"communities mirror each other"

McSlaggart

I have come to the conclusion that their is fundamental flaw in how the communities in northern Ireland our analysed. One basic concept is that the "communities" somehow "mirror each other".

The most basic flaw to this approach is that as with any society their are many different communities and they are dynamically changing all the time.

To ignore this and to reduce it to the "big" Nationalist V Unionist concept of course has some merit in a society which has historically been systematically segregated by its own "NI" government.

One stark difference is now apparent in how cultural "change" and the need for cultural change is addressed by the community.

One example is the way that Unionism is dealing/not dealing with the stark issue of Bonfires i find completely perplexing.

AhNowStop

Ha, Either they agree with it or they dont want to offend their voting base .. pathetic non-leadership as per usual..

The most pathetic thing though, is Unionists' (and others at times, e.g. RoI west Brits) constant attempted portrayal of "themuns are just as bad" .. there is NO equivocation though .. and that needs to be pointed out on a regular basis it seems...

PBP voter

The Alliance party is a Unionist party

vivabrigada

God help the majority of people who live in SB as she appears to be representing the minority in that parish thanks to that crazy voting system.
Change is on the way, they can't stop it.

raetsel

This is idiotic from Pengelly:

Ms Pengelly also faced criticism for reacting to the damage by saying the building was "fully insured" – remarks branded "hopelessly inadequate" by Alliance MLA Paula Bradshaw.
The building in question being the block of flats in the Sandy Row area damaged by last month's bonfire outrage.

Does the stupid woman not realise that even if the building was fully insured there is still a cost to someone, and of course the person paying the premium will probably face a price hike next year, and given their location adjacent to a huge annual bonfire site may find it problematic to get any insurer to take them on at a reasonable premium. I expect better from MP's than this sort of crap.

RadicalJacobin

I suppose a huge amount of the analysis comes down to one core thing. Who is doing it. There is certainly a focus in the 26 on the mantra of "Old IRA good, Provos bad", a view which is completely undermined by basic historical facts. Loyalist terrorism is swept under the rug or if it is addressed it is minimised. Unionists can try to stop change all they want but eventually they'll realise that there position in the UK is not unlike an obsessive Ex who is desperate to keep the relationship alive, all the while the other partner has moved on.

raetsel

The Alliance party is a Unionist party
No it isn't, ffs. Who told you that? The party officially states that it takes no stand on the issue( in order that both unionists and nationalists can come together to build a better future). One of their most prominent past MLAs said she supported a united Ireland just three years ago and broke no party rule by saying it. By the same token I'd expect someone like Naomi Long to be a soft unionist but not so dyed-in-the-wool that she'd never countenance Irish unity if she felt that circumstances justified it.
Ex-Alliance MLA Anna Lo: Why I'd vote for a united Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
Why do so many southern posters feel free to make silly interventions in northern politics without even knowing the basics?

Mickeymac

This is idiotic from Pengelly:

The building in question being the block of flats in the Sandy Row area damaged by last month's bonfire outrage.

Does the stupid woman not realise that even if the building was fully insured there is still a cost to someone, and of course the person paying the premium will probably face a price hike next year, and given their location adjacent to a huge annual bonfire site may find it problematic to get any insurer to take them on at a reasonable premium. I expect better from MP's than this sort of crap.

Majority of the CRN community, I believe are convinced, May/Brokenass and the Tory Government will pay that tab in some shady underhand deal and ensure it is not leaked to the Tory press for fear of the Grenfell high rise disaster victims hearing about it.

Mickeymac

No it isn't, ffs. Who told you that? The party officially states that it takes no stand on the issue( in order that both unionists and nationalists can come together to build a better future). One of their most prominent past MLAs said she supported a united Ireland just three years ago and broke no party rule by saying it. By the same token I'd expect someone like Naomi Long to be a soft unionist but not so dyed-in-the-wool that she'd never countenance Irish unity if she felt that circumstances justified it.
Ex-Alliance MLA Anna Lo: Why I'd vote for a united Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
Why do so many southern posters feel free to make silly interventions in northern politics without even knowing the basics?

You are really naïve if you think for one second PBP poster is a Southern poster.

raetsel

You are really naïve if you think for one second PBP poster is a Southern poster.
And you're a presumptuous, and rather lazy boll0cks. You're assuming that he's a northern unionist, but if you bothered your balls to check his posts you'd find that he's a regular participant in GAA threads and seems to know quite a bit about it. He's obviously from the south but doesn't like northerners. He's a Dub. Typical blowhard who knows f*ck all. And he has something else in common with you: he's a relentless troll.

CastleRay

I have come to the conclusion that their is fundamental flaw in how the communities in northern Ireland our analysed. One basic concept is that the "communities" somehow "mirror each other".

The most basic flaw to this approach is that as with any society their are many different communities and they are dynamically changing all the time.

To ignore this and to reduce it to the "big" Nationalist V Unionist concept of course has some merit in a society which has historically been systematically segregated by its own "NI" government.

One stark difference is now apparent in how cultural "change" and the need for cultural change is addressed by the community.

One example is the way that Unionism is dealing/not dealing with the stark issue of Bonfires i find completely perplexing.
You have come to the conclusion you don't like unionists. We know. :roll:

GDPR

You have come to the conclusion you don't like unionists. We know. :roll:
Some unionists are among the most wonderful people you could ever meet in my opinion but also some are among the most evil creatures in the Atlantic Isles. However I do think that in general the CNR is slightly superior to the PUL one though not nearly as much as they like to imagine they are. In some respects actually the PUL one is superior to them in general.

The central point in the OP though about the tribes not being perfect mirror images of each other I think is very true.

New Threads

Most Replies