Compensation culture

artfoley56

The GAA reference was interesting. Her father is best remembered for the debacle around Tallaght stadium that cost the GAA 2.5m. Maybe thats where her sense of entitlement comes from....
ah yes, the council house for shamrock rovers

Buchaill Dana

ah yes, the council house for shamrock rovers
Which they put millions into. He led a doomed crusade to get the GAA in for free, for unspecified games, at an additional cost on 15m to the taxpayer.

Its valid to ask did she get her attitude to other peoples money from him.

artfoley56

Which they put millions into. He led a doomed crusade to get the GAA in for free, for unspecified games, at an additional cost on 15m to the taxpayer.

Its valid to ask did she get her attitude to other peoples money from him.
the council certainly put millions into it. where did rovers get the money considering theyd recently gone to the wall and were kipping on shel's sofa? or did they get the money after theyd moved in

agree re baileys creaming the system

Ardillaun

Given the roasting this chancer has received, there may be hope for the country yet.

Last edited:

Northsideman

The GAA reference was interesting. Her father is best remembered for the debacle around Tallaght stadium that cost the GAA 2.5m. Maybe thats where her sense of entitlement comes from....
Complete and utter bullsh!te, her father had feck all to do with it. The local club Thomas Davis tried to get access to the ground, Bailey was hardly involved at all. You figures are also pure made up lies. Surely you as an ex Dublin Inter County star player should know that? I'm quite happy to debate this, take your time.

stanley

Complete and utter bullsh!te, her father had feck all to do with it. The local club Thomas Davis tried to get access to the ground, Bailey was hardly involved at all. You figures are also pure made up lies. Surely you as an ex Dublin Inter County star player should know that? I'm quite happy to debate this, take your time.
Looks like "star player", BD, is blown out of the water again, he really should give up commenting on any sports related issues, it continually leads to disappointment, depression will follow and then possibly an "Angela Kerins" situation.

Orbit v2

Can't find a link online but there's a report in today's IT about a €7.5 million award to a boy with autism, which it is claimed was caused by his difficult birth.

No liability was accepted by the state, and well it might, as autism is generally accepted to be hereditary and no more caused by a difficult birth, than by vaccines.

What's next then? A multi million euro award for autism caused by vaccines?

stanley

Given the roasting this chancer has received, there may be hope for the country yet.

Need to be careful about using "roasting" to football chavs like BD, this is something they aspire to, as their heroes, pro football players, like nothing better than a good "roasting" with their mates and cannot see Maria volunteering to partake.

Ardillaun

Watcher2

Irish thespians, get off the stage - it’s way too dangerous.

They’ll have to bring in a rail around the edge for the Paddies.
Talk about abdicating personal responsibility. The director told her to move and she fell claiming it was the directors fault. The saying "If I told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?" springs to mind.

Jesus wept.

Ardillaun

galteeman

Some tourists to our fair isle have an unfortunate accident:

Let’s see if the Law Society are contacted and what dramatic action they then take.
Why do they have to be 'contacted'. You can be sure they already know about this and are devising a strategy to play it down or deflect attention.

Seán E. Ryan

If solicitors were forced to go the route of no foal no fee, in all civil actions where compensation was the objective, there'd be a real incentive to limit the number of bogus cases pursued and it would encourage solicitors to simplify cases (and speed the process up) by limiting themselves to including only established facts to submissions in the cases they pursue.

It would also facilitate those without resources in taking cases they otherwise may not have been able to pursue and in being able to find and engage competent representation.

The Free Legal Aid board must judge a case to be winnable to at least 51% probability in order to take a case. I've no respect for this board, but I'd suggest that this approach suggests at least a basic level of fairness, to both plaintiff and the respondent, insofar as the state's responsibilities towards its obligations to treat everyone fairly and to not try to game the legal system are concerned. This practice, it seems to me, would become a guiding ethos of solicitors, if no foal no fee became mandatory as I've described.

Last edited:

Orbit v2

If solicitors were forced to go the route of no foal no fee, in all civil actions where compensation was the objective, there'd be a real incentive to limit the number of bogus cases pursued and it would encourage solicitors to simplify cases (and speed the process up) by limiting themselves to including only established facts to submissions in the cases they pursue.

It would also facilitate those without resources in taking cases they otherwise may not have been able to pursue and in being able to find and engage competent representation.

The Free Legal Aid board must judge a case to be winnable to at least 51% probability in order to take a case. I've no respect for this board, but I'd suggest that this approach suggests at least a basic level of fairness, to both plaintiff and the respondent, insofar as the state's responsibilities towards its obligations to treat everyone fairly and to not try to game the legal system are concerned. This practice, it seems to me, would become a guiding ethos of solicitors, if no foal no fee became mandatory as I've described.
"No foal no fee" was tried before and while it might limit solicitors in taking these completely outlandish cases (like the one below), it obviously doesn't discourage the plaintiff. Quite the opposite. Though I think they may have been unduly hasty in getting rid of it, because there were other things like solicitors advertising which had a much more pernicious effect.

I don't think it would work to filter cases through the legal aid board either. That would be the same as making them a form of lay/unsworn and possibly unqualified judge and the board itself a quasi court.

Bizarre one this.

Boy whose speech was allegedly affected by Dublin Bus braking loses damages claim

I'd question the IT characterising it even as a minor accident. Buses brake. Unless they actually collide with another object, how can you call it an accident. But, at least the case was thrown out and costs were awarded against her.

Again, I don't think you could call the case fraudulent. The woman didn't tell any lies. In some ways, the issue for society is actually worse than that. She actually believed that the event had some effect on her son, and someone should pay her €15,000 as a result. That is the toxic effect that all the previous undeserved compensation awards has had on us.

Baron von Biffo

"No foal no fee" was tried before and while it might limit solicitors in taking these completely outlandish cases (like the one below), it obviously doesn't discourage the plaintiff. Quite the opposite. Though I think they may have been unduly hasty in getting rid of it, because there were other things like solicitors advertising which had a much more pernicious effect.

I don't think it would work to filter cases through the legal aid board either. That would be the same as making them a form of lay/unsworn and possibly unqualified judge and the board itself a quasi court.

Bizarre one this.

Boy whose speech was allegedly affected by Dublin Bus braking loses damages claim

I'd question the IT characterising it even as a minor accident. Buses brake. Unless they actually collide with another object, how can you call it an accident. But, at least the case was thrown out and costs were awarded against her.

Again, I don't think you could call the case fraudulent. The woman didn't tell any lies. In some ways, the issue for society is actually worse than that. She actually believed that the event had some effect on her son, and someone should pay her €15,000 as a result. That is the toxic effect that all the previous undeserved compensation awards has had on us.
And of course no foal no fee doesn't prevent someone taking a case without a solicitor, or even worse, using a McKenzie friend.

Ardillaun

The awards for soft tissue injuries are where we really shine:

A bruised thumb sustained in a fall at work which heals completely within days can still result in an average insurance payout of €17,000 in Ireland.
A typical big payment could be made for such a minor soft tissue injury and it would not involve any broken bones or ligament damage, said Peter Boland, director of the Alliance for Insurance Reform.
But the same soft tissue injury in Germany results in a maximum payout of €1,125 and Sweden does not allow any compensation payments for such minor injuries, he told the Sunday Independent.
Ireland's 'compo culture', which has resulted in a crisis of higher insurance premiums, is causing worsening problems for struggling businesses and is curtailing all kinds of community, charitable and sporting activities, he warned.

"Irish payments are completely out of kilter with the rest of the world. Action to combat the insurance crisis must be given more urgency by the Government," he said.

Last edited:

galteeman

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies