• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Compensation culture

Northsideman

cobhguy

Any stats to prove me wrong? The system is set up to reward the legal profession by enabling them to take on many many many spurious personal injury claims. It's the judiciary keeping themselves and their colleagues in business and it's so easy to get a payout that we've got people coming in from abroad to stage accidents in the hope of a minimum 5 figure payout.
Almost 1/3 of the 30,000 Compensation cases lodged in 2017 where settled by the Injuries Board. That was over 10,000 cases, where there was no big paycheck for the Solicitors and the average payout was 24,000. So all that saved court time and all that money saved on legal costs. It seem like it is working

Last edited:

Ardillaun

Given your compo madness over there, I try to minimize the days I rent a car in Ireland now. The thought of being dragged interminably through the courts by some whiplash malingerer and their ravenous ‘legal team’ is too much to bear.

madmullah

Given your compo madness over there, I try to minimize the days I rent a car in Ireland now. The thought of being dragged interminably through the courts by some whiplash malingerer and their ravenous ‘legal team’ is too much to bear.
just make sure you have insurance and perhaps purchase extra to cover the excess. I hire regularly and while insurance is a large part of the cost it is cheaper than me having in to buy my own Third party insurance , purchase and maintain a car. Ihave over 40 years driving experience, have completed several types of defensive driving courses, driven on several continents experience, with only one non injury crash yet have been quoted over 3,500 for third party insurance.

stanley

just make sure you have insurance and perhaps purchase extra to cover the excess. I hire regularly and while insurance is a large part of the cost it is cheaper than me having in to buy my own Third party insurance , purchase and maintain a car. Ihave over 40 years driving experience, have completed several types of defensive driving courses, driven on several continents experience, with only one non injury crash yet have been quoted over 3,500 for third party insurance.

And then the rental car company will rip you off, if someone is in any way casual with them, does not take and agree pics prior to rental, expect the worse.

Gin Soaked

What are you driving and have you a no claims bonus? Do you have an Irish or EU licence. 3,500 is nuts.

Comprehensive is not much more. I was playing with the Allianz quote generator as part of my annual trawl of insurers and comp was just €15 extra onto 450 basic cover.

Ardillaun

So exactly what sort of car insurance should a tourist get and how much should it cost on a very small (automatic) car?

sic transit

And then the rental car company will rip you off, if someone is in any way casual with them, does not take and agree pics prior to rental, expect the worse.
How widespread is the problem beyond the tabloid headlines and what seem to be limited reported experiences?

stanley

How widespread is the problem beyond the tabloid headlines and what seem to be limited reported experiences?

Go rent a car yourself or ask friends who have done, you can smell of their behaviour that you have to be even more aware than normal business transactions.

The scamming, IMO, goes well beyond "tabloid headlines" and these people have prior access to your credit/debit card.

Fr. Ted Crilly

Go rent a car yourself or ask friends who have done, you can smell of their behaviour that you have to be even more aware than normal business transactions.

The scamming, IMO, goes well beyond "tabloid headlines" and these people have prior access to your credit/debit card.
Whenever I rent a car abroad, I take pictures from all angles before I drive away and when I bring it back.
Also, if you notice something which isn't marked on the rental contract i.e a small scratch etc, make sure to inform them and have it added to the contract before you take possession.

stanley

Whenever I rent a car abroad, I take pictures from all angles before I drive away and when I bring it back.
Also, if you notice something which isn't marked on the rental contract i.e a small scratch etc, make sure to inform them and have it added to the contract before you take possession.

It is very much "caveat emptor" when dealing with car rental companies, they are sharks.

sic transit

And yet still not evidence of widespread behaviour. Who regulates the sector?

drjimryan2

Fr. Ted Crilly

Erudite Caveman

Rented dozens and dozens of cars here and abroad, and never once had an issue.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies