• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Community service instead of jail.

tipp revolution

Alan Shatter criticised judges for not sentencing more offenders to community service instead of jail - he is absolutely right. Why - is the community service infrastructure not working?

Anyone who volunteers in say the tidying/maintenance of their local community knows how difficult it is to get people off their toins to come out to help - Why isnt community service widespread?

PS The judges will be seething over the port and stilton tonight.....

Last edited:

tipp revolution

:oops:

D

Dylan2010

it would probably cost more to manage them then the benefit of any makey uppy jobs they are given. He might like to expalin first all these lads with 60 or 70 convictions who cap it off by killing an old lady or other innocent person?

Rural

I agree Tipp, only those who are a danger to society (including property) should be locked away.

realistic1

Alan Shatter criticised judges for not sentencing more offenders to community service instead of jail - he is absolutely right. Why - is the community service infrastructure not working?

Anyone who volunteers in say the tidying/maintenance of their local community knows how difficult it is to get people off their toins to come out to help - Why isnt community service widespread? What constitutes community service anyway?

PS The judges will be seething over the port and stilton tonight.....

So in other words leave criminals in the area they come from, to continue terrorizing their victims, this is what has happened in the UK. There may be a case for low level criminals e.g. fines, driving offences etc.

sport02

Shatter picking more fights with the judiciary. He is in the job more than two years and where is the legislation on europes paradise for sham marriages, the little emerald isle. Too busy bickering with judges and dishing out citizenship. Is he dealing with Romas allowed to beg or some eastern europeans nicking from clothing banks. Oh I forgot, Gardai are powerless. Needs sorting.

Last edited:

tigerben

Well prison places will be needed for those of us not paying the new house tax!

tipp revolution

it would probably cost more to manage them then the benefit of any makey uppy jobs they are given. He might like to expalin first all these lads with 60 or 70 convictions who cap it off by killing an old lady or other innocent person?
Its absolutely shocking - from a legal friend of mine - same faces keep turning up in court - its an industry

tipp revolution

So in other words leave criminals in the area they come from, to continue terrorizing their victims, this is what has happened in the UK. There may be a case for low level criminals e.g. fines, driving offences etc.
Yes of course and tv licence evasion - but of course the big issue here is prevention in the first place like a holisitic education system and parental education/ responsibility and support. Now in my new republic.....

realistic1

Its absolutely shocking - from a legal friend of mine - same faces keep turning up in court - its an industry
Its called "legal aid". While there is a place for legal aid, it is been exploited by the criminal and legal profession. For criminals to have multiple convictions, this should be an obvious sign that the sentences given to these individuals by judges are way to lenient.

emulator

If they didn't, your legal friend would possibly be out of a job.... as you say, it's an industry. I think they should bring in the three strikes idea here. You could have three bands depending on how serious the crime was.

Low- 1st Strike: Usual sentence, 2nd Strike: Sentence X 2, 3rd Strike: Sentence X3

Something along those lines and also, bring in the regime they'll be using in the UK of cutting down on creature comforts. We are standing looking at the perfect conditions for a firestorm of crime in this Country unless something is done about it.

Pretty quickly....

tipp revolution

If they didn't, your legal friend would possibly be out of a job.... as you say, it's an industry. I think they should bring in the three strikes idea here. You could have three bands depending on how serious the crime was.

Low- 1st Strike: Usual sentence, 2nd Strike: Sentence X 2, 3rd Strike: Sentence X3

Something along those lines and also, bring in the regime they'll be using in the UK of cutting down on creature comforts. We are standing looking at the perfect conditions for a firestorm of crime in this Country unless something is done about it.

Pretty quickly....
What about the threat of losing benefits? I have anecdoctal evidence that this threat usually works in a particular minority section of our population.

B

Boggle

Its called "legal aid". While there is a place for legal aid, it is been exploited by the criminal and legal profession. For criminals to have multiple convictions, this should be an obvious sign that the sentences given to these individuals by judges are way to lenient.
I was going to write something arguing with the idea that legal aid is being abused but .... it is, like.
I suppose it wouldn't matter if criminals were dealt with but they aren't. Particularly when it comes to violent crime, it just doesn't seem to matter.

You will get more time for being in posession of drugs than for dancing on someone's head (or for raping them and their kids). It's stupid. Never once has a bag of cocaine or a bag of weed attacked anyone. Never once does it result in any meaningful prosecutions. It just ruins lives of people who are often forced to mind the stuff on threat of a serious beating (for which, ironically, they'd get a lighter sentence than for holding the drugs).

Our laws need to be cleaned out and evaluated. We need to prioritise the crimes that matter and ignore the ones that don't (or apply community service or some such to them) because surely we are all sick of the same scumbags causing trouble over and over again.

emulator

What about the threat of losing benefits?
What then ?

They will be forced to commit more crime regardless of the consequences because they have no money.... jail is the only way but it needs to be jail, not a Summer camp. TVs only in communal areas and nothing in the cells only books. :)

Mandatory training and education or you don't get to the communal area to watch the game.... so to speak.

turdsl

The arrogance of Shatter can only be compared with Reilly or Hogan, when it suited him
last week, he told us the executive and the judicary must be seperate now he thinks it is his job to tell the
judges what is an appropriate sentence. He saw fit to scuttle the governments own oireachtas bill
last year when he told 8 former A.Gs they were talking nonsense. A person who thinks he can do other
peoples job is usually damn all good at their own job.

D

Dylan2010

Our laws need to be cleaned out and evaluated. We need to prioritise the crimes that matter and ignore the ones that don't (or apply community service or some such to them) because surely we are all sick of the same scumbags causing trouble over and over again.
80/20 principle. Once someone has committed their 4th or 5th serious crime either violence or serious theft it should be 20 to 30 years on an island off the coast and f*** em. And the cost per prisoner shouldnt be more than their welfare payments.

tipp revolution

What then ?

They will be forced to commit more crime regardless of the consequences because they have no money.... jail is the only way but it needs to be jail, not a Summer camp. TVs only in communal areas and nothing in the cells only books. :)

Mandatory training and education or you don't get to the communal area to watch the game.... so to speak.
What if you cant read? - perfect opportunity to learn I suppose?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies