Compensate the Magdalene Women

cactusflower

Sue the Church, by all means. But (unless there's proof that the Gardai were involved, and I'm unaware of any such proof) the State was not to blame for the Magdalene Launderies
There was an unholy alliance of Politicians, bureaucracy, business and Church. The Church was relied on to cement the social order, and to make sure that above all people knew and didn't question their place.
The State knew all right.

Drumcondra wasn't exactly out of sight.

cactusflower

Compartmentalizing abuse ? forgotten voices : The God Squad

James Smyth on the blog here goes into the arguments for not compensating the women who worked in the Magdalene laundries. He makes these points:

The Magdalen laundries were excluded from the Residential Institutions Redress legislation. They were deemed private, charitable institutions. Women, the state asserted, voluntarily committed themselves seeking asylum. The four religious congregations involved in operating Ireland’s laundries—the Good Shepherds, Sisters of Charity, Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge, Mercy Sisters—all gave testimony before the Commission’s confidential committee. But, they only addressed their management of industrial and reformatory schools.

Magdalen survivors were not invited to appear before the confidential committee. The Commission, of course, was charged with inquiring into child abuse. Magdalens were, in the main, women not children. And, age continues to inform the state’s rationale for disqualifying survivors’ claims for redress. So too, however, does the question of liability. Unlike the industrial and reformatory schools system, the government disclaims any function in licensing or inspecting the laundries. It purports never to have funded them directly.

But the state always relied on the availability of the Magdalen laundries to conceal “problem women.” It continually facilitated the transfer of women into the nuns’ care. It helped make possible a labor force through court referrals. It apportioned lucrative contracts for state institutional laundry (e.g., hospitals, military, etc.). After 1960, it provided the nuns with capitation grants for women on remand from the courts.

The state always ignored the flagrant disregard for the women’s civil and constitutional rights: false imprisonment; the absence of due process; exploitative and dangerous work practices; the denial of educational and human developmental resources; as well as emotional, physical and, in some cases, sexual abuse. The department of justice never regulated institutions routinely used by members of the judiciary to incarcerate Irish citizens.

Ireland’s Magdalen survivors are denied a distinct redress and reparations scheme despite the state’s culpability, complicity, and collusion in these abusive institutions. And no one in Ireland—not the religious congregations, not the Hierarchy, not the state—has apologized to the Magdalen communities.

Last edited:

toughbutfair

Don't care.

These people or the ones that were raped by priests etc had a terrible time but why should I pay them?

People talk about "the state" paying them, do they not realise it is their money?

I earn my money and everybody else can fukk off if they try to take it.

oscartango

Would you object to the state going after the Catholic Church for the money on behalf of the women ?

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Just where I was going next, Oscartango. There is absolutely no reason why the state cannot take all church assets and pay the compensation out of it.

In the words of a very famous honorary Irishman;

'How many tanks has the Pope got?' (Johnjo O'Stalin).

oscartango

If we can effectively nationalise banks, then we can take church property no bother - especially as we paid for it all in the first place anyway.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

And any objections on legal grounds should be met with the following response;

"The Irish state has as much concern for the legalities of the 100% levy on the catholic church in Ireland as the catholic church had for the legality of their clerics' behaviour."

oscartango

You know the pope has a holiday home outside Vatican City - well, if he was in Ireland we could tax that.

In fact, we should immediately find out how many effective-second-homes the bishops and priests have and set to work. :)

oscartango

But this isn't about hatred, however heinous the church's crimes and however complicit the state had been in them.

This is about equity and justice.

oscartango

The church or the state ?

The state should pursue the church for compensation for these unfortunate women. Only a few years ago, some nuns were selling up property for development in Drumcondra and intended leaving the bodies of Magdalen women in their graves there to be built upon by house-builders. Only when there was a public outcry did the nuns relent, and even then they wanted the government - i.e. you - to pay for the exhumations and reburials in Glasneven.

These people are heartless b@stards and should be financially screwed into the ground.

(And that's me being charitable.)

toughbutfair

I don't like FF taking my money either. Two wrongs don't make a right though.

The people that suffered don't deserve my money, it is mine. They should get zero compensation from the taxpayer as should the children abused etc. Sue the guilty, but hands off my money.

oscartango

I have a certain amount of sympathy for Toughy's viewpoint.

It was not the ordinary taxpayer of today who committed these foul crimes. It was the institutional Catholic Church and their collaborators in the Department of Education, the political parties (particularly FF) and elsewhere.

However, there is a collective 'stain' on the conscience of the nation for allowing and indeed facilitating this abuse, so the least the state can now do is go after the institutional Catholic Church and those others responsible for financial and criminal redress.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Yep. I still see the dead hand of the vatican's peasants inside the Irish government in 'renegotiating' the percentage payable by church and state.

I am also dead sure that those same little rats are well aware that the CB have transferred assets to the Edmund Rice Schools Trust in order to declare the CB 'bust'.

Whereas if the Criminal Assets Bureau were charged with obtaining the money from the religious orders then they have the necessary powers to declare the Edmund Rice Schools Trust a 'blind' for the CB and take those assets.

Something still smells very wrong from inside the Irish civil system about all this.

Disabled student

Absolutely correct that children should be born into stable family units, where they have the best chance of fruitful lives.
The problem as regards to the RCC, stable family units is not the issue. It's the culture that RCC created was a loveless climate/envirnoment in their boarding schools occupied with beating , v little food. Nuns were a lot worse than the Christian Brothers. They created a toilet regime which created a hell for us.

Even to this day, these Nuns have had denied and denied re toilet regime as that was noted by Justice Ryan.

See a link to this:

Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse | Volume II - Chapter 16

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies