recently there was a 'click' and the world became more sensible :)

AGM (Never), Christmas Dinner Dance (Nope), Social Evenings (limited to one per century, attendance optional).

Rural

I'm thinking of forming a sort of furtive and guilty club of people who like self-isolating. To some of us it feels like recently there was a 'click' and the world became more sensible :)

AGM (Never), Christmas Dinner Dance (Nope), Social Evenings (limited to one per century, attendance optional).
I don't mind this lockdown one bit, I was always inclined to "self isolate" anyway, I don't like not being allowed to go for long walks with the dog (only 50 meters from home is allowed). Hubby is a social animal, but he's enjoying the lockdown too. ;)

Splodge

I don't mind this lockdown one bit, I was always inclined to "self isolate" anyway, I don't like not being allowed to go for long walks with the dog (only 50 meters from home is allowed). Hubby is a social animal, but he's enjoying the lockdown too. ;)
Hope you’re being gentle with him!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I think genuinely that so many people are monitoring developments with coronavirus at home and in international news that it is inevitable that half-baked updates appear from time to time, not because people are trying to sow misinformation but just because they want to compare their own reaction to it with that of others, so there's very little malevolence anywhere in that.

What does puzzle me is the people deliberately trying to spread alarmism and misinformation. It is like there is some kind of underground competition to see how many re-tweets and forwards the story gets.

I would suggest that social media companies should be asked to disable the 're-tweet' counters and number of 'likes' or 'views' on any piece of YouTube video or poster or piece of visual media being transferred around.

If you remove the motivator for anyone counting re-tweets or 'views' on their cooked up piece of misinformation, where they can't count who or what is most effective and who has gained the most views out of their attempt we may find that there is a sudden loss of interest in the game.

truthisfree

Their was claims on Facebook that people could pick up the virus from petrol pumps, and people should wear disposable gloves when using pumps and disposeof them afterwards. The HSE cheif when asked about this claim this evening, rubished this claim and said that their is no evidence to back this.
It's a handle like anything else just as likely to be contaminated as the door handle on shop or anywhere else that is used regularly by the public. The only difference being that there may well be traces of petrol on handle of pump which Coronavirus may not like seeing as its oily layer is broken down by soap.

Petrol evaporates very quickly and not everyone is a messy filler, I will certainly wear gloves filling petrol until I see proof that the virus has decided to ignore petrol pump handles.

StarryPlough01

Ok, I still have a stock of Toilet Paper.

What would be some creative alternatives to toilet paper ? ?

Apparently at one time people used a stick and if you picked up the stick in the wrong manner. You had; The wrong end of the stick ! !

So , creative replacements for toilet paper, please ! ! !
Following in the footsteps of your ancestors ... nettles from the field.

My only contribution re coronavirus is prepare for shortness of breath - fill in the gaps here. Then seek URGENT medical attention...

StarryPlough01

Blinding

Exactly, if you catch a member of your family daring to even *inhale* - let alone sneak one of your carefully cultivated vegetable garden cabbage leaves - you must then take decisive / swfit action.

I can highly recommend Irish field nettles, and they won't leave streaks in your underwear.

UK is going into lockdown - I was reading yesterday's The Times - front page sub-headline: 'Meetings of more than two banned.' By Francis Elliott political editor and Steven Swinford deputy political editor.

" ….Public gatherings of more than two are outlawed unless they are members of the same household."
IMO, politicians ( as they do ) are exploiting this pandemic for their own advantage - to shore themselves up. The Times has a front page photo of Boris Johnson posing with his clenched fists on the table - thumbnails pointing a his target audience.

Boris said : 'You must stay at home". I expect to hear about curfews - it's been floated…

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
A Prime Minister who would ordinarily have great difficulty in complying with that instruction himself, if past history is anything to go by.

StarryPlough01

A Prime Minister who would ordinarily have great difficulty in complying with that instruction himself, if past history is anything to go by.

Absolutely, Boris - himself - would flout the law.

Boris advised QEII to prorogue Parliament for longer than was the norm - 5 out of 8 weeks prorogation in important run up to Brexit. Supreme Court of UK unanimously ruled it unlawful, and said it prevented the Government being held to account. The 11 SC judges ruled that the Government had attempted to suspend Parliament in a 'clandestine manner.' And Boris had a constitutional responsibility - duty - to advise QEII in 'good faith,' which he did not.

SC ruling meant critical bills would now continue (e.g., domestic abuse, Brexit business…) and not have to start all over again ... from nothing at all.

If Boris had any self respect, he would have resigned.

______

Let's help our elderly relatives - do their shopping for groceries (toilet paper...), collect their essential medications (Ipramol nebules for nebuliser / Ventolin inhalers, diabetes and blood pressure tabs…) … keep them safe.

SupaValu was making people stand a metre behind the conveyor belt - with cashier shouting orders not to proceed until customer at till had finished packing up and gone. Tesco was in new territory with sales people telling customers conflicting advice - queue this way … No queue in this direction. Lidl allowed customers to use their own common sense with social distancing.

StarryPlough01

The Parting Glass

RTE One

@RTELateLateShow

A beautiful version of The Parting Glass from @Hozier with a dedication to all the people who have lost their lives to this virus, including the health worker who died today.

#LateLate #StayAtHome

Starry: Rumoured that Ryan Tubridy has a persistent cough (hopefully it's a nervous cough) - Beautiful soul Miriam O'Callaghan stepped up as first female presenter of the talk show in its 58 years.

Patslatt1

MAGIC BULLET TEST
The speed and simplicity of the Mologic test if it works out would be a magic bullet against the virus. It would allow people to return to work with a high level of confidence in the safety of workplaces. Another fast test by Robert Bosch company can be done in existing Bosch equipment in hospitals with results available in two hours but the test requirement for skilled technicians slows rollouts.
See Mologic and partners begin validation process for COVID-19 point-of-need diagnostic test - Mologic
Quote from link:
Following rapid assessments in the UK, the technology will be shipped to global validation partners including the Institut Pasteur de Dakar in Senegal, La Jolla Institute for Immunology in the United States, the Wuhan Institute of Virology in China, the University of Malaya in Malaysia, the Institute for Health Science Research Germans Trias I Pujol (IGTP) in Spain, and the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (Fiocruz) in Brazil.
Once ready, the device will allow users to test for exposure to the virus at home, in the community, or in the clinic, providing a result within 10 minutes, without the need for special training, electricity or a laboratory. The company is working in close partnership with the Institut Pasteur de Dakar to validate the COVID-19 test and manufacture at diaTROPiX, a new facility in Senegal. This will be the first time that a diagnostic kit created in the UK will be jointly manufactured in Africa, ensuring tests are available in settings with limited access to laboratory facilities.
(Mologic has a research partner in Northern Ireland)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom