Compensate the Magdalene Women

seenitallb4

And shut down the Church while you're at it. Make all Catholics wear little stars on their arms and force them to have secret Masses underground.
Only the child abusers and those who protected them. If you want to invoke the Holocaust (cheaply), then we can go down that road. I wouldn't advise it- a fanatic oprgaization who dressed in black who imprisoned and abused the defenceless is a description that applies not only to the Nazis.

Oldira1

I may be wrong but in most cases was it not the families that put the women in these laundries? We are letting families off way too lightly in all our wishing to blame the church. While the nuns were often viscious old crones I have a problem with the fact it was ordinary families that put these women there. It is no point blaming the culture. People know what is right and wrong and the first compensation should come from the families........'that is why the one who handed me over to you has the greater guilt'

YesSireeeBob

I may be wrong but in most cases was it not the families that put the women in these laundries? We are letting families off way too lightly in all our wishing to blame the church. While the nuns were often viscious old crones I have a problem with the fact it was ordinary families that put these women there. It is no point blaming the culture. People know what is right and wrong and the first compensation should come from the families........'that is why the one who handed me over to you has the greater guilt'
Good point this was in the sunday tribune
Ad Lib - Anonymous, Longford

My mother and my father were very strict country people and typically they didn't want the neighbours, or my family and friends, to know that I was pregnant - even though I was in my early twenties at the time. So I had to be carted off to a home in Mullingar for single mothers to hide the pregnancy

if you read the full article you have to ask yourself has Ireland really changed?
http://www.politics.ie/culture-community/102462-seems-ireland-hasnt-changed-all.html

Captain Con O'Sullivan

When they say 'strict country people' they mean people who were so indoctrinated by catholicism that they couldn't bear to have it said that one of their family was 'sinful'.

Where did that piece of psychology come from?

cactusflower

Good point this was in the sunday tribune
Ad Lib - Anonymous, Longford

My mother and my father were very strict country people and typically they didn't want the neighbours, or my family and friends, to know that I was pregnant - even though I was in my early twenties at the time. So I had to be carted off to a home in Mullingar for single mothers to hide the pregnancy

if you read the full article you have to ask yourself has Ireland really changed?
http://www.politics.ie/culture-community/102462-seems-ireland-hasnt-changed-all.html
This was certainly true in the 90s - I had a big row with a Catholic agency that thought it was progressive for building a home for single girls having babies hidden down the narrowest back street they could find.

This was not good, but the order of what happened to women who had their
lives stolen off them was different altogether.

The Church created the culture in which pregnancy out of wedlock was such a stigma.

Aindriu

Aindriu

Absolutely correct that children should be born into stable family units, where they have the best chance of fruitful lives.
I would agree but that does not give the Church or State the right to imprison women in Gulags for their lives does it! :mad:

Prester Jim

Absolutely correct that children should be born into stable family units, where they have the best chance of fruitful lives.
Yes the dropping of taboos is a double edged sword.
We now have a society were unstable single parent familys are becoming the norm. Anyone who says that isn't linked to increased criminality and violence is deluding themselves.
The old way single women were treated atrociously and utterly unjustly.

There is unfortunately no true black and white with some taboos.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

cactusflower
The Church created the culture in which pregnancy out of wedlock was such a stigma.
Absolutely true. Women and girls have been having unplanned pregnancies for probably around 3 million or more years now.

In Ireland under the old social system which predated christianity it was a matter of recognition.

If a man publicly acknowledged a child was his then he was regarded as its father and responsible for the child. If he did not recognise the child (a chieftain for political reasons not wanting to upset his named heir for example) then the child was not punished by the concept of 'illegitimacy' but regarded as 'wronged'.

Altogether more civilised than putting them in a catholic concentration camp, IMHO.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Why did their familes send them to the Magdalene Laundries? And was there a brochure explaining how children sent there could expect to be sexually abused, starved and treated like slave labourers?

Their families sent them to the Laundries because of the utterly vomitous attitude of the brainwashing catholic church in Ireland and because they were so indoctrinated they handed over their children in order to 'save catholic face' in their own community.

What organisation was behind the promotion of that form of thinking in Ireland?

Prester Jim

Anyway to actually deal with the point.
The church should liquidize their (non essential, non charity) assets and pay compensation to all their victims.
The church is supposed to be a poor organization anyway, the materialism removes all credibility.
The state should be left out of it because we have too big a share in the redress board previously and can't afford it anymore.

toughbutfair

why do people talk about "government compensation" when they really mean the tax payer should give them money.

why should i give them my money? I did no wrong to them so they can flip off .

Seán E. Ryan

This idea that children should be born into a married family child production unit, so that said child will grow up proper, is part of the root cause for all these problems and atrocities that we must now deal with, or, as tradition holds, sweep under the carpet once more.

Most of the poor (the word "poor" here is important) wretches who ended up pregnant and in the clutches of vapid scum (the State and the Church) came from so-called "moral institutions" - wedlock. Thus proving that this alleged pearl of wisdom didn't spring forth from an oyster, more like it was a byproduct from a prairie oyster. And of course the intellectuals of both the State and the Church knew this, but they still wilfully (and still do) spouted this inane drivel anyway.

Married family child production units were the majority and were therefore obviously targeted as resources. Deviation from the stupidly derived norm ensured both the slave trade and slave labour were both lauded as an example of Irish justice and good old Christian morality.

Why does it not surprise us that the State and its lapdog do not wish to compensate the Magdalene women?

They're only women after all. Misogyny has long been the gaping wound, seeping copiously and obviously from Christianity and other delusions, for tens of centuries. How could a State, that only ever intended to serve and represent the few, not follow such a vile lead?

Indeed it's still ok in this deeply traumatised little nation of ours to publicly belittle and demean unmarried mothers. As if the beliefs and attitudes of the self-appointed judges had a foundation in either logic or reality. Compensation isn't the only thing that needs to happen here. Some inner reflection and some thinking would go a long way too.

borntorum

Sue the Church, by all means. But (unless there's proof that the Gardai were involved, and I'm unaware of any such proof) the State was not to blame for the Magdalene Launderies

Electro

Prester jim said:
The church is supposed to be a poor organization anyway, the materialism removes all credibility.
No it doesn't. You need capital to undermine capitalism. Same with materialism. The tools of an established system must be used in order to gain agency and undermine it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies